Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company keeping my credit card details

Options
  • 14-01-2013 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am currently building a house and purchased products via a credit card from a company who delivered them onsite quickly after purchase. There were 2 transactions to pay the bill (upon delivery) - 1 the nett price and 1 for the VAT (i didn't even bother asking why). That was all fine until i say on my online credit card statement yesterday that they had charged the VAT a 2nd time (~3 weeks after the first payment) - many hundreds of Euro. Of course i will ring them on this but what concerns me somewhat is that they kept my full credit card details that enabled them to do this. I thought companies were not supposed to do that ? Can anyone clarify ?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Its not illegal.

My insurance company take my payments via pos rather than dd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you did not authorise the payment, you should contact your credit card company.

It's different if you've agreed for subsequent payments to be taken. Then, the retailer would be allowed to do that. If they have just randomly double-dipped on your credit card, then there's a bit of a problem.

There's a *BIG* difference between an unauthorised transaction and authorised multiple transactions.

I would suggest contacting the credit card company for advice, then the retailer to seek an immediate refund.
    If there's an argument, as the transaction's not authorised, the card company would need to pursue it. They won't take too kindly to retailer putting through unauthorised transactions!
    Its not illegal.

My insurance company take my payments via pos rather than dd.

That's different if you've authorised a recurring charge to your card. It's similar to a Direct Debit.

Advertisement