Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Newport 2013

Options
  • 14-01-2013 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Me and 5 of the lads are hitting up Newport (Rhode Island) this summer for a J1... We're thinking that the more people we get on board the cheaper it will be for accommodation and would probably be better crack. Anyone interested pm me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kelleynangle

is there much work to be had there lads or do you know? http://www.facebook.com/kelley.nangle

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aido91

went there last summer. jobs were really easy to come by, i had a job within 2 days of arriving. loads of people worked 2, even 3 jobs. accommodation was a bit harder to find. there's also the stupid law in RI that not more than 5 unrelated people can live in a house together. 9 of us lived together for the summer, if the landlady came a lot of us were 'just visiting from Boston'. definitely share with people, we were comfortable enough like. i'd advise contacting someone in Newport about houses before going to be ahead of the game. we had to move house after june coz we couldnt get a house for the full summer. i'd highly recommend newport to anyone, had an amazing summer there, not too far from boston or new york either!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ClaireyFairey1

Hey guys,,,were thinkin of newport too and we know loads going there this summer! trying to organise accomodation at the minute..where are ye all thinking of staying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CNolan11

Was in talking to a lad from USIT today and he said jobs are easy to come by around Newport and that if you wanted to, 2 jobs wouldn't be too hard to get either! Is there any decent sites for accomm? Really struggling to find any decent ones

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

aido91 wrote: »
    went there last summer. jobs were really easy to come by, i had a job within 2 days of arriving. loads of people worked 2, even 3 jobs. accommodation was a bit harder to find. there's also the stupid law in RI that not more than 5 unrelated people can live in a house together. 9 of us lived together for the summer, if the landlady came a lot of us were 'just visiting from Boston'. definitely share with people, we were comfortable enough like. i'd advise contacting someone in Newport about houses before going to be ahead of the game. we had to move house after june coz we couldnt get a house for the full summer. i'd highly recommend newport to anyone, had an amazing summer there, not too far from boston or new york either!

Can I ask ya - what's the nightlife like in Newport? I've got the impression it's pretty full of Irish who all live and go out together, which really isn't what I wanted. Any American students living and working there over the summer or is it all Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 aido91

yeah, i suppose most of the irish there stuck together, in terms of accommodation anyway, but there were plenty of american students around too that we did hang out with regularly enough. there was a group of american girls living upstairs from one of the irish houses and we often went out with them and their friends.

myself and a friend have decided on Newport, if anyone has any links or wants to join forces for finding a place to live - PM me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you want to hang with Americans then try to get a job at SRBA baileys beach, its s private beach club which employs about 80 during the summer when I was there , it was about 12 Irish and the rest locals, great craic and plenty of parties

ted1 wrote: »
    If you want to hang with Americans then try to get a job at SRBA baileys beach, its s private beach club which employs about 80 during the summer when I was there , it was about 12 Irish and the rest locals, great craic and plenty of parties

I heard you don't get tips at private clubs in Newport though, is that true?

shoos wrote: »

I heard you don't get tips at private clubs in Newport though, is that true?
    Yes it's partially true, it's a cashless club. At the end of the summer you may get some envelopes of members who you got on with, then at Christmas time you get a fat cheque from the beach club. When the members settle there bills they give a tip which I'd divided up between the staff.

You'll also pick up extra money by working parties in the club at night, baby sitting for members or working parties in the mansions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ShaneHogan1

well lads we're definitely going to Newport. We're looking for people to share a house with. There's 5 of us and we are after emailing landlords and stuff over there already. One of the landlords said that sharing rooms is very common but only 5 names can be on the lease and implied that he understands if there's more than 5 in the house. We don't mind loading as many as possible into a house if anyone else is interested get onto me on Facebook? We're trying to sort it ASAP and before we get over there https://www.facebook.com/shane.hogan.96

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lauren fanning

Hey me and two of my friends are heading to Newport this summer and were looking to people to share accommodation with. We've found a nice 2 bed house with five beds and a pull out bed so were looking for 2-3 people who want to share with us. E-mail me on lauren.fanning@ucdconnect.ie .

well lads we're definitely going to Newport. We're looking for people to share a house with. There's 5 of us and we are after emailing landlords and stuff over there already. One of the landlords said that sharing rooms is very common but only 5 names can be on the lease and implied that he understands if there's more than 5 in the house. We don't mind loading as many as possible into a house if anyone else is interested get onto me on Facebook? We're trying to sort it ASAP and before we get over there https://www.facebook.com/shane.hogan.96
    Shane look up century 21,
    We rented a fantastic house about three times the size of our friends. The address is 5 bonniecrest gardens, Harrison avenue. Great for parties they were looking for 8k but settled for 5 for the summer . Landlord owns a few bars, clubs and restaurants so could sort you out 10 min walk to town
    Finally off licences are closed Sundays so stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ShaneHogan1

ted1 wrote: »
    Shane look up century 21,
    We rented a fantastic house about three times the size of our friends. The address is 5 bonniecrest gardens, Harrison avenue. Great for parties they were looking for 8k but settled for 5 for the summer . Landlord owns a few bars, clubs and restaurants so could sort you out 10 min walk to town
    Finally off licences are closed Sundays so stock up.

Thanks lad appreciate the information! You hardly have contact details of this landlord like an email or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chica2013

Myself and five other girls are heading over to Newport and we're really having difficulty finding accommodation, has anyone had previous good experience with an agent or landlord that they could put us in touch with please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 liamdemps

I'm heading over to Newport Beach with two other lads on the 15th of May and we're looking for people to share accommodation with for 2 or 3 weeks as the rest of our mates are coming over then. I know it's a long shot to find others in the same situation.

With regards to finding accommodation it seems like it's eaiser to get it once you get over there, but as there's no hostals in Newport there's not much time to search for the right place as hotels are very pricey.

Anyway if you're interested let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SorinaJK

Me and 5 of the lads are hitting up Newport (Rhode Island) this summer for a J1... We're thinking that the more people we get on board the cheaper it will be for accommodation and would probably be better crack. Anyone interested pm me!

Have you found enough people are you still looking for some?? I'm a J1 as well, and looking for acomodation. Let me know will you , please. Thankyou

Advertisement