Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSA and finding out more

Options
  • 14-01-2013 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

I've read the sticky on the PSA and EN50131
    I've also read some other information about that somewhere else also
    and from that
    While it seems very clear to me, I'd still like to confirm a few things,

1. Does the PSA have some rights protected emblem to issue to licensed installers? so people know a licensed installer or ID? I haven't noticed any on Alarm installers vans in traffic? nor have I heard of (another) person being offered such ID, which i would have imagined would be standard practice for licensed installers (if anything to get the word around even if doing quotes)

2. I have an older alarm, I'm interested to make some changes or replace it, but Im interested to do it myself, as much for the interest of doing it myself as a project. I don't look for any discount from my home insurance as my current alarm is old so doesn't meet current standards and if i fitted a new one neither would it as I am not licensed, which leads to my next question.

3. As far as I can tell, it seems its an offence only to either employ a non PSA licensed individual or what seems worse (to me anyway) to purport to be a licensed installer and seek payment for jobs not licensed to carry out.

BUT it doesn't say you cant install your own system or help your friend fix their alarm for free, is that correct? as that seems to be the case to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

To answer your questions
    1 - PSA only issue ID to manned guards. Installation companies will all have a PSA number, you can check this online. They will also have their own company ID
    2 - true
    3 - see 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I helped someone replace a battery recently, he told me what he was quoted, which I thought was excessive, my concern was that the guy didn't offer to tell him that he was PSA and if had been quoted and then said guy turned up to do the work, he'd be in a difficult position to turn the person away, mainly wanting to just get his alarm sorted. I asked if he had confirmed if the person was PSA certified, but he didn't know what the PSA even was.

So even if an installer is genuine, then they still have no way of confirming that to a customer??
    If they issue ID to security guards, then why not have a different ID (date limited, with a photo?) for installers??

So 3. does that mean yes, you can do your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

Yes I think you can do your own and you can do someone else's as well just so long as you don't get paid.
    Installers are supposed to have id with photo btw, but they provide it themselves and its not issued by psa. Are you worried that someone will pretend to be a licensed installer or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Yes I think you can do your own and you can do someone else's as well just so long as you don't get paid.
    Installers are supposed to have id with photo btw, but they provide it themselves and its not issued by psa. Are you worried that someone will pretend to be a licensed installer or something?

Im not worried as I'm aware of it from having read about it here a good while ago and have briefly looked it up myself, having said that it seems a bit arduous to get a licence number and then check that online, if thats even possible. Anyway I plan to try do my own (maybe with a few pointers/advice here :)), its just on the back burner as I have a few other things to do for the next while, but my memory was jogged when someone I know got a quote about replacing a battery.

Most people dont seem to be aware of PSA regarding alarm installs or repairs too? yet hiring someone seems to be as much of an offence as someone doing the work without a licence, which I find a bit strange as it isn't really advertised at all??? I've never heard it being mentioned other than here or when I looked it up, so it would seem a standardized ID would be a good idea, if installers just do up their own ID then so could anyone.

Advertisement