Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right handed, Left eye dominant

• 14-01-2013 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi,
    I would like some suggestions please. I've been shooting for quite a while (target) and am always off to the left. When I got some guidance, I was told that I was left eye dominant and this was the problem, the man told me to learn to shoot left handed. I find this extremely difficult and am still better the old way.

Recently I got a new gun. It's a Winchester 70, .308 with a scope, really beautiful stock and I haven't shot it yet. Will the scope make it easier to shoot with my right eye, or should I hold my head over until I can see through the scope with my left dominant eye? (not really comfortable but I could get use to it)

I really need help with this, I'm planning on taking up skeet shooting (with my Win. 12G) and of course will not be using a scope with that.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'm right handed, left eye dominant, and shoot left handed. I always have done since I was a kid, never took any consideration or decision, was just natural and obvious to me. Others would shoot right handed as it's what feels natural. If you're awkward trying to shoot left handed, it would go away in time, but if you feel good shooting right handed, I wouldn't be too inclined to change. There's no reason you can't shoot consistent, good groups without flyers with either eye. When you say your shots are off to the left, do you mean all your groups are consistently to the left and in the same place or your groups are nice and central and you shoot flyers to the left?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

Consistently to the left in the same group (if that is what your asking?).

I'm female and not that strong, when I tried shooting with my left hand it was difficult to hold the gun up. Maybe I could work on my strength, but I've been shooting for 35 years now (I'm in the States) and it would be very hard to change this late in life. It's a shame I didn't know when I was younger so something could have been changed then.

I'm only about 3-4" off, and it's consistent but I would love to get a bulls eye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If you consistently group to the left, change the sights to bring your group into the middle. No more problem. No point trying to make any allowances or change which hand you shoot with when there are sights on the gun to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

Now why did I think of that :o (I'm feeling pretty stupid now, lol)

Thank you so much for great advice! I really don't know how to do it but I'll ask the fellows at the range to help me with it. My big brother that passed away in 09' was my go-to man with guns. Between him and my male friends all I did was load and shoot, they did all the adjusting and mostly we just went to junk yards and blew up stuff.

With the talks of gun control here in the states the gun (all kinds) are flying off the shelves as is ammo. I have joined in so whatever we get will be grandfathered in. Last I heard since this weekend nothing will be changed, just a lot of politicians running off at the mouth.

I'm glad to know there is an easy solution to my left eye ~ right hand shooting problem. Wish I could buy you a drink or cup of coffee but it's a little far across the pond (assuming your in Ireland).

I'll be going skeet shooting now, wonder what they taste like.....:D

Thank you! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 averagefox

you can always try wearing glasses with a small patch to impare vision out of the dominant eye which will allow your right eye to take over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I am the same, I shoot right handed and am left eye dominant.

Fair enough, good eyesight is needed when using iron sights, but does it really matter if you are looking through your slightly weaker eye when using a scope or red dot sight?

Is it worth retraining yourself to left handed shooting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i am the same and only discovered it when i took up clay shooting some years ago.

i learned to shoot left handed, i think it's the only way with clay shooting.

it was awkward at first but coouldn't imagine doing it the other way now!

Rifle shooting is different i accept but if shooting skeet you will have a major issue

keep at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭alalkovitch

I'm right handed but shoot with my left due to a lazy right eye, (cant see much with it at any distance ) it takes very little practice to get used to it, especially if bench shooting or prone off a bipod...after a while it will be the most natural thing in the world....and when I say I'm right handed I don't exaggerate, I'm a tradesman and couldn't put in a screw left handed but I can shoot...like I say practice....if you lost your right arm you'd have two choices, give up or learn a different way ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭ace86

I am the same as the guys I'm Right handed but Left Eye Dominant bcos i have a lazy right eye and can't see very far with it to be honest and is useless for shooting. I never took any notice of firing from the left shoulder or using my left hand bcos this felt right for me and I have always done and works for me. I am also a member of the RDF and firing the Steyr posses a problem with my poor eye sight and I try fire it best I can, I can't use left shoulder bcos hot brass be flying across my face and maybe hit me in my eye and hurt me. I had a crack off a pistol one day and it feels right for me to catch and fire it from my Right hand but I think i will have to use my left hand bcos I had to bring it over in front of my left eye to sight it and I feel I was puting myself at a disadvantage really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭cw67irl

ace86 wrote: »
    I am the same as the guys I'm Right handed but Left Eye Dominant bcos i have a lazy right eye and can't see very far with it to be honest and is useless for shooting. I never took any notice of firing from the left shoulder or using my left hand bcos this felt right for me and I have always done and works for me. I am also a member of the RDF and firing the Steyr posses a problem with my poor eye sight and I try fire it best I can, I can't use left shoulder bcos hot brass be flying across my face and maybe hit me in my eye and hurt me. I had a crack off a pistol one day and it feels right for me to catch and fire it from my Right hand but I think i will have to use my left hand bcos I had to bring it over in front of my left eye to sight it and I feel I was puting myself at a disadvantage really.

I bet you didnt declare that on your medical :-)

• Advertisement

cw67irl wrote: »
    I bet you didnt declare that on your medical :-)

Declare what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭cw67irl

The lazy eye, It would affect your enlistment

cw67irl wrote: »
    The lazy eye, It would affect your enlistment

well it didnt effect my enlistment bcos I did a full medical and I passed it and I'm still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Just cover your good eye or the eye your not using with a patch. Some people just black out the lense of there safety Glass's.

Advertisement