Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballinasloe Canal

Options
  • 14-01-2013 4:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Does anyone know if the Ballinasloe canal is walkable from where it connects with the Grand Canal all the way to Ballinalsoe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not really. The harbour has an apartment complex built into it, the motorway is built on top of it with no path left to walk over or under the motorway.
    A small segment of the canal has incorperated into The Hymany Way (HW4 - Cloonascragh to Aughrim) but it's not nearly as well kept as say the Grand Canal Way or even the area around Kilbeggan Canal Harbour. The Canal path has been incorporated into private farmland after that and then into a Bord Na Mona bog rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 brian grey

flazio, thanks for your response. I shall have to find another way to walk from Shannonbridge to Ballinasloe. Would you know of a route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

brian grey wrote: »
    flazio, thanks for your response. I shall have to find another way to walk from Shannonbridge to Ballinasloe. Would you know of a route?
    Shannonbridge wouldn't be the start point for access to the Canal, anyhows, canal started just acrosss the river from the place where the Brosna and the grand join the Shannon (edit ShannonHarbour on the Offaly side), it's not an easy walk, on either bank to Shannonbridge, along the Shannon.

I'm not 100% certain, but there's probably some walking trails along the route from Shannonbridge to B'Sloe, the main road will not very scenic is probably the easiest route to walk

also, given the time of year, the callows are flooded and most of the fields along the Suck are also flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 brian grey

Bogger77,

Thanks for your reply. I'm planning to walk Dublin to Galway along the Grand Canal in August 2014 and am looking for a route from Shannon Harbor or Shannonbridge to Ballinasloe and then from there to Galway. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

you could be lucky and hitch a lift on a cruiser, the Suck is navigitable to B'sloe,there's a lock downstream of the town, and a small jetty in the town.

Is there any inland boating forums etc, online, you could post there for a lift?

Advertisement