Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two bills from two companies !!

Options
  • 14-01-2013 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I moved in to an apartment on the 1st of November 2012. I opened my account with Airtricity (I was previously their customer for a year), and after a month I realised that because I was already their customers I will have less discounts.
    So I rang Electric Ireland and switched to them (it was 3rd December I think). Then I got a bill from them for 19 days from 3 Dec to 21 Dec 12 which amounted to €42.59 . For 19 DAYS that is a huge bill, as when I was with Airtricity I was receiving bills of €70 for 60 days ( taking into account that I had electric heating).
    On the 10th of January 2013 I received an e-mail from Airtricity with my bill €75, the billing period was from 1/11/2012 to 07/01/2013. Like what the hell?! How is this even possible ? I closed my account with Airtricity at the beginning of December.
    How is this even possible that I received a bill from two companies ?
    What should I do now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

probably an account closure fee and opening fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sandraa93

probably an account closure fee and opening fee?

I wouldn't really say so as it clearly states on the bill the units used, it's just like an usual bill, if it was an account closure and opening fee then I presume it would say it on the bill. Also, when you open an account with Airtricity you have 60 days to close it without any fee, and I closed my account within 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

are they estimates?

are they estimates?

Yes, they are estimates

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Sandraa93 wrote: »
    Yes, they are estimates
    Which may explain why one (ESB) appears so high, but it doesn't explain the two bills. Ring Airtricity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I moved in to an apartment on the 1st of November 2012. I opened my account with Airtricity (I was previously their customer for a year), and after a month I realised that because I was already their customers I will have less discounts.
    So I rang Electric Ireland and switched to them (it was 3rd December I think). Then I got a bill from them for 19 days from 3 Dec to 21 Dec 12 which amounted to €42.59 . For 19 DAYS that is a huge bill, as when I was with Airtricity I was receiving bills of €70 for 60 days ( taking into account that I had electric heating).
    On the 10th of January 2013 I received an e-mail from Airtricity with my bill €75, the billing period was from 1/11/2012 to 07/01/2013. Like what the hell?! How is this even possible ? I closed my account with Airtricity at the beginning of December.
    What should I do now?
    Your Airtricity bills were underestimated and now a reading has been taken for your new provider and there is a discrepancy on your last Airtricity bill which must be paid. this may be what the Electric Ireland bill fir 7 days is for. (€70 for 60 days is very low considering you had electric heating!).

your next bill should be from electric Ireland around the 23rd of February

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Your Airtricity bills were underestimated and now a reading has been taken for your new provider and there is a discrepancy on your last Airtricity bill which must be paid. this may be what the Electric Ireland bill fir 7 days is for. (€70 for 60 days is very low considering you had electric heating!).

your next bill should be from electric Ireland around the 23rd of February

There is no way that they were underestimated because when I was with Airtricity that is from November 2011 to November 2012 they were always sending me a text about 1,2 days before the bill to submit the meter readings, and I was sending the meter readings to them so they were very accurate. Also, I was living on my own in one bedroom apartment, I didn't use much heating and I was barely cooking, so that's why the bills were €70 for 60 days.

I would ignore the Airtricity bill but contact them and tell them it is an overlap of your new electric Ireland bill and that since 3rd of December you were no longer their customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

There is no way that they were underestimated because when I was with Airtricity that is from November 2011 to November 2012 they were always sending me a text about 1,2 days before the bill to submit the meter readings, and I was sending the meter readings to them so they were very accurate. Also, I was living on my own in one bedroom apartment, I didn't use much heating and I was barely cooking, so that's why the bills were €70 for 60 days.

You should count the amount of units and not the amount of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Yes, they are estimates
    There is no way that they were underestimated because when I was with Airtricity that is from November 2011 to November 2012 they were always sending me a text about 1,2 days before the bill to submit the meter readings, and I was sending the meter readings to them so they were very accurate. .

Yes, it's an estimate & there is no way they were underestimated? WHAT? Moving on.

All you need to do is find out what meter reading you had when Electric Ireland took over the account. Then find out what reading Airtricity are billing you to. If the numbers match and you're not being charged other fees, I can only say that everything would appear to be in order. Keep in mind that the highest bills are often seen in December to March. Many electric and gas bills double for that period.

• Advertisement

goz83 wrote: »
    Yes, it's an estimate & there is no way they were underestimated? WHAT? Moving on.

All you need to do is find out what meter reading you had when Electric Ireland took over the account. Then find out what reading Airtricity are billing you to. If the numbers match and you're not being charged other fees, I can only say that everything would appear to be in order. Keep in mind that the highest bills are often seen in December to March. Many electric and gas bills double for that period.

Well the bill that I received NOW from Airtricity is an estimate, whereas all the other bills that I was receiving from November 2011 till November 2012 from Airtricity weren't estimates ! Is it clear for you now ? Or not really...

Okay, let's leave out the issue with the high bill from Electric Ireland, I already paid it so it's done and dusted.
    The main issue here is why the hell I received two electricity bills from two different companies..
    I'm going to ring Airtricity tomorrow and see what they tell me..

Airtricity have continued to bill you despite being told you are no longer their customer and despite not being able to get any meter reading from the ESB for your address because only your current company will be entitled to meter readings,(this is why the bill they sent is estimated!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Well the bill that I received NOW from Airtricity is an estimate, whereas all the other bills that I was receiving from November 2011 till November 2012 from Airtricity weren't estimates ! Is it clear for you now ? Or not really...

Okay, let's leave out the issue with the high bill from Electric Ireland, I already paid it so it's done and dusted.
    The main issue here is why the hell I received two electricity bills from two different companies..

The posts I was referring to ARE contradictory! YES. What you posted AFTER cleared that up....REALLY. I won't be responding to anymore of your posts. Maybe Airtricity customer care have some grudge against you and didn't bother cancelling your account. Wouldn't be a surprise with the way you responded to my post, which pointed out your contractions and also provided you with good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Just be aware that this is the same the world over.

The billing period may not be the same as the usage period.

E.G. We moved supplier here in the Netherlands. Our last bill from the previous supplier came after the first bill from the new supplier.

The only thing you have to check for is that the units you were billed for is correct.

I understand it can be confusing but with Electric/Gas you're effectively paying an average amount every month to cover your usage for the year. The easiest way to ensure that you pay the actual amount every month is to submit a meter reading 2 weeks prior to your billing cycle.

Its not the same as say your phone bill where the usage is logged on the providers side so can be calculated every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

What should I do now?

The answer to your question is in your own post above.

Airtricity billed you from 01/11/12 until 07/01/13.

I'd imagine that this is their billing period, but if you look at units used you'd find that you were only billed for units used on the days during that billing period that that you were their customer.

I think you mentioned that the bill was estimated why didn't you give them a reading when you took over the apartment and a final reading when you decided you were switching to someone else.

The secret to proper billing from power supply companies is to try to give them accurate readings when you move into a property.
    When you decide to switch to another supplier make sure that they have a current reading.

Estimated bills are a nightmare look at the estimated usage reading and compare this to your current meter reading to check if the estimate has exceeded your usage.

Advertisement