Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asthma -aero chamber

Options
  • 14-01-2013 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

I had to gat an Aero- chamber for the little one,it was 60 euros at the local chemist.Afterwards i was told by my neighbour that you can buy very same product from a U.k chemist for a total of 18.50 euro including postage.Now tell me im wrong but does any else smell a rat.

Comments

that so wrong ..... hope your little one ok

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ganger wrote: »
    I had to gat an Aero- chamber for the little one,it was 60 euros at the local chemist.Afterwards i was told by my neighbour that you can buy very same product from a U.k chemist for a total of 18.50 euro including postage.Now tell me im wrong but does any else smell a rat.

Something like this ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004EKCIYI/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

It.Afterwards i was told by my neighbour that you can buy very same product from a U.k chemist for a total of 18.50 euro including postage

Did you check this is true before you started this thread?. Is it the exact same model and manufacturer?, has it been licensed here? Is it on special offer in UK pharmacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ganger

The same manufacturer,identical .

• Registered Users Posts: 21 noodles55

Think unfortunately thats how much they are...I needed one for my child too and nearly died myself when i went to pay for it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

paid mine about 35 euros in France. Still more expensive than the one in the UK, I wonder if it was a special offer as a quick search on Google.fr returned the same average price (28 to 35 euros) than I paid

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

does any else smell a rat.

why do you smell a rat?
    there is a standard 50% markup in all independant pharmacies.

go to tesco pharmacy, there mark up is less than 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ganger

60 euros here as opposed to less than 20 euros from uk is a liitle bit more than 5o%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

60 euros here as opposed to less than 20 euros from uk is a liitle bit more than 5o%

its a 50% mark up on what it costs to purchase from Irish wholesalers not
    uk wholesalers who are serving a much bigger market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

And the State sticks 23% VAT on the aerochamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I was given an aerochamber free by the respiratory nurse at my local hospital. I was attending as a public patient, non-medical card. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

i still think that these should be counted as essential meds and on the listed conditions that are both lifelong and life-threatening at times.therefore the medications should be supplied for the nominal fee.

I see that at least one Irish pharmacy has the aero chamber at a reasonable price. €23.35.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tierneys-Pharmacy/140339142757336?ref=hl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Sorry for dragging up a old thread but had similar experience myself recently

Brought my 2yr old to at out of office doctor at a cost of 60e ( that is fair enough ) He said he had a chest and throat infection so prescribed Antibiotics, steroids and one of this inhaler chambers with an inhaler so off to pharmacy to discover bill came to 86e ( chamber was 56e ) I nearly fell over with the shock.

What makes it worse after a couple of days the young lad was actually getting worse so I brought him to my own doc at a cost of 50e ( fair enough again ) He says that he has croup and did not need antibiotics or inhaler ( he did need the steroids only extra dosage ) I was so angry at other doc,

I think it is disgusting we have to pay, apart from the token monies, for asthma medications. This should be listed alongside other lifelong and possibly life-threatening conditions.
    Obviously, those that are well to do could pay for medications but, the less well off find this a necessary and often crippling expense for their budgets. This is so unfair.
    I wonder if the various monies paid via pensions, childcare, medical card, medications should be charged according to means, I am quite happy to be means tested, and feel that a proportion of monies is a very fair system for these, taxes, road tax, insurances, house tax, bin charges , ALL OF IT.
    We would be less inclined to try and do one puff less here and there to try and save some money on our preventers (steroids) which I hate with a passions - I wish could finish with steroids but every time i do.........

I think it is disgusting we have to pay, apart from the token monies, for asthma medications. This should be listed alongside other lifelong and possibly life-threatening conditions.
    Obviously, those that are well to do could pay for medications but, the less well off find this a necessary and often crippling expense for their budgets. This is so unfair.
    I wonder if the various monies paid via pensions, childcare, medical card, medications should be charged according to means, I am quite happy to be means tested, and feel that a proportion of monies is a very fair system for these, taxes, road tax, insurances, house tax, bin charges , ALL OF IT.
    We would be less inclined to try and do one puff less here and there to try and save some money on our preventers (steroids) which I hate with a passions - I wish could finish with steroids but every time i do.........

Jeez, you like a good moan don't you. Looking back at your other posts all you do is complain! Like the world owes you a favour!
    You have a medical card so its €1.50/inhaler. People who cannot afford it have medical cards, people who can have to pay for it.
    Its a very simple system and given the state of the economy you should be thankful that you get this privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

nino1 wrote: »
    You have a medical card so its €1.50/inhaler. People who cannot afford it have medical cards, people who can have to pay for it.
    Its a very simple system and given the state of the economy you should be thankful that you get this privilege.

If only it could be that simple. I don't have a medical card, but that doesn't mean I can afford everything. Many, many people are just above the threshold for medical cards and yet they are by no mean rich. I have to pay for my kid's asthma medication, medication for myself that cost 72 € a month and each time we visit the GP it's another 55€. I wouldn't scrimp on my kids' health but I couldn't buy my own medication for several weeks. I just had to put up with the pain, seeing it's not life threatening
    Sometimes people have to make choices like paying for the heating or food. Yet when you consider their income, you think how the hell do they not manage? Because they might have mortgages, maybe the washing machine has broken down and needed to be replaced. Maybe one of the kids is in college. May be they need long term medications that cost a lot.

I agree with countrynosebag on the charge for long term medication for life threatening illnesses (not with all the rest, though). It's not a lifestyle choice to have asthma or neuralgia or other conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

the areo chamber is not covered by the medical card actually, the inhalers themselves are but you must pay for the 'spacer' yourself.....hard going to find 50 euro+ as it is never mind if you have a medical card!

so.....has anyone spoken to doctors, pharmacists about this and what sort of reactions and explanations were offered?

• Advertisement

palmcut wrote: »
    I see that at least one Irish pharmacy has the aero chamber at a reasonable price. €23.35.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tierneys-Pharmacy/140339142757336?ref=hl

Not every pharmacy has the same outlandish price for an aero chamber. It pays to shop around.

Advertisement