Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim sets for tri training

Options
  • 14-01-2013 10:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anybody have a link or can they post up their own personal swim sets.

From last year my avg. times in races was 12.30-13.00 minutes (sprint tris) but would like to improve on this.

Ideally it would be great if I could train with a club but work and my location prevent this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

you're welcome to snoop through these ...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQittEs52jrdGxTajJ6ZC0tRHRmMDBSc0pENk1vMFE#gid=0

Additionally, Ive an old spreadsheet that might be of use with swim sets tailored for various paces. PM me an email address and Ill pass it along.
    None of its rocket science, but it might help if you're swimming/training alone.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

200sw,200p,100k
    4x50 des 1-4 on 60
    100sw,200p,300sw,400p
    400sw,300p,200sw,100p
    4x50 fast on 60
    100k,100p,100sw
    (3200)

20x100 alt sw/p on 2
    (2000)

200sw,200p,100k
    4x50 as 25 DR, 25 sw
    (FB,FB,SB,SB)
    4x50 PT
    4x50 on 60 des 1-4
    10x(150 as 50 fast, 100 cruise) + 20sec
    4x50 fast on 60
    4x50 choice easy
    (3000)

300sw,200p,100k
    4x50 as 25 DR,25sw
    (FS,FS,MS,RS)
    4x50 PT
    10x(200 on 4, 100 on 2) alt sw/p
    4x50 fast on 60
    100back
    (4300)

200sw,200p,100k
    10x50p as 25 fist, 25p fast
    5x200 mod hard on 04:00
    4x50 fast on 70
    100k,100p,100sw
    (2500)

sw=swim
    p=pull buoy
    k=kick
    PT=pt paddles
    FB=front balance drill
    SB=side balance drill
    DR=drill
    des= descending (first easy, second slightly faster and so on)
    FS= Front scull
    MS= Mid scull
    RS= Rear scull

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

interested wrote: »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQittEs52jrdGxTajJ6ZC0tRHRmMDBSc0pENk1vMFE#gid=0

Additionally, Ive an old spreadsheet that might be of use with swim sets tailored for various paces. PM me an email address and Ill pass it along.
    None of its rocket science, but it might help if you're swimming/training alone.

Best of luck

Nice thanks for this! Something I can use for my Half IM training.
    One question thou, I have no idea what some of it means! :(
    Is there a legend like tunney's ? Even thou some of tunny's I still don't understand:D For example, Hypoxic or finger tip drill I haven't a clue what these are. All I do is just swim no drills so would love to do and understand these.
    If it's too much trouble don't worry I'll try find out somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

keith123 wrote: »
    Nice thanks for this! Something I can use for my Half IM training.
    One question thou, I have no idea what some of it means! :(
    Is there a legend like tunney's ? Even thou some of tunny's I still don't understand:D For example, Hypoxic or finger tip drill I haven't a clue what these are. All I do is just swim no drills so would love to do and understand these.
    If it's too much trouble don't worry I'll try find out somewhere.

To understand the spreadsheet is to understand the mind of the one they call Interested, and that is a dark and scary place. Run, run away now, while you still can.

:D

Hypoxic is reducing breaths per length, or increasing the strokes between breaths. Fingertip drill, aka ripple, is running your fingers along the top of the water while the arm is out of the water.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I think every coach has different names for drills. Ours calls is something different, couldn't tell you off the top of my head what it is but when he tells me to do it I know what to do. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I used to swim a lot in my younger days, but hadn't swam in bout 15 years prior to a tri last year, did approx 8 x 45min pool sessions before DCT last year and did the swim in 29:30

This summer looks like I'll be limited in my pool time again - in people's opinion, is it better for me to just do 2000m in 42mns each session (as last year), or break it into sets like some of the suggestions above?

I'd love to improve my technique but feel I still need to do the miles.

Any advice/opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I used to swim a lot in my younger days, but hadn't swam in bout 15 years prior to a tri last year, did approx 8 x 45min pool sessions before DCT last year and did the swim in 29:30

This summer looks like I'll be limited in my pool time again - in people's opinion, is it better for me to just do 2000m in 42mns each session (as last year), or break it into sets like some of the suggestions above?

I'd love to improve my technique but feel I still need to do the miles.

Any advice/opinions?

You do not neccesarily need to do miles to improve technique. Establish what your limiters are and do drills to focus on improving in thopse areas. For me its body position/kick so plenty of balance and kick drills.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

You do not neccesarily need to do miles to improve technique. Establish what your limiters are and do drills to focus on improving in thopse areas. For me its body position/kick so plenty of balance and kick drills.

Eventually you need to knock your nuts out though. Knocking your nuts out when your technique is bad is counter productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the chicken or the egg question and for an ex swimmer i would go much more with this
    http://thetriathlonbook.blogspot.ca/2012/01/practice-makes-perfect.html

always a good one to read for food for thought and the guy has a phd in fluid dynamics

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

peter kern wrote: »
    the chicken or the egg question and for an ex swimmer i would go much more with this
    http://thetriathlonbook.blogspot.ca/2012/01/practice-makes-perfect.html

always a good one to read for food for thought and the guy has a phd in fluid dynamics

I lost about 3 hours reading that blog last night - some good food for thought alright.

The elbow position is interesting. As someone who would have had a lot of swimming lessons/coaching in the mid 90's, it's not something I've ever heard of, seems to be a new idea. Can't wait to get to the pool now and give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

interested wrote: »

Best of luck

There's a document to complement this spreadsheet, which no doubt will be very useful to some here. It's by interested, and is called "Simple Swimming for Triathlon". Well worth a read or three.

Link here.

Advertisement