Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money still in my account! [after buying a car]

Options
  • 14-01-2013 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭

Bought a car this day last week. Paid the deposit by cash and the balance using my Visa Debit card from BoI. They said something about amounts over €1500 having to go through clearance so after they made a lenghty phonecall to someone, they said everything was ok and away I drove.

I would have thought the money would be debited straight away but just checked my balance this morning and the money's still there!

Have I got a free car? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No, it just means that the retailer hasn't submitted all their transactions for payment yet. Not uncommon for smaller/low-volume retailers not to do them daily

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ah well, it was a nice thought.:rolleyes:

I would have thought low volume but high value retailers would process them daily.

Thanks anyways.

It's still there two weeks later!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭locustfurnace

It's still there two weeks later!

A few years ago when in the US of A I paid for the hotel ($400+) via visa card and it was just over 2 months later when they finally took it off the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

They're probably waiting until the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Have you checked your available balance?

ted1 wrote: »
    Have you checked your available balance?

Yep. It's included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

If I were you, I'd be on the phone to them, asking them when it's going to be processed.

Even if it was some sort of error, it'll show up in the month-end rec's (on either the seller's side, or on the card processing company's side.) Better to get it out of the way now, than in a few weeks/months time.

I'd also be concerned about where this would leave you if any faults developed with the car? You can hardly go back to the seller, when you haven't even paid for the car yet!

Also, say if you were involved in a crash tomorrow, are you even legally insured? As the car isn't yours, if you haven't paid for it ... would there be an argument for lack of valid legal consideration being exchanged?

You had the cash put aside for this car, if I were you, I'd be asking them to process it asap. It's not like you're losing out in any way, because that was what that money was intended for in the first place, anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd also be concerned about where this would leave you if any faults developed with the car? You can hardly go back to the seller, when you haven't even paid for the car yet!

You can't be serious!
    Also, say if you were involved in a crash tomorrow, are you even legally insured? As the car isn't yours, if you haven't paid for it ... would there be an argument for lack of valid legal consideration being exchanged?

Are you sure you're not just looking for problems where there isn't one?

The fact that the vendor hasn't presented the transaction for payment has no effect whatsoever on the legal status of the OP and the car.

The OP tendered a form of payment which was accepted by the vendor who handed him the keys, the ownership legally transferred there and then, he owns the car.

Advertisement