Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garlic?

Options
  • 14-01-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

anyone come across garlic bulbs for sale? im hoping to pick some up today..not sure if b&q,woodies have stock in this early?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Haven't seen them in stores yet, but you can get them online, here is one option. hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

I planted mine in the Autumn but I was in the Orchard garden centre today, in Celbridge and they have garlic bulbs in stock. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

The DIY stores should have them soon if not already. Try Mr Middleton too if you're in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Once again the months slipped by and I did not get garlic in pre-christmas and hoping to plant in next few days.

For those wondering if its too late to plant - I planted around this time last year and harvested a good crop mid-summer and still eating :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

They were in B&Q today along with seed spuds, onions and a few other things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Having grown it for a good few years now its one of my favourite crops. No diseases, you can sow it as early as you like and takes up hardly any space in the garden. But tbh its just as good to a sow a bulb you get from the greengrocers that you like; than pay 5 euro for a dozen cloves from a seed company.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Heard the Chinese garlic doesn't grow well here. But seen some European garlic in Aldi (or Dunnes) so will try that instead of buying the pricy packets from garden centre. No harm in trying them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just planted a years worth last weekend, looking forward to trying it later on.
    Planted Solent Wight and Provence Wight this time.
    Great to get the first veggies of the year in the ground.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Supercell wrote: »
    Just planted a years worth last weekend, looking forward to trying it later on.
    Planted Solent Wight and Provence Wight this time.
    Great to get the first veggies of the year in the ground.

How did you calculate a years worth?

Happyman42 wrote: »
    How did you calculate a years worth?

Rough guess to be honest, planted about 40'ish cloves, we use around one every 1.5 weeks or so . Nothing very scientific.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

B&Q Airside have loads of garlic bulbs on sale at the moment (just outside the main entrance door)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Granite Head

Looking to plant some garlic cloves this month. Just wondering where stocks seed cloves this early (in Dublin)? I've tried Woodies & Homebase with no joy.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

I picked up some in a local garden centre.

You can use shop bought garlic and sow these too if stuck

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

My first port of call would be Mr Middleton (in Mary Street, IIRC, or online at www.mrmiddleton.ie).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Mine all got rust this year

Mine were a disaster this year, were going great in the spring but the hot dry summer coupled with the hosepipe ban put an end to them.
    This year i'm just sticking some Chinese cloves from Lidl in the ground and hoping for the best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ours were alright. definitely not the best year for them, but the elephant garlic did well. we've a couple of water butts so were able to keep them topped up a little longer than most people would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Stuck Solent Wight into one of the raised beds last Sept. Got a bumper crop in June/July.
    Tried planting some of that crop again in Sept and it looks like bugger all is happening to them now. Haven't sprouted at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Same here but still got a decent crop, albeit small bulbs/cloves (except the Elephant Garlic which seemed fine)

I got mine here http://www.westcorkgarlic.com/buy-garlic.html, Mixed garlic pack means you get a number of varieties

Whats the elephant garlic like to eat?, read that its meant to be eaten as is, not used like regular garlic. Is it more of a garlicky onion taste?, quite interested in giving it a lash.

Got 20 polish elephant corms on ebay for 6 euro delivered. Will take two years but seems far more economical than buying the elephant garlic starting out. Think I'll get the kids involved in it all too, should be an interesting little project.

Thanks for mentioning them ,looks like they are more disease resistant too which is a plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I planted some shop bought garlic in September, they are about 3-4 inches above the ground atm.
    It's my first time planting garlic so we'll see how it turns out next summer!

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I planted some shop bought garlic in September, they are about 3-4 inches above the ground atm.

Do you remember was it Chinese or Spanish garlic (the only two i've seen in the supermarkets )?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ÌIRC, chinese garlic sold as food tends to be soft neck, but the varieties that do well here tend to be hard neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Whats the elephant garlic like to eat?
    Much milder than regular garlic
    looks like they are more disease resistant too which is a plus.

Still got rust but seemed to live with it much better than the other garlic. That said it was my first year growing garlic and we had the snow (apparently garlic loves that though) and the drought (not sure garlic loves that as much)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

Only gardeners could make a six year old thread spring back to life!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Ms2011 wrote: »

Do you remember was it Chinese or Spanish garlic (the only two i've seen in the supermarkets )?
    Not sure to be honest, I bought it in Lidl when they were selling it at 49c.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TheTeainEMT

Planted Tuscany Wight and Solent Wight a few weeks ago from http://www.quickcrop.ie

Planted some ones I got in woodies last feb.... epic fail this summer. Between birds getting at them then the hot summer all I got was a few swollen bulbs but no split cloves

Raised bed temp already at 10° with leaf mulch on top to protect it over winter and keep the worms happy

Advertisement