Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Months: 5K to 10K

Options
  • 14-01-2013 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Decided to start one of these as I noticed even reading them has been great motivation for trying to get fit the last 7 months.

In June i set out on a mission to drop a bit of weight, I went from 18 st 8, and im now sitting at 15 st 9, mainly done through "slow" jogging :) and compound exercises in the gym.

Done 2 5K's so far, the first, back when i was fatter in june in 42 odd minutes :) was embarrassment enough to get my arse in gear, and one in 29.40 in december.

Now ive signed up for a 10K in march, and aiming to just get it done under 60 mins.

so here she goes.....

Sunday 13th Jan:
    5K in 29:30

plan is to be doing 6K at a slower pace by the end of this week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Monday 14th

4K fast pace, not sure of time.

Followed up by 5X5 deadlifts and squats with 70kq on both.

Tuesday was a day off..

Wednesday, played 5 a side. First time in months where i didnt feel like i was going to die for the last 5 years p[laying 5 a side.

Enough exercise for one day. Felt my groin tightening today which i was a bit worried about and then my hamstring. Have to look up some stretches as I havent been doing any at all.

More 5 a side tonight, with the hope that this will actually help in long runs!?!? Will be looking into this later if the 5 a side games help at all for long distance running..

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Tuesday was a day off..

Wednesday, played 5 a side. First time in months where i didnt feel like i was going to die for the last 5 years p[laying 5 a side.

Enough exercise for one day. Felt my groin tightening today which i was a bit worried about and then my hamstring. Have to look up some stretches as I havent been doing any at all.

This is a must....make sure you do plenty of stretching during warm up/down. It'll go so far in helping prevent any injuries

kopfan77 wrote: »
    This is a must....make sure you do plenty of stretching during warm up/down. It'll go so far in helping prevent any injuries

I think i really must start because im starting feel all sorts of strains in either my calf or hamstrings. Ill have a google on some stretches, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

neil_hosey wrote: »
    I think i really must start because im starting feel all sorts of strains in either my calf or hamstrings. Ill have a google on some stretches, thanks!

I play a bit of 5 a side myself, and I find that my muscles are more wrecked after that than after running. So in addition to good stretching before and after runs (and a warm down km), make sure you give yourself a good stretch before and after the football!

Good luck with the log, well done on the weight loss so far! With regard to the running, I'd suggest picking a race distance, and following a training plan for it. All the best. :)

My legs definately feel heavier today after90 mins of 5 a side, alot worse than a 5K jog anyway.

Ill be sure to stretch alot more and do a proper warm up.

I was looking at them running logs, I seen one: Hal Higdons novice 10K program. i think it was an 8 week plan. Is this a recommended one? It looked like alot of work.

Heavy weights session tonight, mainly lower body.

I noticed a few months ago when i was doing a weights program that the squating and deadlifting seriously helped me. So trying to include this more in the next month.

6.5 KM tomorrow after work.

40 min 6km treadmill jog. Weighed in a 15 st 7 tonight which was a welcome suprise.

Followed by a weights session

I seem to find the treadmill runs alot more difficult and dont make the same time i seem to on the road.

4KM in 21 minutes.

Have never really ran that fast over that distance! nearly killed me but guessing it will help when i get up to the 10km mark.

Its funny because ive heard people doing 5K that quick, but its a start!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Good luck Neil and fair play on the weight loss!

Tuesday 29th:

7km run! woohooo! didnt time it as i didnt want to see the distance on mapmyrun when i was running but it was around the 45 min mark, maybe a bit over.

Wednesday 30th:

5 a side tonight, followed by 5 a side tomorrow again..

first session of indoor soccer with the new work crowd last night.. jaysus i was bad :) and out of breath. Certainly faster and more difficult than astro 5 a side.

Thankfully astro tonight, and 7.5KM just friday evening!

The stretching has started to sort out my hamstrings thankfully, nearly better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Im training for a 10k myself.n march.Ran a 5k race last week in 26.50. one piece of advice i will give u is make sure u warm up properly and do ur stretches. I didnt stretch properly last week and havent been able to train since cos of a muscle strain.

Hi John, Ive taken some advice from earlier in the thread and started stretching. It has definately helped, though i still feel a strain on my hamstring and groin. Maybe yoga? :)

got an offer for another 5 a side tonight.. hard to know whether to do this for the last 6 weeks running up to the race or keep jogging :)

Out for a 5km last night. finding it hard to push too hard in this weather..

7.5Km tonight..

after 8 days of being sick i finally got out last night..

Felt very good for some reason, done 8KM in 48 or so minutes, nothing spectacular but its good to know if i run slow I'm completing the run either way, maybe a bit under 8k but it definately puts the mind at ease for the 10KM in 3 weeks!

5KM recovery (slow:)) last night along Dun Laoghaire pier. Absolutely freezing!!

an hour and a half of astro tonight was like a walk in the park after 8k.. far cry from 1 year ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement