Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Q: Travelling alone with son, surname not mine...

Options
  • 14-01-2013 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.

I have a travel-related question. I'm traveling to Ireland from France with my 10 month old next month. His dad isn't coming because he has work. Now, my son has his dad's surname, not mine.

So I'm wondering do I need a letter of permission from his dad to say I'm allowed to travel abroad with our child?

I've been trying to contact Air France but no luck so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if its your son then wouldnt the birth cert with your name on it prove that much better than a letter from the dad.
    A birth cert is also often multilingual including french so a better option for going to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

you don't need a letter from the father, however you do need some documentation that shows he's your son. In France they have the "livret de famille" which details all family members and relationships. Do you have one of those? if not, bring the birth certificate, but probably best to double check with the airline/airport beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

you don't need a letter from the father, however you do need some documentation that shows he's your son. In France they have the "livret de famille" which details all family members and relationships. Do you have one of those? if not, bring the birth certificate, but probably best to double check with the airline/airport beforehand.
    Thanks! Yes, I have the Livret, and a birth cert. I've been trying to contact the airline, but I will try to contact the airport just to confirm!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have travelled with mine from France no issue , i do always bring the birth cert just incase though never been asked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

The livret and birth cert along with his passport will be fine. A friend of mine had the same situation last year and that's all she needed. I think the birth cert wasn't even looked at, but better to have it in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

I travelled to Paris with Ryan Air. I had 2 of my daughters with me and, like you, they have their father's surname. I brought copies of their birth certs and also a signed letter from him to saying they were travelling with his permission. Our passports were checked multiple times on the way out and back but there was no comment on the difference in the surnames. Better have the extra paperwork just in case but hopefully you'll have no hassle and have a lovely trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

I have traveled with my nephew, and also with my cousins son, all different surnames and was never asked any questions, always went prepared with documentation, letters of permission, etc, but never got asked for anything.
    Initially thought it was very strange and didn't make security process very safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Thanks for all your advice!

I got through to Air France finally. They said that up to January 1st this year, you did need some sort of letter to leave france with a child with a different surname, but that rule exists no longer, once the child has his own identity card. I will, however, also bring his birth cert and livret de familly "just in case", they are not very big and better to be prepared for the official that's having a bad day!

I will let ye know how I got on!

Advertisement