Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting take on filtering!

• 14-01-2013 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Thought this was an interesting take on it! I don’t thin car drivers over here are as tolerant and accommodating as they are in California though
    !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

wider lanes too by the looks of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Thought this was an interesting take on it! I don’t thin car drivers over here are as tolerant and accommodating as they are in California though!

Certainly not, most drivers here think it's perfectly acceptable behaviour to move out in the line of traffic purely to block you off, not taking into consideration that if they were to tip off you, even slightly, they could knock you off the bike and into/under other traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Certainly not, most drivers here think it's perfectly acceptable behaviour to move out in the line of traffic purely to block you off, not taking into consideration that if they were to tip off you, even slightly, they could knock you off the bike and into/under other traffic.

Most drivers here don't give a sh!te about bikes. They don't care if they hit you. Jesus don't get me started! LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

the blocking a gap and looking directly ahead. cos couldnt possibly have seen you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Best one I had was the old cow that stuck her hand out hanging out of the car trying to stop me from filtering in Kilkenny :eek:, too bad for her there was a Garda bike behind me following, she got a right bollocking! and had to wait a second time for the lights to change :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Really nice programme. Filmed so well as well.

Im new enough to bikes and have only really started skimming along the outside/inside of traffic. Wasnt really sure if it was frowned upon by the guards over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Did not know it was illegal over in the US to filter....that is just plain crazy. If it was illegal over here I dont think I could ride a bike TBH....coz there is no way on earth I would sit behind traffic. Sure heading up to the north on saturday if we did not filter we would still not be there!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Most drivers here don't give a sh!te about bikes. They don't care if they hit you. Jesus don't get me started! LOL
    Perhaps they know your username and take it literally LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

they do have wider lanes, but they also have bigger trucks and bigger cars, they make some very valid points which are taken from european countries, but to be honest i would not take riding tips from americans simply as they ride in a completely different way than what we do...reason is below i know it does not count for every biker but for me to see this carry on its hard to not paint every rider with the same brush as the amount of people doing this crap was crazy...

Last summer i was in california and was passed on the freeway while i was doing 80mph by a biker lane splitting doing well in excess of my speed, seconds later his buddy passed between my car and the one maybe 5 feet away, doing a wheelie while doing similar speed to the guy before....

the interesting thing was both were in shorts and tshirts....and the guy on the back wheel was wearing flip-flops....
    i would much rather stick to the european style of driving where we seem to be much more aware of becoming a statistic is a possibility everytime you put the key in the bike...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Really nice programme. Filmed so well as well.

Im new enough to bikes and have only really started skimming along the outside/inside of traffic. Wasnt really sure if it was frowned upon by the guards over here.

inside of the lane (ie. cycle lane, or near path) is a no no, outside of lane (where white line is not solid) is all good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

USA laws on filtering is done state by state. Some allow it but most don't.

I also don't think I could be a 365 day a year rider if we couldn't split lanes.
    About 1 day out of 5 the dual carriage way I go to work on is at a standstill. I wouldn't be able to just sit there in traffic.

USA laws on filtering is done state by state. Some allow it but most don't.

I also don't think I could be a 365 day a year rider if we couldn't split lanes.
    About 1 day out of 5 the dual carriage way I go to work on is at a standstill. I wouldn't be able to just sit there in traffic.

Same as. Dual carriageway in Ferrybank is at a standstill from about 8:20 until 9 (or thereabouts) every morning. Sure you'd get nowhere.

Have filtered by cop cars, marked and unmarked, and have never been pulled for it so will continue to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Same as. Dual carriageway in Ferrybank is at a standstill from about 8:20 until 9 (or thereabouts) every morning. Sure you'd get nowhere.

Have filtered by cop cars, marked and unmarked, and have never been pulled for it so will continue to do so.

It's not legal or illegal. There is just no law regarding it so if you do it safely then you will be fine but if you filter too fast or dangerously you will be done for dangerous driving.

It's not legal or illegal. There is just no law regarding it so if you do it safely then you will be fine but if you filter too fast or dangerously you will be done for dangerous driving.

Ah yeah I know that, was just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...that's good: interesting about the electric bike too: I was wondering wth it was for ages. Me, like :)

Anyhoo, one teeny-weeny mistake in it though: filtering is not legal everywhere in Europe. Especially that huge big bit in the middle: Germany. If you do it, better be carrying the €€'s though, you're going to need it. Polizei take a v. dim view of filtering over there.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...that's good: interesting about the electric bike too: I was wondering wth it was for ages. Me, like :)

LOL I was wondering the same thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    LOL I was wondering the same thing!

Yeah, the way he was sitting on it I was like WTF. It is so arkward looking....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yeah, the way he was sitting on it I was like WTF. It is so arkward looking....

I thought it was a KTM690 or summat.
    Ya sit weirdly on them things too.

Advertisement