Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my baby wont settle in his own room

Options
  • 14-01-2013 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi im wondering if any of you mums can help me out, we moved our son into his own room 2 weeks ago, the first night was an absolute nitemare he seemed to just hate it even if we turned the lights on, he is 10 and a half month old (i know its late) but he is our first child and we didnt know any different, every night now we put him to sleep and then move him to his room but he seems to wake up almost every night and he wont settle again so we end up taking him into our bed, its hard to as we both work, before we moved him he rarely woke up at all in the night & he mostly put himself to sleep, i have put extra soothers in his cot thinking this might help, i know i am giving him bad habits taking him to our bed but i dont know what else to do at 3am in the morning, he is teething a lot but i still cant use that as an excuse as i know we are all creatures of habit, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

He goes to sleep one place and wakes up somewhere else, that would freak me out. :)

There are a couple of things to try. Let him play in his room during the day. Not for naps or anything, but when he is an a good mood, with toys, in the cot. Happy times = that room.

Also, put a comfy chair for you in the room and do his bedtime routine in there, not in your own room.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

I'm not a mum, but the other sort. Go easy on yourself. I wouldn't consider 10.5 months 'late'. It's perfectly normal for an infant to want to sleep with their parents, particularly their mother. The 'bad habits' thing is rubbish too. What is 'bad' about it?

My advice, keep doing what you have being doing, unless you've got some really compelling reason for moving him to another room. It is mental to be stressing all of you out at night considering it seems to be working perfectly now. You'll know when he's ready to move. I'd bet you'll do this with any subsequent children. Everyone thinks there is 'a way to do it' with the first, when in reality it is just a case of doing what works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

We had that problem on our first. All mine were 1 when they were put into their own/shared room. But my daughter was the only one that acted up.

As a previous poster has said let your child play in the room for a while so it's not just a place for sleeping. When it was bed time we would have a little play and stories first. Time for sleep was a bit.of a nightmare though. For the first week i sat on the floor in the bedroom, soothing her. Then i moved to the hall for a few days, still able to shout in as reassurance if she started fretting. It took about 3 weeks but eventually she started going to bed and staying without anyone. It took a lot of tears on both parts.

It is hard but stick with it. Best of luck

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mine were 12 months when I moved them before that they slept in their cots in my room.
    I would give him a blanket that smells like mammy,put a mobile that has toys and plays music up and maybe read him a story at bed time.
    I think because we just moved the cot so they were sleeping in the same bed but different room it made it easier for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

My son is 16 months and still in our room. I plan on buying a bed for his room within the next few months and starting the transition then. It'll be easier to cuddle him to sleep in his own bed and not have to move him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Does he sleep in a cot in your room ok? Maybe he's just not ready for his own room. We moved house when my boy was 10 months and my dp set te cot up in a different room he settled really well on there. He had slept in bed with us most if the time before this or else on cot beside our bed. I think the bad habits, spoiling is rubbish so don't be worrying yourself with things like that maybe move him back to your room and try again in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 happymumzy

Hi all thanks for your tips, hobbitfeet he is in a cot but in his own room, we just found the last 2 nights that he has actually drank a bottle when he woke up so maybe its hunger that is making him wake, we do feed him enough during the day but he has gone off his afternoon bottle (still has morning and bedtime bottle) so im wondering because he doesnt ahve that during the day is this making him hungry at night therefor waking him up, so maybe the problem is not all about the room, last night he woke at 3am but wasnt crying just stiring a lot so i went into him and rubbed his back but this went on until 5am when my husband finally took him into our bed again and he drank a full bottle and went back to sleep til 8.30, i just feel its not going to stop as its happening every night, then people say dont feed him in the night cos he will just get into the habit, but if he is hungry then i dont have a choice :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Might be a growth spurt, sometimes they get hungry in the night for a week or so, and then go off it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

My third is 19 months old and in our room - we wont be moving him till hes aware of whats going on - maybe at 2 and half. Why rock the boat and move him if he was sleeping well before you moved him? There is no "set age" that a baby goes into their own room. And they are only babies for a little while. Dont worry about him sleeping in your room - by the time hes 13 he'll go nowhere near it!

Advertisement