Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad Mini - 'Downgrade' from an iPad?

• 14-01-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Had an iPad 2 up until this summer when unfortunately it was stolen in the States. Never got around to replacing it owing to the quick refresh between iPad 3 and iPad Retina. Really mainly used the iPad for email and web browsing. In addition to development.

Just wondering has anyone used an full sized iPad and got a Mini instead? Or vice-versa? Any reason for not buying one over the other? Retina and Mini are fairly on-par spec wise for what I need. I don't really buy overly into screen resolution or processor speed. I'm sort of looking for someone who may have used both and could say 'Lived with it and this or that annoyed me about it etc'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭OU812

Can't offer advice, but I'm in the same boat so am interested in other's views

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭gorevs

have used the two of them. if ability to put in a coat pocket and weight are serious issues, the mini may be a better choice. i have found the mini a little bit more "natural" size wise when reading books as opposed to regular size- prob because it that bit lighter and can be used more easily with one hand. however for most other usage i would go with the regular size and overall it would be my preferred one for usage. the 16gig last gen wireless appears on refurb section on apple site regular enough for 389 euros vs new model version price of 509 euros. think thats a great deal and have recommended it to a few friends who have bought them. main differences between the two are the lighting connector and improved graphics chip on the new 509 one. no sign of any minis on the refurb section yet but am sure they will appear in a few months

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If you're switching from a Retina display to a mini you'll definitely notice the difference in screen quality initially, but after a short while that difference doesn't register as much.

I have the iPad (3rd Gen, retina) and the iPad mini. I find more often than not it's the mini I reach for (even when I'm at home). If you're looking for a device to use out and about, I'd definitely recommend the mini. Even if it's just for home use I wouldn't rule the mini out.

If you want the larger screen, higher resolution and don't mind the extra size/weight go for the full-fat iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thank you for all the input folks. I got 'hands on' with the Mini today and the weight difference is colossal. I wasn't expecting such a difference. Keyboard size is about the same on both and the Mini felt more natural in the hand. Only real difference is screen real estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I went from a iPad 2 to a iPad mini very recently.

I have never owned a iPad 3/4, so the lack of a retina display on the iPad mini is not very noticeable to me.
    I also find the iPad mini much nicer to hold and its much easier to when out and about.

I think if Apple would make a iPad mini with a retina display, it would be the perfect product.

• Advertisement

I think if Apple would make a iPad mini with a retina display, it would be the perfect product.

Absolutely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

When the ipads are next refreshed that will happen.

Will the ipads still be refreshed in March? Trying to sell my iPad 1 to replace it with the mini but would hold off the purchase until then.

There's a good chance the next refresh of the mini will include a Retina display but there's no guarantee.

The iPad mini was only released in October but the rumours have already started about a March refresh. Please note the word rumours, there's no guarantee that the mini will be refreshed so soon after being launched.

I don't think the Retina display is a huge draw. I have a retina MacBook, surfing and text is great. But movies and pictures all depend on the original quality. It is superb when you get high quality originals but everything else actually looks worse if you use low quality.

Having seen the Mini today, and comparing to the iPhone 4 and MacBook Retina, its not exactly a bad screen. In fact I'd put it smack between the MacBook and iPhone 4 in terms of quality. Half the retina hype in my eyes is people wanting the bragging power of a screen rather than the actual performance.

Took the plunge & bought a mini yesterday.

It's a fantastic piece of kit. I'd go so far as to say the full size iPad is too big.

This is perfect for me, mostly used for watching TV & reading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Thinking about making this move also but waiting for March to see if rumours of ipad 5 and ipadmini2 pan out

Thinking about making this move also but waiting for March to see if rumours of ipad 5 and ipadmini2 pan out

I can't see a refresh that quick seeing as they can barely keep supply of the Mini at present. Also indications that the number of iPhone 5 screens on order has been decreased as demand was lower that expected.

Saying that though, it might be worth holding off. The only improvement would be the screen and perhaps the processor, neither are deal breakers for me.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I can't see a refresh that quick seeing as they can barely keep supply of the Mini at present. Also indications that the number of iPhone 5 screens on order has been decreased as demand was lower that expected.

Saying that though, it might be worth holding off. The only improvement would be the screen and perhaps the processor, neither are deal breakers for me.

ipad3 got updated very quick.
    Anyhow yeah i can wait and see what happens in a month or 2 or 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I can only see a retina & possibly updated processor as changes. Doesn't make any difference to me & I'm now not interested in the larger screensize (have an air book).

It's a seriously sweet piece of kit, feels just the right size & weight.

I'm waiting on a case to arrive before I bring it out, but I can see myself bringing this everywhere.

OU812 wrote: »
    I can only see a retina & possibly updated processor as changes. Doesn't make any difference to me & I'm now not interested in the larger screensize (have an air book).

It's a seriously sweet piece of kit, feels just the right size & weight.

I'm waiting on a case to arrive before I bring it out, but I can see myself bringing this everywhere.

Both retina and faster processor are important to me to be honest so another reason to wait :)

Both retina and faster processor are important to me to be honest so another reason to wait :)

Can I ask why? Comparing an iPad 1 to an iPad 3, yes there is a significant difference in screen resolution and raw power (Neither being exactly 'slow') But between an iPad Mini V1 and a V2? Its going to be negligible. At most a 10% improvement.

I remember first holding an iPhone 4S and comparing to my iPhone 4. I really could not see why people were rushing to bin their 4 for a 4S. Boggles the mind. Anything Apple your far better off waiting for two step leap frogs e.g. iPad 1 to iPad 3, iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S. Apple I feel are starting a culture of minor improvements meant to sound amazing to the lay person who are easily parted with cash, not implying that applies to anyone here. Just a view point.

Retina for obvious reasons.

Faster processor because I use Goodreader with multiple pdf's open at once. On my current ipad3 that slows it down. I want faster. So waiting to see what they offer up for next gen's of each as I feel ipad 3/4 is a tad too big and the smaller form factor of the mini appeals

Ok, couple of days using it. It's barely been out of my hands.

I'm partially using it for work which gives me an excuse to have it there but have it loaded with books & videos & a little music also.

The small things that bug me are google maps not available for it (app store version is very pixilated). No apple weather app (I don't understand why not). Other than that I've nothing bad to say about it.

It's a fantastic device, perfect size. Much faster than my iPad 1.

Camera is great & even low light photos are satisfactory (no on board flash). iPhoto for iOS is very functional on this.

I also use the mac productivity suite & they all work fantastic on this.

Wait if you want for the no doubt upgraded model. I'll probably upgrade on the next +1 version. For now, this is my perfect device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

I have a mini the last week, and i love it! Ive never being of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

Was looking at upgrading from laptop. Looked at all the options and as a cost excercise the mini was more practical and ergonomic than the full sized iPad.
    Battery life is v good compared to previous iPhones I had and the speed is quite impressive in the OS

Advertisement