Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lucan Newsletter

Options
  • 14-01-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone here read this? The Lucan Newsletter has been a mandatory publication in my house since the mid-1970s when my parents first moved to Lucan.

Even today when I return home to Lucan I can usually find the most recent copy on the coffee table and it's something I look forward to reading. I do read it online but there's nothing like the feel of it in your hands imo :) Yes, it's heavily centered around the local Church but the 'Birdie' column is always interesting as are the updates from certain clubs around Lucan. I also like the local History pieces too.

Anyone else read the Newsletter on a regular basis or am I just getting way too old too soon? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

On the whole I love the newsletter. :)

I really enjoy the local history parts and I love spotting my relatives in the old photos. It's great when you see announcements or news about people you have lost touch with from years ago.

I have a bit of a love-hate relationships with other parts though - especially the "Birdie" column. It's so stereotypically parochial it really belongs in the 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I have a bit of a love-hate relationships with other parts though - especially the "Birdie" column. It's so stereotypically parochial it really belongs in the 50s.

I know what you mean, when I lived in Lucan/Ireland, I couldn't stand a lot of the stuff in the column but now when I read it I get a feeling of nostalgia. It is very reminiscent of a 'simpler' life...or a curtain twitcher/town busybody :pac:

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I know what you mean, when I lived in Lucan/Ireland, I couldn't stand a lot of the stuff in the column but now when I read it I get a feeling of nostalgia. It is very reminiscent of a 'simpler' life...or a curtain twitcher/town busybody :pac:

I know what you mean. I get a good laugh from it and in some ways it's so bad it's funny. The passive agressive comments like "wouldn't it be lovely if all the residents of Esker Lawns could cut their grass verges now summer is upon us", or whatever are like something out of Father Ted rather than a village (?!) of 50,000 inhabitants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

The Lucan Newsletter is produced by the Catholic church in St Marys so will always represent that angle. It reminds me of publications like Irelands Own.

That said its a lot better than some of the garbage ad-ridden local rags such as Lucan Gazette etc. It contains a lot of useful local useful info in a concise format and for 50 cents or whatever it is u can't go wrong.
    The front page editorial is a bit father ted- esque but I like it and hope it hangs in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Where still sells it? Or do you have to go to mass to get a copy...?

• Advertisement

Most newsagents sell it as far as I know. Carey's in the village and Hillcrest News in the Tesco shopping centre sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Texaco beside the Foxhunter usually have it,as do the newsagents beside Superquinn and Tesco. Pretty sure i've seen it in Eurospar beside the Penny Hill too.

I think it usually goes on sale on Friday in newsagents so if you wait until Sunday, then it could be sold out in some cases. I remember years ago there used to be a guy outside Esker church, selling the Sunday papers from the back of his Hiace and he sold the newsletter too :)

I've gotten it in Spar Finnstown and Lynch's in the village too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Centra in the village also still sells the Newsletter.

Prodest moments of my childhood would be my name appearing in the back of the Newsletter after scoring for Hillcrest in the football the weekend before :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement