Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a rope puller

• 14-01-2013 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭

Some of my trees are a little close to the road and I am not quite sure which way they will fall if I fell them.
    So I want to tension them to be sure that they will fall inwards.

I have seen a tool used for this purpose.It was basically a length of rope one end of which you attach to the tree in question whilst the other end is attached to a strong anchor such as a nearby and sturdy trunk.

There is also a gear mechanism which allows you to manually apply tension to the rope ,causing the tree (to be felled) to incline in the desired direction.

Does anyone know where are these are available to purchase?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭amandstu

thanks
    That seems a lot of money though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

full range here:

http://www.honeybros.co.uk/

a rope will have some strech in it so be very careful.

A cheaper version I've seen used is attach rope to tree top, attach other end rope to tractor, pull taught, gob cut, pull tighter, back cut in while pulling. (bit of cordination and skill required).

Although nothing would beat getting a professional arborist in to dismantle the trees for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭amandstu

thanks.Yes I'll be careful.I will leave them standing rather than take any risk.

Actually I might be better off hiring this piece of equipment if that is possible -or getting a lend it from someone in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

amandstu wrote: »
    thanks.Yes I'll be careful.I will leave them standing rather than take any risk.

Actually I might be better off hiring this piece of equipment if that is possible -or getting a lend it from someone in the area.
    Maybe price a tree surgeon? My local guy does it for 100 per tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭manjou

I got some knocked before christmas.It was done with a tractor and winch.The trees were sawed and a hinge was left and then the tractor pulled them over all fell where they were supposed to and they were pretty close to buildings.Get someone in who knows what they are at and are insured properly because one mistake cutting dodgy trees will cost you alot more than they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Op what you described is a turfer.very expensive.best bet is a good length of chain and a tractor at a safe distance.cut 3/4 way and then pull a safe direction

Advertisement