Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grinder or Burr

• 14-01-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

I know the advantages a burr has over a grinder.

But..... for someone that will only drink coffee at the weekend, and the odd morning, is it worth to pay the extra for the burr all things considered as there is a big difference in price between them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

You can get a very acceptable burr grinder for about 40 quid. The really good ones are considerably more. It does make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Diziet wrote: »
    You can get a very acceptable burr grinder for about 40 quid. The really good ones are considerably more. It does make a difference.

Can you tell me where ?

This topic has been covered ad nauseum here.

If you are on a tight budget buy a hand grinder (Hario, Porlex), else save up and buy a Baraza/Mahlkonig.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Try coffeeangel.com

• Advertisement

llatsni wrote: »
    This topic has been covered ad nauseum here.

If you are on a tight budget buy a hand grinder (Hario, Porlex), else save up and buy a Baraza/Mahlkonig.

Its not that im on a tight budget as such.
    I can get a grinder for 40e, but the cheapest burr i can see was 85e on that was second hand.

my piint is, for the 5/6 coffee's a week i'll be having, does it make that much of a difference, or will your average joe grinder be fine for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Depends on whether you want 5/6 inferior coffees a week.

Yes, it makes a huge quantifiable difference, but only *you* can decide how much you care!

Yes, it makes a huge quantifiable difference, but only *you* can decide how much you care!

Well if it makes that much of a difference, where can i get a reasonably opriced one? Arnotts/Clery's et all have none.

Will check ebay.

Drop into Coffee Angel on South Anne Street if you're in Dublin. Karl has an excellent selection of coffee paraphernalia.

Else buy online.

You need to be considering spending a 150-200 or more.

• Advertisement

Drop into Coffee Angel on South Anne Street if you're in Dublin. Karl has an excellent selection of coffee paraphernalia.

Else buy online.

You need to be considering spending a 150-200 or more.

I can do South Anne Street alright, will have a peep.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Slattsy wrote: »
    Can you tell me where ?

There is another thread with the same info, but this is what I have and I am very happy with it. It was £38 when I bought it though, now 52.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Krups-Expert-GVX231-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0002H2IOM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358258346&sr=8-2

Picked up a 2nd hand Dualit burr grinder today :D

You will get an uneven grind (some desired coarseness, some fine powder) with a Dualit, Krups or similar... but it should still be a step up from a blade. Do report back.

Well considering i was nearly paying 40e or 50e for a grinder, im happy i got this for 60e. As you said, it'll be a step up.
    Its in great condition too.

My beans are ordered and im expecting them on Monday or Tuesday.
    So i will report back on how it turns out for me.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Is it one of these?

3149YFPTY2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is what I use for filter, its great, its a rebranded Solis 166.
    Completely useless for espresso, but it beats the pants off my Vario for filter and *press.

Ok.
    Got my coffee beans delivered today. From coffee mojo who I thoroughly recommend but that's another story.

The burr grinder worked superb for the coarse grind for the french press and had a splendid cup of coffee after dinner.
    What a difference freshly ground coffee makes.

Thanks for coming back to us. It *is* amazing how good, good coffee is. I was forced to use some tesco's finest this morning and I wish I hadn't, even the stale beans yesterday from Backporch were significantly better.

Advertisement