Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road To Cannes [Possibly 9th of February]

Options
  • 14-01-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

This is just a general interest check thread for now, I'll do a full one with all the normal details later if it is to go ahead.

So.
    Cannes is coming up, and I don't know about you guys, but I would like a little tournament practice before it rolls around. To that end, I'm planning on running a tournament with only 2 or 3 of the Cannes games hosted (preliminarily. If the MK crowd don't think that another tournament only a month after the last DoC would be putting them out of pocket, I have no qualms running an MK 2/3 (3/5 Grand Finals) tournament). Essentially, I'm cherry picking the World Team Cup games we could compete in, namely; SSF4, UMvC3 and KoF 13.
    These tournaments would be used to determine the seeding of people within the WTC, and also who would be considered the "Captain" of the team, though they would then be able to fob off the responsibility if they don't want it. While the prize will mainly be related to Cannes (seeding points :D), there will still be a cash prize on offer (based on the number of people for each tournament as usual), so I would encourage everyone to show up on the day. Cost of entry is still up in my mind, I was thinking flat rate per tournament entered, rather than a DoC model. This isn't like DoC, wherein the idea is to get people to play as much as they would like, but rather a focused experience on what they would like to work on.
    Now, nothing is finalized at all, it's all in my head. Since I honestly don't know how our KoF scene is (I assume it's just resting, and everyone has some secret tech they've been sitting on :p), I am willing to drop KoF in favor of either a team SF or team MvC tournament. The team tournament would be Winner Stays On style, regardless of game.
    Also, venue. While I would like to do the tournament in the Exchange (familiarity), I would not be averse to the Clarence, if we could book it/they wouldn't mind us coming back, simply due to the nicer area, and the fact that we get the room for the day, with almost no limit. I'll leave this point up for discussion amongst those with strong opinions.

So.
    Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Would love to come on down and play some competitive KOF again, but I'm busy that weekend. Hope this goes well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm just gonna focus on SF4 this year so if there's KoF on the day I will gladly play it, but I have no "need" for it to be there. I've never gone beyond the level I was prepared for at Cannes last year so if anyone is still playing it they'll body me free, let alone the French.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I'd attend.

AE/UMvC3/MK seems like a fine line up.

KOF seems unnecessary for your intended purpose, (i.e. The three best KOF players will be whatever three people still play that game, if there are even three)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Im Captain of team Ireland marvel :p

This sounds great. I'l defo be there for AE and marvel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Leave KoF out. Only about three people play it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

SFxT (2013 patch will be out by then) or TTT2 would be a better choice over KoF imo and takes less time to run.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

To my knowledge no TTT players are going, SFxT might be a better idea, especially seeing as the patch will be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Doyler01 wrote: »
    Im Captain of team Ireland marvel :p

It's clearly Lee :pac:

I think Marvel teams would be a sick idea, if there ia time ofc

More marvel is always best. can see how teams work out too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Is there a Kombat team planning on hitting this? If so, can we spell "captain" with a K?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MelficeVKM

Would love to play kof at this but no-one really plays it it seems, I'd say do a different game. +1 to SFXT

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

As far as I know no TTT2 players are going to Cannes so you could say that it shouldn't be run however we are really trying to grow the Tekken scene at the moment and more tournaments can only help. Other than a few minor bumps TTT2 went down well at DoC, we had a good turnout even though not all of the regular players managed to show up.

If we get the Clarence then time shouldn't be that much of an issue. So I propose AE/UMvC3/MK9/TTT2.
    We want to get to a point where Tekken is a regular at tournaments and I don't want to have to be the when's Tekken guy. I am going to try my best to attend this whether TTT2 is on or not but it will just be a bit of a disappointment if my favourite game and frankly the only one I am anyway good at isn't there.

At the end of the day it is your tournament so you can run it however you please but I am going to ask nicely to give us a chance.
    Please don't make me beg. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

No point running KoF. No one has been playing it so it'll just take forever as everyone who enters will be out of practice.

AE, UMvC3, MK and TTT2 makes the most sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

Voa wrote: »

(preliminarily. If the MK crowd don't think that another tournament only a month after the last DoC would be putting them out of pocket, I have no qualms running an MK 2/3 (3/5 Grand Finals) tournament).

ill send a few messages round to the people not on boards but i dont see why it couldnt be done,personally im more than up for it.
    razer,dr and slick prob in the worst positions travel wise.

a few lads missed the last one and if the 3 new members of the mk kommunity sean,jason and wilson who attented the last event come along (which i hope they do :D) then we should well have enough to fill a bracket.

hopefully 2 dublin players which ive been wrecking there heads for months to come out will finally do it this time also lol,at least one bothering to come to casuals now.
    "should" have a new player coming up from wexford aswell, the last front page TYM thing on our last event let him know there was irish tournies happening so he seems very interested in traveling down

a few lads missed the last one and if the 3 new members of the mk kommunity sean,jason and wilson who attented the last event come along (which i hope they do :D) then we should well have enough to fill a bracket.

As I said to you the other day in casuals I should be able to get Wilson and another bloke down for MK. So there is two more for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

As I said to you the other day in casuals I should be able to get Wilson and another bloke down for MK. So there is two more for you. :)

lol yea i was trying to remember what your boards name was.
    yea thats awesome man! the more the better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

put sfxt instead of kof plsthanksluvyoubye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

So...how many people are actually playing SFxT in Cannes?

So...how many people are actually playing SFxT in Cannes?

Whats SFXT

Oops double post.

• Advertisement

Quick update for those interested. Currently looking like the following:
    The tournaments will be SF, MvC, MK and MvC teams (2v2, no same duplicate across teams).
    If we run this in the Clarence, we paid 150 out of the prize pot to get the room, BUT we get it for a lot longer. Which means if people want to do sandwich/money matches, yay. Exchange is still a possibility, and that would only be 50 quid of the pot, but we'd have a lot less time.
    Price up front will be a fiver per tourney, flat. Discounts will still be available; each console or monitor you bring gets you 1 free entry to 1 tournament.
    The prizes are will probably be the following; First and Second place pay offs, with seeding points to the top 5 who are going to Cannes from each tournament. I'm told the seeding points should help divvy people up in pools once we get to Cannes, but I'll need to contact Tengu over this.

If there are any major objections or points to pull on this, speak your piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I'd be happier to sacrifice the pot to get more time.

I vote the Clarence.

If there are any major objections or points to pull on this, speak your piece.

When Marvel?

The Clarence would probably be the best choice of venue it was good at the most recent DoC because of there being no time constraints.

I am going to say this again and as many times as I feel necessary. Please run Tekken. We have quite a good number of players now our scene is getting bigger. Give us a chance to have our game at the tournament. :) Please and thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Not every tourney needs every game

If its about cannes focus on that and help our best players level up their game before their biggest tourney of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

I am going to say this again and as many times as I feel necessary. Please run Tekken. We have quite a good number of players now our scene is getting bigger. Give us a chance to have our game at the tournament. :) Please and thank you.

Are tekken lads going to Cannes?
    He's running this tournament / day of casuals to help prepare those of us going. Great idea IMO. So it shouldn't just be another doc.. Emphasis should not be on trying to get thru tournament after tournament but rather a chance for casuals and long sets to improve your game with people you don't regularly get to play.
    Adding more games just takes away from the point of this event.

Also, is this tournament to be recorded by doom? I was gonna suggest that he could take this one off so he could actually get some games in with everyone. I don't think too many of us would mind.
    Just a suggestion! Dooms call obviously!!

Not every tourney needs every game

If its about cannes focus on that and help our best players level up their game before their biggest tourney of the year.

I understand that I just don't want Tekken to die and tourneys are the best way to keep it alive and active. The more TTT2 the better. :)
    Doyler01 wrote: »
    Are tekken lads going to Cannes?
    He's running this tournament / day of casuals to help prepare those of us going. Great idea IMO. So it shouldn't just be another doc.. Emphasis should not be on trying to get thru tournament after tournament but rather a chance for casuals and long sets to improve your game with people you don't regularly get to play.
    Adding more games just takes away from the point of this event.

Fergus might be going. Granted this is a warm up for Cannes tournament but a missed tournament for a game is a missed opportunity for us to learn more about the game and about what we can do to improve our scene.

I know it is very annoying with me constantly pestering you guys about having my game on but if I don't the game could just get continually looked over and that eventually leads to a games death tournament wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

I'm actually going to go ahead and say it, Tekken will be unnecessary at this tournament for reasons already stated. Nobody who plays Tekken going to Cannes etc. Besides that, if we set up Ranbats then there'll be too much Tekken tbh, which is another reason I put forward the idea since I foresaw Tekken not being played in a tourney environment for at least 2 months or so.
    Just putting in my two cents. I'll be in for MK if it's played anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I'd like TTT2 to be at this but I can totally understand the current lineup for helping the Cannes players to level up.

• Advertisement

More Marvel the better

signed, Everyone
    iyamSvJsJr8Cf.gif

Advertisement