Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road To Cannes [Possibly 9th of February]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

I've recently changed my button config so that I can deal with throws better. So I've no excuse not to attend this. Need to make sure I don't accidentally pop x-factor out of instinct while under pressure.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Doyler01 wrote: »
    Also, is this tournament to be recorded by doom? I was gonna suggest that he could take this one off so he could actually get some games in with everyone. I don't think too many of us would mind.
    Just a suggestion! Dooms call obviously!!

Maybe we could get the best of both worlds and I could set up the stuff and someone not playing tournaments in Cannes could handle the recording- Aileen or Sinead could, or whoever. Once it's up and running, it's not too hard to keep going.

I'd really enjoy a tournament where I'm not stuck behind a desk though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Maybe we could get the best of both worlds and I could set up the stuff and someone not playing tournaments in Cannes could handle the recording- Aileen or Sinead could, or whoever. Once it's up and running, it's not too hard to keep going.

Sounds like a plan if you can find someone willing.
    If you can't I'd personally rather that you take this one off and get games in if that's what you want to do. I hope there will still be a bunch setups running most of the day for casuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Doyler01 wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan if you can find someone willing.
    If you can't I'd personally rather that you take this one off and get games in if that's what you want to do. I hope there will still be a bunch setups running most of the day for casuals.

Didn't you try to run SF or mvc3 Eirtakon 2011

Also I was thinking, would it not be feasible to keep recording the entirety of a tournament?

Then that way commentators just need to be kept sat on station and nothing is missed?

I understand that its a gross waste of HDD space etc but it would seem more secured other then having someone always present hitting the recording button on/off constantly, only switch off when different games have to be done similar to Spookys setup although, his setup IS designed for live-stream in mind:/

The drawbacks I can see would be editing also

Thats my 2cents anyway, I'm more then happy then lend a hand anyway I can, I have Recording equipment so I know the in and outs of Xspilt, Sound tutorial and I could do everything needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Doom, I agree with Doyler and Nutrient.

Looking at the hotel room doc, I would say you're currently the best SF player going.

So as well as it generally being good for you to get a day off, you also should get some practice in.

I'd actually be really interested to see a full tournament footage file uploaded to your channel (or if not full, go for whatever you feel the maximum safe chunks of time are). But as you said yourself it's not hard for others to start/stop the recordings as long as you've done the setup at the beginning.

We should also use this day to decide international teams (via round robin casuals throughout the day?) if we're invited to the 5v5s again this year for both Marvel and AE.

Unless a few more people end up going, both teams might be in a situation where they need to pad out their team to 5 people with the least bad choice out of some not-great players.

• Advertisement

Nutrient wrote: »
    Didn't you try to run SF or mvc3 Eirtakon 2011

Also I was thinking, would it not be feasible to keep recording the entirety of a tournament?

Then that way commentators just need to be kept sat on station and nothing is missed?

I understand that its a gross waste of HDD space etc but it would seem more secured other then having someone always present hitting the recording button on/off constantly, only switch off when different games have to be done similar to Spookys setup although, his setup IS designed for live-stream in mind:/

The drawbacks I can see would be editing also

Thats my 2cents anyway, I'm more then happy then lend a hand anyway I can, I have Recording equipment so I know the in and outs of Xspilt, Sound tutorial and I could do everything needed.

You need your practice too, although I appreciate the offer :) but yeah you'd be a prime candidate for keeping an eye when I'm busy in general.

Just as a matter of interest- I have three reasons I hack up the vids into multiple fights:
    1) It's better for youtube, gets more hits and means people will watch more
    2) If there's a corruption in recording it won't ruin the whole thing
    3) It'd require a level of commitment which is basically unfair to ask of people that they sit on the mike for shifts, as opposed to just the odd fight here and there. I don't want it to become a chore some people HAVE to do.

Basically though, it just comes down to my personal choice not to.

1) It's better for youtube, gets more hits and means people will watch more
    100% on that

2) If there's a corruption in recording it won't ruin the whole thing
    Again, Perfect sense, especially after the setup BSOD near the end last time:/

3) It'd require a level of commitment which is basically unfair to ask of people that they sit on the mike for shifts, as opposed to just the odd fight here and there. I don't want it to become a chore some people HAVE to do.

Same can be said for you, It's grossly unfair to expect you to do everything when its YOUR tournament to participate in as well, people need give a lending hand voluntarily and not be hounded about it, takes 2secs to look over and see that you've been going about 2hours straight without casuals, let alone a break.

It takes 5-10mins minutes to help out isn't gonna kill anyone:pac:

I know that there is others that help out and I'm not taking stabs at anyone in particular at all, I want to see everyone get a fair chance when the tourney games roll around.

Of course, it's your call:D

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

We should also use this day to decide international teams (via round robin casuals throughout the day?) if we're invited to the 5v5s again this year for both Marvel and AE.

Might be a good idea for 1 or 2 spots on the teams, but maybe at a later date in case we get any late additions.

I don't think its necessary right now tho as I think we only have 5 AE players going am I right? Me Doom AJ Dave and Dark Talant?? And as for Marvel, myself Nutrient Dark Talant and Lee I'm guessing everyone is ok with those 4 on the team, then have the last spot up for grabs.. I don't mind earning my spot in either game in a round robin.

Maybe even letting the top 1 or 2 players in each game choose a team based on match ups and experience with each candidate.

Any thoughts? I'm just spit ballin here..

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

At the moment as far as I know I will have work that evening but i can be there from first thing till six. Voa's girlfriend Siobhan is more than capable of handling the sign-up desk herself so he defo doesn't need me for that and, as I've said to Doom before, I actually quite enjoy doing the recording desk once its been set up and all, so if he's content to let me i'll run the setup for the day. After six i'm sure someone can take over if the tourney runs longer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

so is the 9th the set date for this or is it still up in the air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

I will be popping into the Clarence tomorrow to check if the 9th is free to book.

Let us know, so I can get thinking :)

I'll know by tomorrow.

Alright, they got back to me. It seems the function room is booked out for a directors meeting on the 9th. He'll get back to me on the situation, but it looks like we might be over in the Exchange.

Voa wrote: »
    Alright, they got back to me. It seems the function room is booked out for a directors meeting on the 9th. He'll get back to me on the situation, but it looks like we might be over in the Exchange.

Exchange woo!

I missed my Unclothed posteriors! :pac:

Doesn't matter where we have the tourney, Exchange should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

I think I'm probably the only person who'd prefer the exchange...

Can't get the Clarence. I'ma check the Exchange bookings and see if we can get the 9th there.

*Edit: Scratch that, might have to move the date to the 16th, it looks like there's a couple things on in the Exchange that day. We most likely have to go super early and end super early as well. I'm gonna email the Clarence back on that.

Can't get the Clarence. I'ma check the Exchange bookings and see if we can get the 9th there.

*Edit: Scratch that, might have to move the date to the 16th, it looks like there's a couple things on in the Exchange that day. We most likely have to go super early and end super early as well. I'm gonna email the Clarence back on that.

Just FYI, I can't attend at all that day.

Hm.
    Alright, I've sent an email to the Exchange for the 9th. If we can get it though, we'll be running from SUPER early, like 10am start on SF or UMvC, no excuses.

Could maybe try other hotels in the area too..?

I usually wouldn't make a thing of it, but I would like a crack at the seed points. Would be sucky if I couldn't, seeing as the whole point of this is for people going to Cannes...

• Advertisement

I don't know the other hotels in the area...does anyone know the area well?

The Morgan:

Tel: (01) 6437000

Temple Bar Hotel

Tel: (0)1 612 9200

Fleet St Hotel

Tel: (0)1 6708124

Jurys Inn Christchurch

Tel:+353 1 454 0000

Off the top of the doomhead, I don't be looking for hotels in the city often :D

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

I don't know the other hotels in the area...does anyone know the area well?
    For a CS student you have very little faith in the Internet it seems. ..

Or I'm lazy.

I feel so used.

Oh, you love it Doomy ;)
    In any case, come Monday, I'll do the legwork on those hotels, ask around about functions rooms if the Exchange turns out to be a no go.

..didn't get around to the Hotels yet, probably won't today. No word back from the Exchange either.
    I'll be in tomorrow and/or Wednesday, so I'll plonk in and ask about function rooms and availability then.

9th of Feb just got free in the Clarence.

I'll be making the full tournament rules and what have you later this week, and putting out the call for machines and such. Feel free to PM me right now if you have machines you want to make available for the 9th. Rather than the half price of DoC, every monitor or console brought is free entry to one of the tournaments.

Also, just to mention this ahead of time; I will be putting the 150 quid deposit up front for this, and I'll be taking 140 out of the cash on the 9th to reimburse the cost (the tenner is because I'm entering MvC and team MvC).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Also, just to mention this ahead of time; I will be putting the 150 quid deposit up front for this, and I'll be taking 140 out of the cash on the 9th to reimburse the cost (the tenner is because I'm entering MvC and team MvC).

Why? Did they demand such a deposit? If so, I can prob get that removed as a requirement. PM me

• Advertisement

It's graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.

Advertisement