Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations around ip geolocation and tld vs folders etc

• 14-01-2013 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I have a number of ecommerce websites currently in development. The brand will end up going worldwide but for now we will be selling in .ie, .co.uk and .fr, we also need a non ecommerce website for everyone else.

So what I am thinking is - ip geo location. So if in Ireland and type in example.com you will be brought to example.ie, and so on for the other two (.co.uk and .fr) but for .com you will go stay on the .com. There will be a easy location changer in the header of every site.

I have already made the decision to separate the different location sites by tld as opposed to subdomains or folders. Still not sure if this is the best option!

There seems to be many different ways to do both of these, you just have to choose the best for you - e.g. Apple.com - don't use ip geolocation and use folders. Amazon - multiple tlds (8 worldwide) and geotargeted. Sony - splash page, after that multiple tlds. LG - IP geotargetted and different countries in folders.

Probably two questions really - Is using multiple tlds the best thing to do? Using IP geolocation the best way to cater for all my users?

Thanks,

Jack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 camimi morales

Using one standard tld is good for SEO and then you can use the IP geolocation such as IP2Location to provide customized contents to different visitors.

Advertisement