Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weddings

Options
  • 14-01-2013 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I know we already had a thread about wedding presents, and this thread could be about anything weddingy, but my query right now is about wedding cakes which, years ago, were high-rise pillars of fruit cake, pretty heavy and the icing was like concrete. Thankfully wedding cakes are more edible these days, chocolate, vanilla sponge etc. This is my question, do all the guests still get a slice of cake at the wedding, and do they still give a slice of cake to people who didn't get invited, or couldn't come to the wedding. I went to a wedding last year and nary a sign of the beautiful cake came our way. We left the hooley at 10.30 and still no sign of cake. I also notice some cakes are very small, they could never get around 50+ people. What do they do nowadays?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You wuz had, jb, it was a cardboard cake!

Though in fact i was at a wedding and the caterers just forgot to hand it round!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think the typical thing to do nowadays is for the cake to be cut up and served with tea/coffee around midnight. Either by just putting it out on the available tables or putting it on a side table for guests to take at their leisure.

At our wedding we had 3 layers and although I got a taste of each on the night, we completely forgot to ask the hotel about it the next day, so we've no idea if it was all eaten or if the staff just ate it for dessert the next day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Ah go way, cardboard? Never! Then again....hmmmm. Probably the caterers error then. That must happen a lot. In our day it was served earlier than midnight. That's a bit late for cake mind, everyone is too full of glue by then! But yus, I wus had!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭abbeyrock

I have heard the most people are using either fake cakes or three cheap white icing cakes and adding ribbons etc just for the photos, tradition i suppose. depending on how many attend the wedding as well, but most weddings i have been to there is over 120 people, you would need a big enough cake, and to be honest one desert is enough in my opinion.

I always thought cake as a dessert was an American thing. To me, cake, is just, cake, and you have it with tea or coffee, not ice-cream! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

I'm getting married in April and the wedding cake has 4 tiers. Apart from the fact that it will be cut at some stage of the big day it will be a focal point for some pics too.

You really mustn't allow the caterers to forget to share your luvvly Wedding Cake around the guests, King Krib. Seeing as the bride and groom and their parents will be just relaxing and enjoying the day (and so they should be!), whose job is it to ensure nothing is left undone, best man, maid of honour, bridesmaid, or other designated person? I've no idea.

Advertisement