Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library Audio Books

Options
  • 14-01-2013 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Anyone else use these?
    I'm having a problem downloading on to a cheap mp3 player from my computer. Download seems to fail/connect. I'm not sure if it's the mp3 player or just the service. It works fine from computer btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Is it one large mp3 file or a folder of smaller files equating individual chapters? I have a 4 year old mp3 player that won't take a 400MB single file but can take 10 times that much if they are individually smaller.

If they are individual chapter files, are you able to transfer them one at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

when you say Library audio books do you mean from a public library?
    as in they allow you to download them or do you mean from your music library?
    my mother gets the audio books from the library but she is running out of good books so wondering if there was access to an online resource

^ Not sure if it's nationwide but Waterford City Library have this online service for members: http://www.waterfordcity.ie/library/audiobooks.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

old gregg wrote: »
    Is it one large mp3 file or a folder of smaller files equating individual chapters? I have a 4 year old mp3 player that won't take a 400MB single file but can take 10 times that much if they are individually smaller.

If they are individual chapter files, are you able to transfer them one at a time?

I'm not sure. OneClickDigitaMediaManager is the software they use. I downloaded a pdf showing how to find the downloaded mp3 files on the computer but when I try to find them I cant. I suspect its one huge file.Do you know if its possible to see where the files are stored on the computer and if you can download smaller files rather than one big one?

Skerries wrote: »
    when you say Library audio books do you mean from a public library?
    as in they allow you to download them or do you mean from your music library?
    my mother gets the audio books from the library but she is running out of good books so wondering if there was access to an online resource
    Audio books you can download online on to your computer. Cork county have a couple of hundred online. Your librarian will give you a username/password.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure. OneClickDigitaMediaManager is the software they use. I downloaded a pdf showing how to find the downloaded mp3 files on the computer but when I try to find them I cant. I suspect its one huge file.Do you know if its possible to see where the files are stored on the computer and if you can download smaller files rather than one big one?

What operating system are you using (Windows or Mac and which version)? If it's a case that they have actually been downloaded and exist on your computer then it should be easy to locate them once we know your operating system.

What operating system are you using (Windows or Mac and which version)? If it's a case that they have actually been downloaded and exist on your computer then it should be easy to locate them once we know your operating system.

Win7

Win7

OK, easy enough (we hope). First off a quick tour as to how to find files in Win 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows7/Find-a-file-or-folder

In your case you are looking for a specific file or set of files. If you know the name of the file or the folder it is located in then you can type the file/folder name into the search box and get Windows to search your entire computer for it.

If you know the start of the file name then type the bit you know followed by *.mp3 so for example if you know the file name begins with Joyce then you would type Joyce*.mp3

If you know part of the filename then you could type * Ulysses*.mp3

If you don't know anything then type *.mp3 and it will return a listing of every mp3 on your computer.

Double check that you didn't inadvertently download wma files instead of mp3. I know my library offers wma as default and that won't play on my mp3 player.

By way of info, the * symbol is referred to as a wildcard and dates back to before Windows :)
    Once you find one file then if it is part of a set then you should be able to navigate to the folder that contains the lot and just right click, copy and paste to your connected player.

Make any sense? Best of luck and let us know if you need any more help on this one.

OK, easy enough (we hope). First off a quick tour as to how to find files in Win 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows7/Find-a-file-or-folder

In your case you are looking for a specific file or set of files. If you know the name of the file or the folder it is located in then you can type the file/folder name into the search box and get Windows to search your entire computer for it.

If you know the start of the file name then type the bit you know followed by *.mp3 so for example if you know the file name begins with Joyce then you would type Joyce*.mp3

If you know part of the filename then you could type * Ulysses*.mp3

If you don't know anything then type *.mp3 and it will return a listing of every mp3 on your computer.

Double check that you didn't inadvertently download wma files instead of mp3. I know my library offers wma as default and that won't play on my mp3 player.

By way of info, the * symbol is referred to as a wildcard and dates back to before Windows :)
    Once you find one file then if it is part of a set then you should be able to navigate to the folder that contains the lot and just right click, copy and paste to your connected player.

Make any sense? Best of luck and let us know if you need any more help on this one.

Ha ha thats great. I still dont know exactly where the mp3 files are located in the computer but *mp3 gives me a list of each chapter which downloads perfectly.

Happy reading
    Thanks!

Advertisement