Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No calculators in GAMSAT

• 14-01-2013 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi guys,

Just a simple enough question. In the past GAMSAT papers whereby a calculation is definitely needed to solve the question, can we now assume that these questions will not appear in GAMSAT any more? I know they are far and few between but just wondering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

gh1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just a simple enough question. In the past GAMSAT papers whereby a calculation is definitely needed to solve the question, can we now assume that these questions will not appear in GAMSAT any more? I know they are far and few between but just wondering

You would think so but no quite. I did GAMSAT IE last March and there were several calculations that I could've done with a calculator for.

Learn off your rules of indices so you can manipulate numbers with powers e.g. 1.88546 x 10^15...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeadEight

I do not recall any of the questions requiring exact calculations. The answers were different by multiples or accounted for simple errors you may make; approximations will be fine. For example:

Q. What is the area of a circle with a diameter of 4 cm?

A. 50.27
    B. 6.28
    C. 12.57
    D. 5.03

Using pi=3 will give you the correct answer. If you don't really know the formula you will probally hit on a wrong answer. If you discover that you are performing advanced calculus you are probably on the wrong track. You are not provided with any paper to write your calculations on, other then rough numbers.

Advertisement