Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Gig Guitar

Options
  • 14-01-2013 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

I am starting a band over the next couple of months. Amongst many other things, I will need a new electric gig guitar. The band will be doing indie rock music. My budget is between €200 and €350. I have looked up several lists and Les Paul seems to come up a lot. My local music store assistant recommended a Yamaha Pacifica.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Thanks,

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrECameraman

It really depends on what sort of sound you want. When you say indie, what kind of bands are you thinking of?

at €300, you might consider the second hand market? There are bargains to be had...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Maybe try some of the cash converter pawn shops. You never know what you might find.

I have a Yamaha Pacifica. Im not sure it would be great gig wise. Its a grand guitar to learn on. But it is a budget guitar. Similar to a squire Strat. Probably better made tho.

The pickups are cheep sounding with plenty of backround noise. One good pickup is better than three poor ones. The pickup switch is a bit fiddley. But this is what you will find with all cheep made guitars.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mariok

Hi guys,

Thanks for getting back to me...

I'm thinking along the lines of Oasis, the Smiths, Stone Roses... any tips? Is there a particular website you could recommend for second hand guitars?

Thanks for your help!

M

mariok wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks for getting back to me...

I'm thinking along the lines of Oasis, the Smiths, Stone Roses... any tips? Is there a particular website you could recommend for second hand guitars?

Thanks for your help!

M

Donedeal is always worth a check.

Adverts too. Don't forget you can haggle. Keep your eye out for a second hand tokai les Paul

• Advertisement

I've checked out the Tokai, looks a little above budget even second hand! I need to save for an amp too, so i'm thinking €350 would be the max. How would you guys rate the Epiphone Les Paul Standard?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I'd suggest an epiphone Dot or similar.They're extremely versatile,lovely to play and look great.Can't go wrong with a dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Everything looks good there, except the Walton's bit...

Not a fan of Waltons, Enda?! I've never been...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not a fan of Waltons, Enda?! I've never been...
    I teach. Have done for years. Walton's is at the top of a list of one shop that I actively encourage students to avoid. Based on a solid 100% "I'm sorry I ever bought this" or "I'm sorry I bought this in Walton's" hit rate...

FWIW though.... http://www.thomann.de/ie/vintage_v100it.htm

Yep!,but like the other poster said don't go to waltons.In fact i'd advise against buying a guitar from a shop these days as there are so many bargains second hand on adverts and such.Irish shops don't usually stock too many guitars outback so don't let the second hand thing put you off.The likelihood is when you buy a guitar from a shop tonnes of sweaty horrible hands have been all over it fiddling with knobs,banging it and marking it anyway.

Look for a korean dot if you can find one,if not i'd still rate the chinese dot highly.

endacl wrote: »
    I teach. Have done for years. Walton's is at the top of a list of one shop that I actively encourage students to avoid. Based on a solid 100% "I'm sorry I ever bought this" or "I'm sorry I bought this in Walton's" hit rate...

they're a nice guitar,but the heaviness of the gloss vintage put on their lower range guitars gives a horrible cheap feel.

Thanks guys,

Very much appreciated for all of your help, I really wasn't sure where to begin looking. Does anyone have any tips on a good gigging amp, between €200 - €400?

Thanks again

M

endacl wrote: »

http://www.thomann.de/ie/epiphone_les_paul_studio_gothic_b_stock_3.htm
    Would something like this be more durable.

What sort of music? In that price range I'd be looking second hand though, for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Chris 90

Try the Thomann website, I find it great.

I'm thinking along the lines of Oasis, the Smiths, Stone Roses...

I'm looking for something to last long, if you think i should go second hand do you have any suggestions? I'm starting to look at Fender Les Paul guitars and Vox amps, any opinions on them for gigging?

I see some on donedeal...
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/guitars/4283254

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

My local music store assistant recommended a Yamaha Pacifica.

I gig with my Pacifica 112V. I upgraded the neck pickup as it was a small bit noisy when idle, and I put locking tuners on it to help with tuning and strings changes.. In hindsight the locking tuners were a great purchase, the pickup upgrades not so much (cos I paid a lot for them). But those were just optimisations. Out of the box it's fine for gigging, great sound for a cheap guitar.. AND if it was stolen/broken it wouldnt cost a huge amount to replace.

To be honest, even if I had the money I wouldnt bring a really expensive guitar gigging. Too much chance of it getting knocked, beer spilt on it, idiots messing etc etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Chris 90

Really depends if you have your heart set on the Gibson Les Paul, go for it at the end of the day it's your choice and money, but look around first. Here's a link to thomann, it's really cheap considering it also factors in vat and postage.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/search_dir.html?gf=lp_models&bn=Epiphone&sw=epiphone&pr=300a400

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

I bought a really nice Squier Telecaster for €300 recently. I have a Fender version, but needed a similar one as back-up for string breaks/tunings at gigs. Very similar to yourself, I was trying to spend reasonably low money, but get good value, and something that's genuinely gig-worthy.

Initially, I was set on second hand, as I felt I'd get more bang for buck. However, after a lot of shopping around, I decided against it. What I found was so many of the s/h stuff has been modified, and not necessarily by an expert. Most guys are totally honest about upgrades they did, but some are less so. So I felt I couldn't be sure what was changed, and how well the work was done.

It's personal preference of course, but reliability is a big thing for me in a guitar being used on stage. So tinkering with the modifications is not something I'm a fan of at all.

There's loads of guys on this board do brilliant work and improve their guitars. There's also some who disimprove theirs, either through making the wrong modifications, or doing the right thing in a shoddy way. As a buyer in the s/h market, I felt I couldn't be certain which was which. While it might be fine on purchase, problems down the line are a different story. Also, it was a challenge from me, because I'm not an expert, so it's not like I could open it up and say "oh, sweet wiring job dude".

Seperate to modification, a fair amount of s/h gear was clearly mistreated at some point. Or it had been kept badly and tidied up for sale. There is pristine stuff on the s/h market, but the sellers know the value of it, and the price differential between theirs and new is fairly small.

I know the chap in my guitar store of choice well, so I knew any issues with the new Squier would be no problem to sort. 6 months on I've had no problems, it's a way better guitar than I expected for the money. I know my opinion might p*ss some mad keen modifiers off, but this is my experience/opinion/advice, coming from a similar position as the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kamc

Hey OP, I would really like to hear your band. You are planning to cover some great bands.

Don't know what part of the country you are in but I just purchased a beautiful Fender Telecaster from Pro Musica in Cork City. It cost me 470 euro but it is well worth it (made me see what I was missing out on with my old piece of crap). Many of their guitars were in that price range and less. The service was great and they were really friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kahler

bear in mind that the les paul neck is quite different from the "fender" type neck. you may not like it. for 350 you are in second hand mexican strat territory. some very nice guitars in that range. do get someone who knows their guitars to check any purchases (second hand or shop). peavey bandits are handy amps. robust with a decent enough clean sound. the drive side of the amp has a lot of control too. remember, you will prob need pedals too. a tuning pedal is a must. no one wants to hear you tuning up between songs... good luck with the search. :-)

Advertisement