Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access, Poulaphouca Reservoir and Lacken/Ballyknocken

Options
  • 14-01-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

As a long term Hillwalker, I have noticed lately that between Lacken and Ballyknocken,there are a lot of new "No Entry" and "Private Property" signs along the road. I am aware of the issue of Access to the beach at 018 103 which used to be a beautiful way of accessing "Zellers" after coming off Black Hill and which has been a problem in recent years.
    In addition, I found recently that access to the lake from the lane at Zellers is now also blocked. There are also new signs at Ballyknockan affecting access to the village from Moanbane/Silsean
    Is there some local issue that anyone can illuminate me on? There appears to be much more signage in this general area than anywhere else in Wicklow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't usually access that area of the hills from down along the lakeside so I don't know of any problems. I do, however, know a keen hillwalker who lives in Ballyknockan, and I'll ask him if he knows anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Owen1947

Appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

OK, he said that he doesn't know anything about the situation in Lacken but he knows of only 2 public access points out of Ballyknockan ... one at forestry left (south) of the quarry and one at forestry right of quarry (i.e. Macs of the Brook.) He says that if you are accessing via the Old Schoolhouse/Bus terminus/ Car park area then you are trespassing. Doesn't mean a lot to me as I don't know the village well, as I said, but that's what he told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Owen1947

Thanks Alun, know of issue at old Schoolhouse. I would access at quarry as you said.

Advertisement