Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shaft lenght

Options
  • 14-01-2013 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

hi i have what i think is an old burke boat 19ft have it 2 year haven done much fishing hopeing to use more this year i had a johnson 8 short shaft on it great engine but found on rough days on ree engine seemed more time out of water than in it with a gorgling sound . so now have a honda 10 long shaft and find it very awkward lifting on and off my measurements seem to suggest i need a long shaft but everyone else seems to use a short shaft on these boats should i change again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

do you leave the boat on the lake ?or take home each time? why not get an engine prop made up and you can leave engine on the boat, that is if you take the boat home each time!

i fish ree in a lynch boat with a honda 15, and it only comes off at the end of the season to be serviced!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you are running in shallow water I would go with the short shaft as your prop in the photo looks to be below the keel making it very vulnerable also as you might not be getting up on the plane the position of the cavitation won't make much of a difference. The rule of thumb is if your transom 15" from top to bottom it's a short and if it's 20" it's long, your best bet might be just to ring burke boats and see what they say.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭huntsman77

Yea know the props are the a good job was behind a boat one day with that set up and back of boat got serious battering with bounce from the trailer . never have prob with engine in shallow water just awkward lift and move with weight and it been long shaft.

Advertisement