Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting mode Poll

• 14-01-2013 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭

Not sure if a poll was carried out previously, looking back over some threads on this matter, there has been some heated debate. Just curious as to how a poll would look .

Which shooting mode do you mostly tend to use 91 votes

Manual
    0% 0 votes
    Aperture priority
    41% 38 votes
    Shutter priority
    54% 50 votes
    Auto/ scene mode
    3% 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

voted for how i use the digital and the more advanced film camera; in the sense that it's how i shoot if the option is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Manual all the way - I want full control over my exposure, if I wanted the camera to give me the "right" exposure, I'd leave it in aperture or shutter priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

aperture priority most of the time (with exposure comp where needed)
    manual the other times

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i really don't see a difference between shooting aperture priority (and using exposure compensation), and shooting manual - unless the meter is more than three stops out from what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

#2 Mostly and #3 for gigs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

i really don't see a difference between shooting auto (and using exposure compensation), and shooting manual - unless the meter is more than three stops out from what you want.

DOF control? Motion control?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Most of my stuff is studio based so I use Manual. Otherwise I'd use Aperture Priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I made the decision a few years back on a holiday to only shoot in manual, hoping it would help me get to know my camera and exposure better. I lost a lot of shots on that holiday but it made me learn quick and I haven't changed since :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

secman wrote: »
    Not sure if a poll was carried out previously, looking back over some threads on this matter, there has been some heated debate. Just curious as to how a poll would look .

The heated debate wasn't over shooting modes though. Whatever rocks your boat and gets you the shots you want I say. What sparked a bit of debate was a crazy broad generalisation that every shot taken with a camera not on manual was pants. Which, lets be honest here, was a bit of a :confused: moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

It would have depended on the job, sports based would be shutter priority and weddings were mostly aperture priority with some manual thrown in. I was spoilt with the 1d though, it could meter as if hardwired into your brain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Totally depends on what you're doing at the time. For general feckaboutery I use AV and keep it fairly open (usually f5.6 or so). If there is any movement involved I'll use TV and set the shutter time for something appropriate to the lens focal length and subject's movement. If the camera's on a tripod I'll use manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I almost always shoot manual. Just moved from Aperture priority to manual and never went back. Shot it for everything - sports, PR, events. The very odd time I would use aperture priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Aperture priotity mostly but depending on the subject I would change to shutter priority or manual if I want full control over ISO settings - which ocassionally tend to be set far too low for my liking when set in the auto iso mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Depends on so many factors but if im just 'walking around' ill usually have it in Aperture Priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Aperture priority would be my usual, unless I'm using old M42 or Manual K mount lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

no one has admitted to using auto yet! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Aperture Priority, mostly. Manual for when AP isn't suitable. Lets be honest, I could use manual most of the time, but I'd only be doing what the camera does except 10 times slower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

no one has admitted to using auto yet! :D

I do on a point and shoot. :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Aperture Priority mostly but finding myself using manual a lot more lately. I once used shutter priority....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

80% aperture priority / 10% manual / 10% shutter priority

In that order.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Very, very few of the cameras I own allow full auto but when it's available I use it. It's very relaxing.

1st to vote full auto too:pac:. But that's only when available.

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    DOF control? Motion control?
    sorry, my mistake - i meant to say 'aperture priority' rather than auto.

i'd shoot on manual generally when i know the lighting is consistent, and so once i know what exposure i want, i'd leave it there and not have to worry about the subject fooling the meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

It really depends on the situation.

If im strolling around with camera in hand, its on aperture, generally set to wide open for nice bokeh and a quick shot. often you have seconds or less to capture a great scene. Id rather get "the" shot on semi automatic settings than be fluting around with settings and completely missing a nice scene.

If i have a shot planned i like to use mannual, but i take a few test shots first to find the right exposure for the effect i want. This can involve taking a shot in Aperture priority or shutter priority, to see what the camera recommends in both areas, based on my tests I then select what looks best, set mannual and take my shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭b318isp

Like a lot of these polls, answering the question cannot be done accurately. It's more likely that I'll use AP for general purposes, but I tend to use manual when I have the external flash attached or when doing non-flash stage work. Between these two, its about a 60:40 split. TP is used very, very occasionally for motion based shots. I may go into P mode (Auto with some ability to manually adjust exposure) if I have to use the pop up flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Generally I use aperture priority mode but for partys with flash I use manual mode. For long exposure and shots using filters its manual mode. And I use program mode too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I've used (mainly) Aperture Priority from the start. Occasionally Shutter Priority and scene modes depending on the subject. I noticed a lot of books/tutorials tell you to start off in Auto when you're learning but I've used auto forever on Point & Shoots so what's the point in getting an expensive DSLR and then starting off in Auto? :rolleyes:

Advertisement