Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loughlinstown Pool

Options
  • 14-01-2013 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else used the new pool in Loughlinstown yet?
    We've been up in Meadowbrook a few times with our 2 year old son and on that basis were looking forward to the opening of Loughlinstown pool. I was a little bit disappointed when it opened, having assumed it would be similar to Meadowbrook. There is no children's pool. The main (only) pool is the same depth all along (I'd guess 1.25m?). The main showers have no rail/hooks to hang a towel on and everyone has to walk past from the pool so even if you leave your towel on the ground it'll get walked on. There are a few shower cubicles which are good. There are plenty of lockers and changing rooms; so many, that if they were ever all used the pool would be more like people-soup rather than a pool. The rest of the centre has benefited greatly from the makeover and the staff are as friendly as ever. Probably glad to be out of the portakabin. Thanks Eamon Gilmore :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I've been up a few times with the little ones. I worked as a lifeguard in many pools and here's my thoughts.

1. No kids pool, very poor especially on this day and age.

2. Pool same depth, cheaper to heat, better for kids lessons, safer, a little bit shallow for more serious swimmers.

3. Lane lay out, poorly managed, the pool is split with 2 lanes set aside for lane swimmers, however these also need to be separated. Causes mayhem when there not.

4. Showers, plenty to rinse yourself with before entering pool. The cubicles for after use are poorly designed ( they do have a hook)

5. Toilets, individual unisex toilets. Designed to be kept clean. The whole lay out means you don't require male and female staff on at the same time.

6. Sauna and jacuzzi in the old part, bad design.

Overall it's very disjointed and offers no interaction between facilities available. Set up to have low running costs. The turning circle in car park may be intended for future expansion to include kids pool but even them its a bad design as the kids pool should be between main pool and changing rooms,
    Personally I think I may keep going to monks town even though loughlinstoem is closer.

Advertisement