Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone to TV cable

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I have option 2. It works perfectly, use it mainly for Sky Sports TV app and watching football on the telly. Picture is great and sound does indeed come out of the TV. The split charging cable is also very useful as watching long videos eats away at your battery.

Yes it will work with netflix - it displays whatever is on your screen be it video, app, games, whatever.

You'll need to be jailbroken to use any cable that isn't official.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ninap

I have something similar to the first one (but it also has a slot which allows the phone/ipad to charge at the same time as it's connected to the tv). It works well, but I don't use it too often, as I also have an Apple Tv. You might consider investing in one of those. Allows you to wirelessly stream content from your phone/ipad to the tv, and access any photos or music on your laptop / pc to play through the TV (and hifi, if you have it connected). You can also access netflix directly through the Apple TV in hi def.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

maximoose wrote: »
    I have option 2. It works perfectly, use it mainly for Sky Sports TV app and watching football on the telly. Picture is great and sound does indeed come out of the TV. The split charging cable is also very useful as watching long videos eats away at your battery.

Yes it will work with netflix - it displays whatever is on your screen be it video, app, games, whatever.

You'll need to be jailbroken to use any cable that isn't official.

Thanks for the reply Maximoose
    I dont want to spend an arm and a leg here, just looking to spend 20 Euro which rules out certain things.
    So, essentially, the iPhone needs to be jailbroken in order to allow me to project the image from my iphone to the TV ?
    And a non jailbroken phone does not allow you view things on the TV unless you spend extra dosh ?
    I have the latest IOS loaded ( think its 6.0.1 ) so as far as I am aware jail breaking is out of the question................well for a while anyways

If you can't jailbreak, you can use this

It's the same thing but the official apple cable, and thus a bit pricier!

The cheap cables do the exact same job, but your phone won't support them unless jailbroken
    (unless this has changed recently, didn't work for me when I updated to 6.0 anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Do the cheaper cables work with an iPad2? Or would I have to buy the more expensive one?

• Advertisement

Same as iPhone, unless it's jailbroken it will only support the official cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Afaik some apps don't allow tv mirroring. Particularly skygo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

guil wrote: »
    Afaik some apps don't allow tv mirroring. Particularly skygo

Yep, but if your going to jailbreaking anyway to use the unofficial cables then there is a free mod in the cydia store called displayout which will fix this particular problem. Official cables are such a rip I would jailbreak just for that.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

Yep, but if your going to jailbreaking anyway to use the unofficial cables then there is a free mod in the cydia store called displayout which will fix this particular problem. Official cables are such a rip I would jailbreak just for that.
    Yes but skygo won't work on a jb device without x-con and x-con alias. Also pretty sure none of the 3 will work on iOS 6

guil wrote: »
    Yes but skygo won't work on a jb device without x-con and x-con alias. Also pretty sure none of the 3 will work on iOS 6

Works for me on 6.0 gm anyway (I don't have either of those packages)

• Advertisement

That's strange. There's even a massive thread here about it, I don't really use skygo so it doesn't affect me but I tried it when I was jailbroken and it either gave a message about being jb or wouldn't run.

Not worth anywhere near that. Worth about a tenth! But you'd be surprised how stupid people can be, 84 people have apparently bought it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Simon201 wrote: »
    Think there's something wrong there... the 84 people who bought it only seemed to have paid 9.99!

:eek: Thats eBay for ya

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Is that on a jailbroken device?

I have an official cable a couple of years old and want to watch SkyGo. Just wondering if I need a jailbreak... (iPad 3 on latest OS).

Yep it's jailbroken, unofficial cable (€5 ebay job) and I have TVOut2 Mirror TVOut and Resupported+ installed on cydia.

Let me just double check later on, the only things I use it for regularly are Sky Sports TV and Netflix, haven't tried SkyGo in months so I'll give it a try later and let you know!

That would be awesome, thanks, maximoose. :)

No rush. Have a lot on this week might JB the iPad at the weekend if it's a runner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I have a cheap, non-Apple cable that works fine on my non-jailbroken ipad 3. Never tried it on the phone.

I've had it for a couple of years, and If I could remember where I got it this post would be more useful.

jakdublin wrote: »
    I have a cheap, non-Apple cable that works fine on my non-jailbroken ipad 3. Never tried it on the phone.

I've had it for a couple of years, and If I could remember where I got it this post would be more useful.

u must be lucky to get it working on a non jail broken device

if you could find that link, it would be very useful alright :)

• Advertisement

Surely wouldn't work with some of the apps mentioned here, though.

Just FYIs, I hooked up an official Apple cable last night to my iPad and it only played video from Camera Roll and the Apple Video app.

YouTube didn't detect it at all, and Sky Go played the audio through the TV, but just a Sky Go static image on the screen. Here's hoping a JB will solve that.

Dades wrote: »
    Just FYIs, I hooked up an official Apple cable last night to my iPad and it only played video from Camera Roll and the Apple Video app.

YouTube didn't detect it at all, and Sky Go played the audio through the TV, but just a Sky Go static image on the screen. Here's hoping a JB will solve that.

annoying, I presume the reason you paid extra for the official cable was so that everything wold work without having to jailbreak etc.

annoying, I presume the reason you paid extra for the official cable was so that everything wold work without having to jailbreak etc.
    To be fair, when I bought the cable to use with an iPhone (3GS, I think?) everything I wanted to worked great.

I only started using SkyGo recently, and I also understand why they'd want to lock down their service to handheld devices only. Just as I'm sure they'll understand why I want to bypass their lock. :p

skygo can detect a jailbreak and the only thing that blocked it previously was xcon alias and a cracked copy of skygo which i don't think can be got anymore

So no dice anymore with a jailbreak, Sky Go and the AV out? Blues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭lau1247

Dades wrote: »

Apologies if I'm digging up an old thread, did you manage to get the Youtube app working in the end with the official cable??

I bought a used official apple cable, BBC iplayer works fine on the ipad2 but youtube didn't.. I have also tried youtube on an iphone 4s and it works fine.. I just can't figure out why youtube is not working on ipad.. anyone have an idea??

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Can I suggest a slightly difference approach. Google last week released a new product in the US called Chromecast. Kind of converts your normal tv into a smart tv. All you need to do is connect it to your wifi. It will work with Androids, iPads, iPhones etc. Best part is that it only costs $35 in the US. Should be released in Europe in the next few weeks. judging by the US price it should be around €30.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/#play

Advertisement