Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013: Can I improve??

Options
  • 14-01-2013 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi All,

I actually meant starting this log up on 01/01/2013...but I'm only getting around to it now.
    I think its a great idea to write one of these logs, and I enjoy reading yours... I've certainly learnt one or two things about running training that I didn't know already from reading your threads.

Firstly to introduce myself, I'm a 34yo male and always have been into running and all sports, I'd watch any sports on the telly if let!! I have a reasonable level of fitness. I played soccer and Gaelic up until a few years ago, mind you, not to any great standard...it was good to compete but we never won anything!!!

I completed my first ever competitive running race back in 2005 (10km in Phoenix Park) and since then I really got the competitive bug..so each year I've done a handful of events around the country...I enjoy the competitive nature of the races more so than the training..I'm sure I'm not alone there!

Up until this year my training for these races would have consisted of just getting out there and running, gradually increasing the distance of my training run towards my target race distance, without any knowledge or thought of speed training, interval training etc. etc. So I just went out and plodded through the miles gradually getting fitter but I found that in most of my races I nearly always went out too hard and finished poorly...it wasn't until I started running with a group/club that the penny dropped, and by speaking to other runners I think I picked up a lot of useful information regarding better quality training.

As the title suggests my goals for 2013 are to improve on my race times...My favourite distances are the 10km and half-marathon though I think I might try different ones this year. I'll try and post up my race results from last year in the next post...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sb78

Date Race Time Finishing Position
    17/06/2012 Parkwest 10km 41:14:00 27th
    24/06/2012 Strawberry Half Marathon 01:32:44 49th
    07/07/2012 Achill Half Marathon 01:32:59 37th
    26/08/2012 Longford Half Marathon 01:26:31 17th
    15/09/2012 Athlone Half Marathon 01:25:37 68th
    22/09/2012 Cuisle Roscommon Charity Run 40:02:00 10th
    07/10/2012 Athlone 3/4 Marathon 02:13:22 33rd
    01/12/2012 Waterford A.C. Half Marathon 01:25:20 75th

above are my results from last year, I don't think I was at my best for the first few races...the Achill half-marathon was a real brute but I was still disappointed to finish 5 minutes slower than my best time over that course..
    Looking back, my training just wasn't up to scratch and I didn't realise it at the time.
    I did a lot better in the latter half of the year, as I was training with people who were better than me and that got me fitter and faster...
    This year I'd like to be able to get down to 37-38 minutes for 10kms but not sure if I can get there. I still havent officially gone under 40mins for 10kms so want to get that out of the way first...small goals...!
    For the half marathons, I'd like to be able to do a 1.22 before the end of the year but again that could be optimistic...

ok, just realised that copying stuff from excel into here is a waste of time as it comes out all rubbish...!! I'll need to figure out google docs...!

Right its time to start recording my training. I'm using a Garmin Forerunner 110 and although its a basic model and doesn't work properly sometimes, its still been a bit of a revelation for me..up until now I had only been using a basic stopwatch. I'd be pretty much lost without it for my training now...Although I've been back in training since the start of the year, I'm just going to start posting my logs from today..so here goes:

Monday Jan 14th: 3 miles easy pace in 22.54. Avg Pace was 7:27. Ran at Lunchtime..This was run at an easy pace. I have an ongoing issue with my left hamstring and I could feel it in this run. Its been bothering me since November and I have been managing it as best I can. I have another running session tonight so wanted to take it easy on this run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I was 16th in Longford (fading fast :pac:), it looks like you were 2 seconds behind me!! Small world. I'll follow this log with interest.

Monday 14th Jan (Evening Session)..
    Ran miles approx in 29:47 (avg pace 7 min 35)..
    Also did usual 1 mile jog down and back home from the track...
    This was meant to have been a group track session but the track was too slippy to use so we had to do the session on a sort of cross country course around the track. I didn't bring any spikes so had to run on the heavy ground in unsuitable regular running shoes....as a result I don't think I got as much out of the session as planned, as I could not run up to normal speed...but also I didn't push myself too much for fear of loosing my footing as the ground was in a bad state in patches. Hamstring felt ok but then again it wasn't really tested tonight...

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    I was 16th in Longford (fading fast :pac:), it looks like you were 2 seconds behind me!! Small world. I'll follow this log with interest.

cheers...that was the first time I'd done Longford, nice flat route for the most part...good for PB's...I'll probably be back...I think I was shocked with my time at the finish..I didn't think I was on for a PB that day.

I heard people on here talking about Jack Daniels Running Formula book so last week I ordered it on Amazon and it arrived today. Hoping I'll be able to get some good running plans out of it...I've just started reading it so early days...I'm also thinking of doing a race at the weekend, probably a 10km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Welcome to the wonderful world of obsessive runners.............

Great times and nice improvement in your half times from June to August

Btw, just started reading Daniels today, good to know the science behind the theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Have also just started reading Daniels, mostly out of frustration at not being able to understand half the people on this forum ;)

I have to say, while some of it is very interesting, some of it is far too technical for where I am with regard to running. I've only read the first couple of chapters but I guess that's the basis for the whole book. At least some of the technical TLAs start to peter out as the book progresses, so I'm hoping it's less like studying as I go on.

I guess if you're doing an MBA, reading the first few chapters is like kit-kat time :P

• Advertisement

guinang wrote: »
    Have also just started reading Daniels.

I guess if you're doing an MBA, reading the first few chapters is like kit-kat time :P

I think the MBA is easier than Daniels......

Tuesday 15th Jan...
    Spent the last 15 mins or so typing out today's post only to then somehow lose it all ...only I could do that.:confused::confused::confused:
    So Take 2:
    Original plan today was just to do an easy/recovery run after yesterday's 2 sessions. However seeing as we didnt get to do the speed session at the track last night I decided to do it today.
    Using the 'pyramids' I ran 0.1mile, 0.2m, 0.3m, 0.4m, 0.5m splits and then ran these intervals in reverse. Surprisingly the legs felt better than I was expecting after yesterday...I was probably running at 85% speed/effort, and gladly the hamstring behaved itself as well.
    On the downside I'm realising that my Garmin Forerunner 110 is pretty useless at giving accurate readings for short interval lengths. Firstly, sometimes it can take the best part of a mile to pick up the satellite/GPS location..then for short intervals after you have pressed start it just doesn't register for the first half of the interval so you end up running longer and getting a totally inaccurate split time...and of course by the time you press start and stop the watch you're already losing momentum.You're better just using a normal stopwatch for really short intervals.
    Another thing to take into consideration on these type of workouts is to find somewhere that you are not going to run into interference with cars, people, Dogs etc. I ran this session in a quite park but there were still a couple of areas where I met traffic and that put me off the interval a little... its best if you can find straights with no twists/turns or no road crossings...
    For what its worth, here are my readings, I had to slightly guess the real short ones as my Garmin split reading were just bananas..
    Ran 0.1 mile in 0m38sec or 6:25 per mile
    Ran 0.2 mile in 1m06sec or 5:21 per mile
    Ran 0.3 mile in 1m49sec or 5:57 per mile
    Ran 0.4 mile in 2m16sec or 5:40 per mile
    Ran 0.5 mile in 2m49sec or 5:39 per mile
    Ran 0.5 mile in 2m50sec or 5:43 per mile
    Ran 0.4 mile in 2m20sec or 5:51 per mile
    Ran 0.3 mile in 1m47sec or 5:53 per mile
    Ran 0.2 mile in 1m07sec or 5:24 per mile
    Ran 0.1 mile in 0m38sec or 6:25 per mile
    Overall it was a good session and I felt fairly strong, just the interval timings are dubious

Welcome to the wonderful world of obsessive runners.............

Great times and nice improvement in your half times from June to August

ah cheers...its great to be here...though surprised someone actually reading this...!!

guinang wrote: »
    Have also just started reading Daniels, mostly out of frustration at not being able to understand half the people on this forum ;)

I have to say, while some of it is very interesting, some of it is far too technical for where I am with regard to running. I've only read the first couple of chapters but I guess that's the basis for the whole book. At least some of the technical TLAs start to peter out as the book progresses, so I'm hoping it's less like studying as I go on.

I've got as far as page 22 so far. I agree its quite technical...I am in 2 minds whether to skip the stuff at the start and get straight into the programs but then again not sure they would make much sense if you haven't read the earlier chapters

For the session you done today, maybe try to program the watch via Garmin Training Center, don't know if the 110 allows this or not?.
    I spent 20 mins today putting the next 6 weeks sessions into GTC then pleading to the watch, time well spent if you ask me! One you do them once, you have them forever.
    There's also downloadable Garmin ready program's on Runners World UK website, the sessions are already programmed in, but you can change them if needed.

I get hung up on splits and having the watch programmed, others less so, all depends what you are into.

sb78 wrote: »
    I've got as far as page 22 so far. I agree its quite technical...I am in 2 minds whether to skip the stuff at the start and get straight into the programs but then again not sure they would make much sense if you haven't read the earlier chapters

Nah, you have to read the whole thing, have had many a debate with people on here about that as,e topic!

For the session you done today, maybe try to program the watch via Garmin Training Center, don't know if the 110 allows this or not?.
    I spent 20 mins today putting the next 6 weeks sessions into GTC then pleading to the watch, time well spent if you ask me! One you do them once, you have them forever.
    There's also downloadable Garmin ready program's on Runners World UK website, the sessions are already programmed in, but you can change them if needed.

I get hung up on splits and having the watch programmed, others less so, all depends what you are into.

cheers for that advice, didn't know much about the GTC, but will look into it...I reckon I will have to upgrade the Garmin....
    In general my problem is that I'm just not very organised when it comes to session planning/race planning. I guess that's why I bought the book.. I don't like to book a bunch of races together for the year, usually I leave the races until the last minute...
    Up until now I would have been roughly following programs with a race in mind... at the moment I'm just ticking over really but I plan on getting through Daniel's book in the next 2 weeks. Hopefully that will give me a sound basis to plan my sessions over the season better...and know where I'm going

Just had a look at the calendar there, lots of events I'd like to do...I think this year I'll probably focus more on shorter races: 5ks and 10ks, would also like to try cross country and hill races...that's not asking much of the legs is it???????

I've just registered for the Great Heath 10km on Sunday, there's nothing else near me this weekend and nowadays I don't like to travel too far to races..a few years ago I'd think nothing of driving 2-3 hours for a race but now I want less driving time and more rest!!

Wednesday 16/01/2013....

Did a group track fartlek session which consisted of 7 x 2 minute intervals at 5k pace with a 1 minute recovery jog after. After that we did 4 x 400 metres sprints with a 200m recovery walk.
    I was feeling a bit low on energy today for some reason, so I knew tonight was always going to be a struggle...I had to resort to taking ultra-strong coffee beforehand to get me up for this...
    I felt fine for the first 3-4 intervals but I obviously went out far too quick (thanks coffee), as I really struggled for the remainder of the intervals. Then when it came to the 400m sprints there was nothing left in the tank so I just completed them in my own time.

Unfortunately more problems with the Garmin Forerunner 110 tonight... it only managed to record the first 4 intervals and then packed it in altogether (screen went blank - though it appears fine again now)...hope this doesn't continue... it doesn't seem to work as well if its really murky/foggy...also it was raining throughout the workout...still you'd expect it to be more reliable than that...
    No point in listing my times here as they are incomplete.
    That was a really tough session, I'm still wide awake after it to be honest, and of course the coffee wont do anything good for the sleep...here's hoping tomorrow isn't a tough day in work...

Friday 18/01/13 Ran 6 miles in 45:43, avg pace 7min37, easy pace
    Took a break from the running yesterday instead of a doing a recovery run. The break in itself was the recovery. I really needed it as I didn't get a good night sleep on Wed night, and therefore no benefits to be got from running yesterday.

Today I ran 2 laps of a 3 mile circuit in my local area. Its an undulating course, so good for running.
    The legs were fine, but I felt a bit sluggish throughout. This was an early-morning run (started at 7am) so probably felt a little harder than it normally would. I usually don't like to run too early in the morning and I find it very hard to get up in the dark mornings. I prefer to do my training either at lunchtime or in the evenings.

I am up to page 40 of Daniels Running Formula Book. So far slow progress. I am not dedicating enough time to it - if only there were a few more hours in the day?!
    So far, I'm struck by the emphasis he places on doing slow steady runs to build up a base of fitness, and also the importance of the rest phase between your interval work. This may sound obvious, but it is something that I have been overlooking in my own training. For example, before christmas I was sometimes doing 3-4 fast sessions a week and not enough slower work, also I was not taking a long enough break during my interval work...

• Advertisement

Saturday 19/01/13. Ran 4.5 miles easy pace in 35:11. Avg pace = 7:49.
    Managed to wake up early this morning at 7.30am (that's early for me on a Saturday morning!!) and was out the door for the run at 8.00am. Was still semi-dark when I started out on the run. Took it very easy, and felt fine on the run...obviously didn't want to take anything out of myself with tomorrow's race in mind..met one or two other runners out early which was good to see...

Tomorrow am doing the Great Heath 10km run in Co Laois.. Hoping to come in under the 40 minute mark and to be honest I'll be disappointed if I don't manage to do it. I've managed to almost do it in a couple of 'time-trial' runs that I ran before the christmas break, so I'm hoping that the race scenario will result in a quicker time...the plan is to not go off too quick tomorrow so I'll be on a tight rein and I'm planning on running at about 6min 30 for the first couple of 3 miles and then gradually increasing the pace from there...my only concern is that I've not done enough 10km-specific training in my speedwork, rather the last few weeks of my training have been more suited to 5kms...anyway we'll see tomorrow..looking forward to the competitive action again..

Wow, hoping for a sub 40 10k. Best of luck, hope you get it! Be interested in hearing your feedback on the concerns you have. I'll be in the same boat in April.

Wow, hoping for a sub 40 10k. Best of luck, hope you get it! Be interested in hearing your feedback on the concerns you have. I'll be in the same boat in April.

cheers, yeah all sounds so easy doesn't it...will report back tomorrow one way or the other

Sunday 20/01/13. Greath Heath 10km race:
    Chip Time: 39:41. Race Time: 39:48. Avg. Pace/mile: 6:18. Overall finished 18th
    Mile Splits: 6:31; 6:24; 6:21; 6:20; 6:16; 5:59; 6:04..

Despite leaving the house in acres of time, I only got to the start until 10:20am. It was only 2.5 degrees in the car on the way down but there didnt seem to be any ice on the roads.Got a bit lost after Portloaise, so what should have been a 1 hour drive ended up more like 1 and a half hours. I had to stop outside a house and ask for directions in the end but it turned out that I wasnt far away from the GAA club. So it was a rushed job getting to the registration, picking up kit, toilet, stretch and do a proper warm up run. Before I knew where I was the race was about to start..

My plan was to start slowly and gradually increase the pace. I wanted to hold back until after mile 3 and I think it worked out fairly well. Cruised through the first 3 miles and still felt fresh enough. A good few people were passing me early on but I my head I was saying to myself not to go too hard too early, as I knew I wouldn't get home if I went out too fast.

Then After mile 3 I knew that I had to pick up the pace to get in under the 40 min mark. Still felt fine at this stage..Between mile 4 and 5 there was a tough enough hill (so much for the flat route!) I managed to get through that without losing too much time and luckily mile 5-6 was gently downhill so I really pressed on from here...I had passed a good few by this stage..I could see a group of 3 lads ahead of me now and I tried to focus on catching them to keep the pace up..though by the end of mile 6, I was flat to the boards and was starting to feel the pain..the final 0.25 miles were uphill and I knew I was ahead by this stage, though when I got to the finish, there was no overhead banner that usually marks the finish of a race, so I wasn't actually sure where the finish line was! Luckily I had a bit to spare. The legs held up well and I could only feel the old hamstring injury near the end. Really happy with setting a new PB for this distance, I'd like to think that I had something left at the end but we'll leave that for another day.

Great performance in the cold

Great performance in the cold

thanks, didn't feel the cold too much... after spending far too long in the car I was only too glad to get out and face it...was hot and bothered by then so needed to cool down:)

Summary of last week's runs:
    14/01/13 to 20/01/13
    Monday 14th (am): 3m easy pace. Monday 14th (pm): 3.93 cross country tempo pace
    Tues 15th: Fartlek session. 1 mile warm up/warm down. 'Pyramid' intervals of 0.1m up to 0.5m and then in reverse at 5k pace with 2 min jog in between each workout
    Wed 16th: Fartlek/Intervals. 1 mile warm up/warm down. 7 x 2min @5k pace. 4 x 400m sprints.
    Thurs 17th: rest
    Friday 18th: 6m easy pace
    Sat 19th: 4.5m easy pace
    Sun 20th: 10km race

Total Mileage for week: approx 32mile
    My main focus for the next few weeks will be on 10km events. I definitely won't race next weekend but am looking at the Enniscorthy 10km race on Feb 10th as my next challenge. I know the route, having ran it a few times before. Not sure if its a PB course though...

I'm afraid I still haven't made any further progress on Daniel's running book. Fairly busy at the moment with work so am finding it hard to find reading time on top of doing all the running. So, I'm kind of making up the training sessions as I go along. I'll stick to the 2-3 speed sessions per week and the rest will be just easy sessions.

Monday 21/01/13
    AM
    Did a 4 mile run in early morning cold @ recovery pace of around 8 minutes to the mile. It was bitter cold. Gladly no adverse reactions to yesterday's race.

PM
    1 mile warm up/down. Then 10 x 300m on track.
    Was in two minds whether or not to do group track session in the evening. After a race the day before, logic would tell you to put feet up, but I'm a glutton for punishment so went ahead with it in the end.
    To be honest I didn't really enjoy this. My heart wasn't really in it and I don't think I gave 100%. I don't have a turn of foot anymore so struggle with these short sprints..also as I've got weak hamstrings in my mind I'm always telling myself to hold back..Also not sure that this kind of workout is useful for what I'm trying to achieve. Having said all that, I much prefer training in a group than on my own. I'll always push myself that bit extra in a group.
    I tried to record the intervals on my Garmin but gave up after the first couple, its not feasible to do this when you're in the middle of sprint work. Gladly, my legs held up ok.

Normally I take thursday as my rest day in the week, but might take tuesday off instead, or else it will be just a very easy run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Good point about the faster sessions at this stage and what you are aiming to achieve from them. If the main goal is a Spring marathon then perhaps now is a bit too early for the faster stuff, and that miles and Tempo paced runs might be more beneficial at present, with faster VO2Max 'sharpening' coming closer to the event itself? That is the strategy I'm taking myself for Rotterdam, but it would be interesting to hear other people's thoughts on this.
    sb78 wrote: »
    Monday 21/01/13
    I tried to record the intervals on my Garmin but gave up after the first couple, its not feasible to do this when you're in the middle of sprint work.

Rather than pressing buttons at the start and finish of sprints/intervals, you can usually just log into GC after the run has been uploaded and by going into the Player it should be resonably easy to see the start and finish of intervals by the dramatic change in pace and/or HR. If you hover over these points it will give you the info you require to work out the pace for each segment.

That's if you're bothered of course!!

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Good point about the faster sessions at this stage and what you are aiming to achieve from them. If the main goal is a Spring marathon then perhaps now is a bit too early for the faster stuff, and that miles and Tempo paced runs might be more beneficial at present, with faster VO2Max 'sharpening' coming closer to the event itself? That is the strategy I'm taking myself for Rotterdam, but it would be interesting to hear other people's thoughts on this.

Rather than pressing buttons at the start and finish of sprints/intervals, you can usually just log into GC after the run has been uploaded and by going into the Player it should be resonably easy to see the start and finish of intervals by the dramatic change in pace and/or HR. If you hover over these points it will give you the info you require to work out the pace for each segment.

That's if you're bothered of course!!

thanks al lot for that, I'll certainly try that way of recording next time..seems much simpler..in terms of goals, I'm focusing on 10km races at the moment...once we get into the longer days I'll start thinking about half marathons..I haven't done a marathon since DCM in 2009, I prefer the shorter stuff

Advertisement