Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013: Can I improve??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sb78

Tuesday 05/02/2012
    Easy pace run of 5.17 miles in 39:50. Avg pace per mile: 7:42.
    There was still some snow around when I took off..footpaths were a little bit slippy..!
    Couldn't really get into a rhythm on this run

Wednesday 06/02/2013
    AM: Easy pace run of 4 miles @ 7:38 pace/mile. Wasn't going to do 2 sessions today but as it was such a nice morning I decided to get up early and head out for a run. It felt much better and easier than yesterday.

PM: Group track session.
    1 mile warm up.
    Then 5 intervals: 5 mins @80% pace, 4 mins @85%, 3 mins@90%, 2 mins@95% and 1 min@all out/100% pace.
    In between each interval did a 2 min recovery jog.
    1 mile warm down

Split times (pace/mile): 5:39; 5:31; 5:21; 5:12; 4:45

Sometimes it can be hard to work out what 80%, 85% etc effort of your pace is (on your Garmin), especially if training on your own. I just worked off 2 guys that are quicker than me and tried to stay with them as long as I could. I was happy with my times, I don't think I'd be able to replicate this when training on my own. Again, the advantage of working in a group vs on your own.

That's my last piece of serious work before the Enniscorthy 10km race on Sunday. I feel I'm ready to set a new PB again, fingers crossed..just checked out the route there (see below), first couple of miles seem to be the toughest so will be trying to pace myself properly again. I've done this race twice before but back then I wasn't in the same shape as now.
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/13175898

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

sb78 wrote: »
    Wednesday 06/02/2013
    AM: Easy pace run of 4 miles @ 7:38 pace/mile. Wasn't going to do 2 sessions today but as it was such a nice morning I decided to get up early and head out for a run. It felt much better and easier than yesterday.

PM: Group track session.
    1 mile warm up.
    Then 5 intervals: 5 mins @80% pace, 4 mins @85%, 3 mins@90%, 2 mins@95% and 1 min@all out/100% pace.
    In between each interval did a 2 min recovery jog.
    1 mile warm down

Split times (pace/mile): 5:39; 5:31; 5:21; 5:12; 4:45

Sometimes it can be hard to work out what 80%, 85% etc effort of your pace is (on your Garmin), especially if training on your own. I just worked off 2 guys that are quicker than me and tried to stay with them as long as I could. I was happy with my times, I don't think I'd be able to replicate this when training on my own. Again, the advantage of working in a group vs on your own.

That's my last piece of serious work before the Enniscorthy 10km race on Sunday. I feel I'm ready to set a new PB again, fingers crossed..just checked out the route there (see below), first couple of miles seem to be the toughest so will be trying to pace myself properly again. I've done this race twice before but back then I wasn't in the same shape as now.
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/13175898

Thats a great session, sounds like you are hitting good form.

What time are you aiming for on Sunday. Ill be there, im aiming for sub 40 so 39:59 and ill be happy.

EMPM wrote: »
    Thats a great session, sounds like you are hitting good form.

What time are you aiming for on Sunday. Ill be there, im aiming for sub 40 so 39:59 and ill be happy.

I'll be happy with a PB, mine's around 39:45 so a second under that will do me.
    I'll start off at about 06:30 pace and gradually wind up from there. I think its achievable as long as I don't go out too fast. Its a nice finish so that should help..

Friday 08/02/2013 ran 5.1 miles at easy pace in 39:41. Avg. pace 7:48/mile

Saturday 09/02/203 ran 5 miles at easy pace in 38:50. Avg pace 7:46/mile

I ran both of these in the early morning (7.30am-ish). Not too much else to say about these type of runs.
    Some days I find them a bit boring, but on other days I find them great. Usually if I'm short of time, I don't enjoy these type of runs as much. I just want to get them over with....

I feel all set for tomorrow's 10km race in Enniscorthy, no injury concerns thanksfully. I'm hopeful of beating my PB...

• Advertisement

Sunday 10/02/2013

Slaney Olympic Enniscorthy 10km race.
    Ran 10km in 38:54. Finished in 55th place. Managed to beat PB by about 40 seconds, according to the official times:
    http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/Enniscorthy10km_2013.pdf, so delighted with that.

It sounds as if I easily beat my PB, but I can assure you, I found it anything but easy today...!
    It had been very wet overnight in Wexford, though conditions had slightly improved by race time, with the rain easing off a bit.

Even though I got to the race HQ early, time kind of slipped away. Got chatting to a few people, as you do, and I ended up not leaving enough time to do a proper warm up....

So when the race actually started I found myself having to work a lot harder than I wanted to get up to my planned race pace of 6:30 for first mile. This was in contrast to my last race where I felt I was having to hold myself back from going to hard early in the race. No such problems today! My body just felt a bit stiff and the muscles jarred today. Gradually, I got into the race and I got my pace up. I felt a bit better by halfway, and was on track for the PB, but the real trouble started when the course swung around and back onto the main Enniscorthy-Oulart road (after mile 4). We were now running directly into the breeze. This was right at a point of the race where I needed to up the tempo, but it was really hard work. Even though I was passing people at this point, I was not feeling great inside. I was struggling to keep up to the PB pace. By mile 5 I was starting to feel a bit unwell, but I battled on. Luckily, the downhill finish arrived just in time, and I picked it up a bit for the last half mile or so. So, I was happily surprised to finish under 39 mins.

I didn't feel as comfortable today racing as I did in my last race a few weeks ago. I don't know why really, as my training was good leading up to this event. I think it was the conditions, and maybe not doing a proper warm-up.
    Or maybe I am just at my limit for the moment, and need a more formal training program to improve my times further.

Just a note to say that the course measured a bit short on my Garmin Forerunner 110. I recorded the course as 6.18 miles in length. Now (and I've read this on another thread) it may be that what happened is the GPS watches lose coverage on a small section of the course where there is a steep dip (around mile 3), as I noticed on my Garmin that it started going a bit haywire at this point, as the pace on the screen was wrong. There were also a lot of trees/cover at this point.

Anyway, who cares? its good enough for me and its an official AAI-certified time.

I would have liked to have hung around a bit longer after the race, but had to race home for family duties.
    It was a well organised event overall, with plenty of stewards on duty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Saturday 09/02/203 ran 5 miles at easy pace in 38:50. Avg pace 7:46/mile

Well done on your PB but this was probably not the best run to have the day before ? My 10K time would probably be similar to yours (never did one) but I know myself that I wouldn't feel super fresh if I ran that the day before (but everyone is different). Also the lack of a good warmup is really something you should factor in. Personally I would do like 3 miles at 9 min pace but then again that's personal preference.

rom wrote: »
    Well done on your PB but this was probably not the best run to have the day before ? My 10K time would probably be similar to yours (never did one) but I know myself that I wouldn't feel super fresh if I ran that the day before (but everyone is different). Also the lack of a good warmup is really something you should factor in. Personally I would do like 3 miles at 9 min pace but then again that's personal preference.

Yes, I think it was the lack of a good warm-up that made things feel not-so- easy for me at the start of the race.
    As for the run the day before the race, or not, I don't think it mattered for me. I like to do an easy run the day before race day, just to make sure my legs are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

Well done on your pb, that was a tough course and conditions not ideal, which should make it even more satisfying. I did manage to get under 40min, my time was 40:42.

I also thought is was a great race and one that i would certainly do again.

EMPM wrote: »
    Well done on your pb, that was a tough course and conditions not ideal, which should make it even more satisfying. I did manage to get under 40min, my time was 40:42.

I also thought is was a great race and one that i would certainly do again.

cheers, it was satisfying alright. Hard work though. I guess anytime you set a PB its not meant to be easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Sunday 10/02/2013

Just a note to say that the course measured a bit short on my Garmin Forerunner 110. I recorded the course as 6.18 miles in length. Now (and I've read this on another thread) it may be that what happened is the GPS watches lose coverage on a small section of the course where there is a steep dip (around mile 3), as I noticed on my Garmin that it started going a bit haywire at this point, as the pace on the screen was wrong. There were also a lot of trees/cover at this point.

Well done! My Garmin clocked 9.99 for what its worth. I personally wouldn't have any doubt about the distance or the value of your PB.

druss wrote: »
    Well done! My Garmin clocked 9.99 for what its worth. I personally wouldn't have any doubt about the distance or the value of your PB.

thanks very much, looks like you've got a better Garmin than me!

Summary of last week's training:
    04/02/13 to 10/02/13
    Monday 4th: 1 mile warm up/down. Then 6 x 1km intervals at 6min per mile pace..my km splits were: 6:00, 6:02, 5:52, 6:00, 6:02, and 6:09.

Tues 5th: Easy pace run of 5.17 miles in 39:50. Avg pace per mile: 7:42

Wed 6th AM: Easy pace run of 4 miles @ 7:38 pace/mile
    Wed 6th PM: 1 mile warm up/down.
    Then intervals as follows: 5 mins @80% pace, 4 mins @85%, 3 mins@90%, 2 mins@95% and 1 min@all out/100% pace.
    In between each interval did a 2 min recovery jog. Split times (pace/mile): 5:39; 5:31; 5:21; 5:12; 4:45

Thurs 7th: rest

Friday 8th ran 5.1 miles at easy pace in 39:41. Avg. pace 7:48/mile

Saturday 9th ran 5 miles at easy pace in 38:50. Avg pace 7:46/mile

Sunday 10th: Enniscorthy 10km race: Ran 38:47. Avg pace per mile: 6:16

Total Mileage for week: approx 36 miles.

I weighed myself after the race when I got home and I now weigh 11st10 That's not bad for a chocaholic crisp and sweet addict. This time last year I'd say I was 12st3 or so. I'm still eating as much as ever but probably not as much crap.
    Today I took a break from any form of exercise.
    Allowed myself to eat plenty of junk food and crap to feed my habit.
    Tomorrow back to spartan diet:(

This week will be an easy one.
    I won't race this weekend but maybe next weekend or weekend after.
    There are lots of races in the calendar for March so plenty of choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great racing at the weekend. Very impressive 6x1m on Monday. I'm rather jealous of that!

Great racing at the weekend. Very impressive 6x1m on Monday. I'm rather jealous of that!

cheers, I see your making great strides yourself. Good effort keeping up all the training while on holiday

This has been a crazy week. Although I've manged to get the training done, no time for anything else, especially housekeeping duties.

So far this week:

Monday: Rest day, more due to laziness than anything else. I just couldn't motivate myself to get out the door even for just a recovery run that they advise you do the day after a race.

Tuesday: Ran 5.35 miles in 41:34 at 'easy' pace. Avg pace/mile = 7:46. This was an early morning run. Really enjoyed this one, happy to be back running...Legs felt grand. I am realizing more and more the importance of these kind of runs in your weekly routine. Up until this year, I used to go out running trying to run as fast as I could for every run.
    Crazy Stuff!

Wednesday AM: Ran 4 miles in 30:36 at 'easy' pace. Avg pace/mile = 7:39. This was also done early morning. Plenty of rain around but I also enjoyed getting out and about early. I don't mind running in rain as long as there is no wind (runner's curse)

Wednesday PM: Track session. 1 mile warm up/down. Then 25 x 70 second intervals at 80% effort, with a 20 second recovery jog in between.
    Intervals recorded (pace per mile): 5:48; 5:27; 5:41; 5:58; 5:37; 5:35; 5:51; 5:59; 5:42; 5:35; 5:52; 5:51; 5:48; 6:01; 5:52; 5:40; 6:28; 6:04; 6:04; 5:49. I discarded 5 other records as my Garmin didn't record them properly.
    I didn't run this session properly. Your pace was meant to be constant at 80% but I started way too fast, and I was running at more like 90-95% percent for some of the early intervals. I was trying to keep up with faster guys and as a result, my paces for these intervals were not steady. I was racing rather than running steadily. I'm still not learning the lesson of not to go too fast too early for these group sessions, but at least it hasn't carried across into my races.
    Also I think I under-performed in this session, didn't feel that strong but not surprising given that I had a hard race on Sunday.
    The conditions got really bad for the last few intervals (pouring rain)..raced home and managed to catch a bit of the Champions League...devoured any type of food I could find in the press I was so hungry...:pac:

Thursday 14/02/2013
    Ran 5 miles in 41:54. Avg pace per mile = 8:23..
    Ran this on thursday morning. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't go any fast than recovery pace for the first 3 miles. I probably ran too soon after wednesday night, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to run on thursday evening, being valentine's day and all that...

Friday 15/02/2013
    Ran 9 miles in 60:11. Avg pace per mile = 6:47. Tempo pace. Pace injections of 10 seconds per mile, starting at 7:30 pace.
    Here are my splits: 7:21, 7:17, 6:59, 6:54, 6:48, 6:38, 6:27, 6:18, 6:22
    I am slowly increasing my weekly mileage, and I might do a half marathon in March or April. So my goal for this run was to build up stamina with a view to doing such longer races in the coming months. Also, I wanted to try and finish the run strongly, so that it would help in race scenarios.
    I set out to do 10 miles, but only managed 9 in the end. I had planned this 10 mile route with a view to getting the slower miles out of the way where there was more traffic and where it was necessary to cross the road. The first 3 miles are in the town but after that it was countryside until about 8.5 miles.
    Ideal weather conditions as I set out, not a hint of wind out, no excuses today?
    All going well for the first 3 miles, comfortable pace and glad to get the slow miles out of the way in the town. I was feeling fine, no sign of tiredness..I don't think I felt in any way uncomfortable until about mile 7 when I was running at 6:30 pace. Plan was working out well until just towards the end of mile 8 when I was re-entering the town. I was under pressure at this stage but still not what I'd call struggling. A lorry then proceeded to obstruct my side of the road and parked up on the footpath. I had nowhere to go and had to stop completely as there was oncoming traffic so I had to wait to cross the road, and lost a few seconds trying to cross over/get around the lorry. By the time I got going again it had completely upset my pacing and I couldn't get back to where I was. Another few 100 yards down the road and something similar happened again. Also mile 9 was uphill so by now I was struggling to get up to 6:10 pace. The start of mile 10 was also steeply uphill, so I quit in the end after 9 miles...
    Will definitely avoid that part of the route next week when I will try and do 10 miles. Will try and finish on a quiet stretch where you can go all out.
    Still I'm not too down about the run, I know that I can do better and I didn't feel tired at the end...I'm always able to convince myself to stop when mishaps occur...that's the hard thing about doing the longer runs on your own. I think if you were doing this kind of run with a few others, you could take turns to pace every second or third mile. I always find it easier to follow a pace rather than to make my own pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

That is a superb run, great tempo pace.

That is a superb run, great tempo pace.

Hey thanks, was it really? I don't even know if its a proper 'tempo' run as defined by e.g. Daniels, but I feel these kind of runs help me to finish my races stronger..

• Advertisement

Saturday Feb 16th: 5 mile run at recovery pace. Time: 40:29. Avg pace per mile: 8:06
    Got up at 6am..(my wife thinks I'm a bit crazy, maybe not the only one!...)...I need to leave for Dublin for 10am so a bit of a rush this morning. Wanted to get early run out of the way, as Sunday will be a rest day..
    Set off at 7am, still pitch dark...nothing too much inspiring when its this early (before dawn)...still at least it was very mild out...
    I was running at recovery pace for the few first 3 miles, then more like easy pace for the last 2..
    Towards the end of the run, I could definitely feel the effects of yesterday's long run in my joints and knees...glad tomorrow is a rest day

11/02/13 to 17/02/13

Monday 11th: rest

Tues 12th: Ran 5.35 miles in 41:34 at 'easy' pace. Avg pace/mile = 7:46.

Wed 13th AM: Ran 4 miles in 30:36 at 'easy' pace. Avg pace/mile = 7:39.
    Wed 13th PM: 1 mile warm up/down.
    Track session. 1 mile warm up/down. Then 25 x 70 second intervals at 80% effort, with a 20 second recovery jog in between.
    Intervals recorded (pace per mile): 5:48; 5:27; 5:41; 5:58; 5:37; 5:35; 5:51; 5:59; 5:42; 5:35; 5:52; 5:51; 5:48; 6:01; 5:52; 5:40; 6:28; 6:04; 6:04; 5:49

Thurs 14th: Ran 5 miles in 41:54 at recovery pace. Avg pace per mile = 8:23

Friday 15th: Ran 9 miles in 60:11. Avg pace per mile = 6:47. Tempo pace. Pace injections of 10 seconds per mile, starting at 7:30 pace.
    Mile splits: 7:21, 7:17, 6:59, 6:54, 6:48, 6:38, 6:27, 6:18, 6:22

Saturday 16th: 5 mile run at recovery pace. Time: 40:29. Avg pace per mile: 8:06

Sunday 17th: rest. Not really what you'd call a normal rest day. More like a wasted day.
    I was pretty hungover after 1 or 2 drinks too many on saturday night.

Total Mileage for week: approx 33 miles. Less mileage this week with 2 rest days taken following last week's race.
    Possibly ready to race again in another 1-2 weeks, probably stick to 10km race distance for now, before stepping up in distance by April.
    These are just rough goals in my head as I write this, not set in stone..

Monday 18/02/2013
    AM: Done 5 mile run in 41:16. Recovery pace . Avg pace per mile = 8:15.
    Got up early to do this run, didn't expect to enjoy this run and that's exactly what transpired, even though it was meant to be a gentle run. Body did not feel like it got enough sleep and still hungover. I could only manage recovery pace.
    The recovery process from drink now takes me at least 2 days. I drink very infrequently these days (maybe once a month) but part of my problem is that I can't seem to stop at just 1-2 drinks, hence I am always suffering for the following few days...I wish I could say I'm learning as I get older......

Monday 18/02/2013
    PM
    Group track session. 1 mile warm up/down.
    Then 6 x 800 metres at 5k pace.

Not sure why I decided to do a second session on monday, maybe to punish myself for over-indulgence on Sat. Also, I had missed the last few of these monday track sessions, so wanted to go and see what they were at now.
    It actually went better than expected, I started off slow for the first few splits, a bit nervous of going too hard in case I spewed my guts up, but actually it wasnt too bad in the end - I felt as if the recovery was starting to kick in a bit...mind you, I wasn't anywhere near 100%...
    I could only record 3 of the 800 metre splits on my Garmin due to GPS signal issue, splits mile pace were 6:30, 5:39, and 5:32...

Tuesday 19/02/2013
    Ran 5 miles at easy pace in 39:09. Avg pace per mile: 7:49
    Couldn't get up this morning to do an early run, so ran this after work. I was a bit sluggish for the first 2 miles. I tried to increase the pace slightly for the last 3 miles. I hope tomorrow to be fully recovered. The curse of alcohol!

I have not been able to post here for a few days. Work has been mental but I still managed to find the time to keep up the running...it keeps me sane.
    Below I log the remainder of last weeks runs:

Wed 20/02/2013
    AM ran 5.02 miles easy pace in 39:15. Avg pace per mile = 7:49.

PM track session. Ran 10 x 400m intervals at 85% pace, with a 100m recovery jog...warm up/down of 1 mile..
    recorded paces (per mile): 5:42, 5:20, 5:31, 5:11, 5:32, 5:01, 5:13, 5:12, 5:42, 5:20
    I made a conscious effort of not starting these intervals too hard, to leave a bit in the tank for the remaining intervals. I achieved that to an extent, as I was starting to pass guys out on the later intervals that had previously been ahead of me. It was very difficult to keep a constant pace as it was quite windy, the wind was directly in your face on the home straight. I found the last 2 intervals very tough. Happy enough with it...

Thursday 21/02/2013: Rest Day

Friday: 22/02/2013 Ran 5.08 miles easy pace in 39:03. Avg pace per mile = 7:41. Did this run after work. Felt tired throughout, even after taking a rest day on Thursday. Too much work and not enough hours of sleep......

Saturday: 23/02/2013
    Long Run of 10 miles at tempo pace. Time: 1hour 7mins:37. Avg Pace per mile = 6.45.
    Mile splits: 7:33, 7:09, 7:05, 6:57, 6:42, 6:38, 6:27, 6:17, 6:22, 6:20
    Another busy Saturday was in store for me so I woke at 6am, went down to the kitchen and prepared my smoothie and some strong coffee. I had planned to do a long run this morning of 10 miles. I had a hunch that I wasn't in the best of shape for running this morning, as I had had a hard week in work, and I found myself up too late each night sadly doing work related stuff, and not getting enough quality hours of sleep. I know from experience that if you're not getting enough sleep, it affects your running, especially longer runs..
    I didn't start the run until about 8am, to give brekkie time to digest and also I did a good warm up plus stretching.
    Aim of the run was to run negative splits, starting off at 7:30 pace/mile. Every 1.5 miles I tried to increase the pace by 15 seconds, so start at 7:30 for 1.5 miles, then 7:15 pace up to mile 3 and so on.....
    Even during the early 'slow' miles, I just wasn't feeling 100%...every time I had to change gears to move up to the next level of pace, I felt I was having to work at a much higher intensity of running than I normally would. This meant that my economy of running was not great. I was punch drunk and all at sea by the start of mile 9 and I couldn't go any faster than 6:20 pace, or else I would have thrown up brekkie. So instead of trying to increase the pace again for the next tempo, I just kept going at the same pace, or slightly slower...
    I think under the circumstances it was a good enough effort..
    I can come up with a few reasons for not feeling at my best: not enough sleep, tough week in work, also heavy weekend last weekend...also not sure if it is a good idea to do the longer runs this early in the morning, but since I had a busy day ahead of me, I had no choice but to do it early.
    Another thing, I felt a bit of a re-flux throughout the run, I've got this before with drinking coffee before running. Also I probably didn't give the breakfast long enough to digest, so next week will try and start the run a bit later...

Sunday 24/02/2013 Ran 5.66 miles easy pace in 41:50. Avg pace per mile = 7:24. Felt surprisingly better than expected...legs felt ok despite yesterdays long run..I added in 7 of Jack Daniel's "strides" halfway through this easy paced run. I find these easy runs to be quite boring at times, so I think the strides help to keep the interest level..

I finished reading Jack Daniel's Running Formula book today. Once you get past the first couple of tricky technical chapters, and get your head around the technical side of running, it becomes an enjoyable read. The most important point I got from the book is how I think about my running now. Every run I do now has a goal and I know why I'm doing it whereas before I didn't really think about it as I set off, it was more like "today I'm going to run half an hour, tomorrow an hour", but at what pace/intensity??? I didn't know how to speed train until the past year...

I have never followed a formal running program before, so my problem now is at what point do I "jump into" one of Daniel's programs. The way he designed his programs, it seems like it would be easier to start them after taking a break from running, but this isn't what I want to do at the moment. I'm injury free and obviously I have a good base of fitness. I am thinking of following his 5-15k programs but I guess you have to tweak it to suit your own needs...

18/02/13 to 14/02/13

Monday 18th: AM: 5 mile run in 41:16 @ recovery pace . Avg pace per mile = 8:15.
    PM: Group track session. 1 mile warm up/down. Then 6 x 800 metres at 5k pace. Recorded paces (per mile): 6:30, 5:39, and 5:32

Tues 19th: 5 miles at easy pace in 39:09. Avg pace per mile: 7:49

Wed 20th AM ran 5.02 miles easy pace in 39:15. Avg pace per mile = 7:49.
    PM track session. Ran 10 x 400m intervals at 85% pace, with a 100m recovery jog...warm up/down of 1 mile..
    recorded paces (per mile): 5:42, 5:20, 5:31, 5:11, 5:32, 5:01, 5:13, 5:12, 5:42, 5:2

Thurs 14th: Ran 5 miles in 41:54 at recovery pace. Avg pace per mile = 8:23

Friday 15th: Ran 9 miles in 60:11. Avg pace per mile = 6:47. Tempo pace. Pace injections of 10 seconds per mile, starting at 7:30 pace.
    Mile splits: 7:21, 7:17, 6:59, 6:54, 6:48, 6:38, 6:27, 6:18, 6:22

Saturday 16th: 5 mile run at recovery pace. Time: 40:29. Avg pace per mile: 8:06

Sunday 17th: rest. Not really what you'd call a normal rest day. More like a wasted day.
    I was pretty hungover after 1 or 2 drinks too many on saturday night.

Total Mileage for week: approx 33 miles. Less mileage this week with 2 rest days taken following last week's race.
    Possibly ready to race again in another 1-2 weeks, probably stick to 10km race distance for now, before stepping up in distance by April.
    These are just rough goals in my head as I write this, not set in stone..

18/02/13 to 24/02/13

Monday 18th: AM 5 mile run in 41:16 @Recovery pace. Avg pace per mile = 8:15
    Monday 18th: PM Group track session. 1 mile warm up/down.Then 6 x 800 metres at 5k pace. Recorded intervals (mile pace) were 6:30, 5:39, and 5:32

Tues 19th: 5 miles at easy pace in 39:09. Avg pace per mile: 7:49

Wed 20th AM: 5.02 miles easy pace in 39:15. Avg pace per mile = 7:49.
    Wed 20th PM:PM track session. Ran 10 x 400m intervals at 85% pace, with a 100m recovery jog...warm up/down of 1 mile..
    recorded paces (per mile): 5:42, 5:20, 5:31, 5:11, 5:32, 5:01, 5:13, 5:12, 5:42, 5:20

Thurs 21st: rest

Friday 22nd: Ran 5.08 miles easy pace in 39:03. Avg pace per mile = 7:41.

Saturday 23rd: Long Run of 10 miles at tempo pace. Time: 1:07:37. Avg Pace per mile = 6:45.
    Mile splits: 7:33, 7:09, 7:05, 6:57, 6:42, 6:38, 6:27, 6:17, 6:22, 6:20

Sunday 24th: Ran 5.66 miles easy pace in 41:50. Included 7 "strides". Avg pace per mile = 7:24.

Total mileage for the week: 45.5 approx. That's a bit of a jump in mileage from last week so I need to be careful.
    It wasn't a great week's quality training. I felt that only on the wednesday track session was I at my best. The other quality sessions on the monday and Saturday were a struggle.

I've decided that my next race will be a 5k event. This wasn't planned at all but there's a local one on Saturday, and there's nothing else suitable in the calender for the next few weeks, so why not? I've never done a 5k race before, and its only a small race so its an ideal starting point. I expect to find it tough going, and I'll definitely be out of my comfort zone, as I'll have to start at a pace that little bit harder than I'm used to in races.
    Doing this 5k race on Saturday means that I'll have to rearrange my training this week. I probably won't do a long run this week, as it would be stupid to do it on the Thursday or Friday before a race. I might do one on Sunday if the 5k doesn't take a lot out of me.

Monday 25/02/2013
    My Garmin 110 screen went blank tonight when I tried to upload my latest efforts onto Garmin connect, so I'm only guessing here at actual times/distance

TODAY:
    AM Easy paced early morning 5.5 mile run. Included 6 strides half way through. Bitter out this morning and it wasn't until I started doing those strides that I could feel my legs...gloves, woolly hat and leggings all required unfortunately...

PM Group track session: 5 x1000metres at faster than 5k pace. In between each interval, we did a 200m recovery jog.
    I dont have my 1km splits to hand, but I think the first one was at 6min/mile pace, and the other 4 were quicker. I did one 5:40 split.
    I felt really comfortable tonight running these intervals at this pace, I felt like I could have gone harder tonight, whereas last week this was all a struggle to me. Definitely feel like I have improved from last week...

• Advertisement

Tuesday 26/02/2013
    5.1 mile easy pace run in 39:31. Avg pace per mile: 7:45. Run included 6 strides, every half mile, from 2.5 miles onwards...
    Had an awful night's sleep, woke up at 2am and couldn't get back to sleep until 5am. That's the problem with evening training, it can get your heart rate up and for some it can affect their sleep. I wasn't always like this. I used to be able to fall asleep standing up when I was working 12 hour shifts, but I changed job last year and now I'm working less hours. I think I'm more of a cat-napper these days.

The run was hard work, even though it was at easy pace. My leg muscles felt tight and sore, so the 6 strides were not quick bursts of pace, rather just gentle accelerations, as I didn't have the legs...

I am planning 2 sessions tomorrow but will see how I feel. I am taking thursday off.

Advertisement