Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 600d or 550d for video?

Options
  • 14-01-2013 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Looking into both these cameras really not sure which one to go for?

Any advice or experience with these cameras?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Go for the 600D, the flip-out screen is worth every extra penny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I agree. I had both and I found I used the 600d way more because of the flip out screen. The video quality is pretty much identical from both as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Should also consider 650D with STM lenses if budget allows.
    Adds touch to the screen plus the STM lenses are pretty silent when focusing

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

I think the 600d is to have better filming capability from what I've heard - which admittedly isn't much as I'm not a fan of the tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

I'll be using a external sound recorder for audio so a noisy lense doesn't bother me too much also they seem pretty identical when comparing video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

You'll only be using manual focus for video anyway, so it's a non-issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There isn't much in it in physical specs in terms of video. The likes of a 60D is a more robust body with better weather sealing and has a bigger battery (same battery as the likes of the 5D MKII). 650D has a digic 5 processor which may have better noise performance at lower light (550, 600D and 60D are Digic 4)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I've got a 600D and use it for video. The noise performance isn't great, and footage requires a lot of post work to get looking nice IMHO.

Here's this something I shot to test out how long the turnaround actually is when wanting to fully process footage from the 600D.

The footage it's self is pointless but just shows that you can get effectively noise-less images from the camera, and when you work with the right colour profiles there is significant room for colour grading.

edit: Oh yeah the flip out screen is very very handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Auto focus on any hdslr is not that up to scratch or what you might call unreliable, generally shoot manual focus pretty easy to do. As for iso noise its mostly mid tones the higher you get it can look nasty but I always found noise.. tho having said that the 550/600 kit lens is pretty decent. :)

I dont have nay problem with either camera, but if i was going to pick id go after the 550, the reason being is you can fit one of these around it so you can get a good idea what your filming and they do the job.

The flip up screen is an ok thing but for video id rather be able to get my images sharper and suffer some uncomfort then have comfy with not so sharp footage.

Advertisement