Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2013

Options
  • 14-01-2013 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Going to register for this in a couple of weeks.Are many here on board?Did Waterford last year and Im surprised to see theres still no route decided on for 2013, so I think Cork for me this year.Any tips for this one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

Considering it. Probably won't have the training done for Rotterdam so Cork is Plan B. Did the Half in Cork the last couple of years. Any particular queries about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

I've done it the last 2 years - love this race and hope to do it again this year.
    Like Rolex I may not have the training done in time for Boston so this could become my 'spring' focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Rolex_ wrote: »
    Considering it. Probably won't have the training done for Rotterdam so Cork is Plan B. Did the Half in Cork the last couple of years. Any particular queries about it?

Is it a "fast" course?What is the pacing like?Is it advised to stay overnight the night before or is it possible to get parking on the big day?

Is it a "fast" course?What is the pacing like?Is it advised to stay overnight the night before or is it possible to get parking on the big day?

Parking is not a problem. It's a bank holiday Monday and Cork is not particularly busy on that day so no problem parking in the city centre early in the day. Unless I am mistaken you have to collect your race number and chip at the expo in City Hall on the Saturday or Sunday so if you aren't local you will need someone to collect them for you or alternatively stay overnight.

As regards the course, it's neither a "fast" course nor a particularly slow one. The first third of the course and the last 3 or 4 miles are very flat. There is a fair bit of undulation in the middle section without there being any "killer" hills.

As big a factor is the weather - June bank holiday can bring just about anything. Cork City Marathon has had weather varying from wind and torrential rain to 20+ celsius over the last 4 or 5 years (though the last 2 years have enjoyed pretty ideal conditions)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

I was a pacer last year and as far as I can recall, all the pace groups came in bang on.As regards the course, I'd say it's average- there are more difficult and easy courses out there..One major mistake last year though,there was a miscalculation with water supplies on a reasonably hot day, and many were left without for long sections-though in fairness, id imagine it was a once-off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

I'd say it's a relatively quick course - not fast like Rotterdam but IMO quicker than Dublin.
    Had perfect conditions last 2 years.
    No congestion and plenty of water stops.
    Great support at relay changeovers and great atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

I ran as a pacer here last year and hope to do so as well in June.
    Its an enjoyable race, just wish they would hold it on the Sunday of the bank holiday! Should be plenty of Boardsies running though.

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    I ran as a pacer here last year and hope to do so as well in June.
    Its an enjoyable race, just wish they would hold it on the Sunday of the bank holiday! Should be plenty of Boardsies running though.

Pacing the 3:00 group this time, I presume? :D

Pacing the 3:00 group this time, I presume? :D

Ha Ha.

Of Course! ill give Mick Rice a lesson in pacing :rolleyes:

Sky channell 144 if your staying up for a while! James Cracknell running across Death Valley....

Ha Ha.

Of Course! ill give Mick Rice a lesson in pacing :rolleyes:

Sky channell 144 if your staying up for a while! James Cracknell running across Death Valley....

I'll check it out - if only to remind myself of looking back at Cracknell on Sky Plus hanging on to the coat tails of the (only) 3:00 pacer in VLM 2012....the same pacer whose coat tails I wasn't able to hang on to in the last few miles....

B******D haha

• Advertisement

I'll check it out - if only to remind myself of looking back at Cracknell on Sky Plus hanging on to the coat tails of the (only) 3:00 pacer in VLM 2012....the same pacer whose coat tails I wasn't able to hang on to in the last few miles....

B******D haha

Thought you would be interested alright, I know yere great buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hoping to run this but haven’t registered yet. Ran my first marathon in Dublin last year and finished in 3:57, hoping to aim for around 3:30 in Cork. I ran 10 miles of the course last year as part of a relay time and it was very enjoyable, great support and atmosphere.

While it isn’t a particularly hilly course, I found the Carrigrohane Straight tough last year and I would imagine it is psychologically difficult for those running the full. I saw a lot of people pulling up at that stage last year.

Plus the weather is a slight unknown, while last year was lovely, 2009 was an absolute scorcher, I wasn’t taking part that year but remember feeling very sorry for the runners slogging along in that heat.

From a personal point of view, I dont see the straight rd as a major hurdle. Of course legs will be tired 22/23 miles in but after the ups and downs of the previous few miles it does give the legs something of a breather and you can get some kind of a rhythm back in your running.
    You are only on the straight rd for just over a mile. Much better than the full length of it a few years back.
    The biggest challenge is to focus on yourself and ignore as much as you can what is going on around you with persons pulling up as NCMC mentioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Hope to join you all as a virgin marathon runner in june.
    I've started training and am on course at the moment - but I know I've a few heavy long runs ahead of me before June.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Hope to join you all as a virgin marathon runner in june.
    I've started training and am on course at the moment - but I know I've a few heavy long runs ahead of me before June.

Snap, me too. Roll on June :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Signed up! This is going to be my first sub 4 hour marathon. Hope it's not too hot a day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Signed up! This is going to be my first sub 4 hour marathon. Hope it's not too hot a day!

Hoping for a sub 4hr myself.

I might be a bit optimistic - I haven't been in a "proper" race since the Togher Sports 80m under 10s, in 1977.
    I came third :)

No tri, 5k, 10k, HM anything.
    Straight in no kissing ;)

From a personal point of view, I dont see the straight rd as a major hurdle. Of course legs will be tired 22/23 miles in but after the ups and downs of the previous few miles it does give the legs something of a breather and you can get some kind of a rhythm back in your running.
    You are only on the straight rd for just over a mile. Much better than the full length of it a few years back.
    The biggest challenge is to focus on yourself and ignore as much as you can what is going on around you with persons pulling up as NCMC mentioned.
    I think the straight road feels longer though and the end never seems to get any closer. Plus it’s a bit tedious and the support isn’t great at that stage. While it isn’t physically tough, I think it’s a bit mentally tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Signed up a while back. Hoping for around 3:40 or so and then DCM will be my 3:30 hopefully.

Looking forward to cork and hopefully putting a few more faces to the names.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ncmc wrote: »
    While it isn’t physically tough, I think it’s a bit mentally tough!

Maybe it's just me, but I do tend to find miles 22-24 in a marathon physically tough when I'm racing them!

• Advertisement

Maybe it's just me, but I do tend to find miles 22-24 in a marathon physically tough when I'm racing them!
    Really??? Wierdo :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I got my race number the other day for this. I think I may have been a bit keen signing up. I'm entrant number 4. :o

Beef wrote: »
    I got my race number the other day for this. I think I may have been a bit keen signing up. I'm entrant number 4. :o

Me too. I'm number 79. :o

Beef wrote: »
    scriba wrote: »
    Me too. I'm number 79. :o
    You guys will be up front with the Kenyans with those numbers!

You guys will be up front with the Kenyans

If they can keep up. After much deliberation, I think a sub 2 hr is on the cards. ;) A few miles a day and a bit of 5-a-side, sure it'll be no bother at all.

scriba wrote: »
    If they can keep up. After much deliberation, I think a sub 2 hr is on the cards. ;) A few miles a day and a bit of 5-a-side, sure it'll be no bother at all.

That won't do. You need some GAA to get fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

That won't do. You need some GAA to get fit.

+1 . On a boggy pitch, on a rainy night......very hard to find in ireland though unfortunately:rolleyes:

Are there any Boardsies doing pacing duty in Cork this year?

Are there any Boardsies doing pacing duty in Cork this year?

I haven't been asked if I want to pace again so my guess is that the pacers haven't been selected yet (alternatively, they are blanking me :D )

However, since boardsies generally make up the vast majority of pacers in any Irish marathon I bet that there will indeed be some boardsies doing pacing duty again. ;)

• Advertisement

Yes, dont think pacers have been selected yet. I would also hope to be pacing on the day.

Advertisement