Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Headline currently on RTE News website:

"Mini-marathon to take place in Cork & Dublin"

For those of you who've been doing your long runs should be no bother to you at all now as a mini-marathon is only 10k I think.

Best of luck to everyone running - looks like perfect marathon weather at the moment -cool & overcast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

^^^ grrr, that is my pet peeve, on the news/traffic/sports etc, it's all talk about the mini marathon and Cork barely gets a mention. I'm glad it's only a mini marathon today. I've decided I don't feel like running 26.2 miles...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭pah

Standing around at relay no.2 by silversprings. this is 8.9k iirc. Furthest I've run before is 9 so looking forward to it. Hoping to get under 50 min.

Respect to all you lunatics running the full :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Result are online. Site is a bit slow ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭pah

Cheers. Did the 2nd leg in 53.40. slower than I'd hoped but still happy. SUb 4 hrs for the team of 5.

http://www.precisiontiming.net/result/racetimer?v=%252Fen%252Frace%252Fshow%252F1306%253Flayout%253Dprecision_timing%20

3.58.22. Not bad first time for all of us. Amateur Runners :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

3 hrs 0 mins 18 seconds - FFS!

Somewhat gutted but seeing the funny side too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Great time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I feel your pain! London qualification in the bag though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Jesus, didn't realize 'twas a Board member but I had spotted the time and thought, "Poor bastard, hope he's got sub3 already"

Good run though and very close to even split.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

4.33 hrs was going at 4.15 pace at 16 mile blew up at 19 miles was delighted with it considering I was injured with 6 weeks to go my first and certainly not my last will be back and as a Corkman who lives in Dublin I was proud of my city today, and it's poeple I got through with there help I ran walked the last 5 amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Don't worry about the weather, I bet my bottom dollar it won't be over 20 degrees tomorrow.

:rolleyes: My car's thermometer maxed out at 20, so, I;ll keep my bottom dollar, but it was quite humid out there I felt. It wasn't too bad and it sure could have been worse, but it wasn't entirely ideal either.

Personally, I was more relieved than anything when I crossed the finishing line. I was fighting wave after wave of nausea over the first 10 miles but didn't think a pacer standing at the side of the road puking his guts out would make a good impression on the pacees, so I kept going.

Congratulations everyone, and the people of Cork sure know how to put on a great event!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

4:25:07

Was just glad to get finished after how that felt. Found it incredibly difficult and had to run/walk the last 7 miles. Great to meet some boardsies in the Woodford afterwards but I'm sorry for being so off I was in a daze and didn't feel well at all. I had every intention docjewel of popping back over to say goodbye to you and your family but my stomach had other ideas and I ended up in the bathroom hugging the porcelain telephone... :)

After perking up a bit now though after some food and lots of water. Never doing a June marathon again though! :)
    Cork City can take a bow - absolutely brilliant atmosphere and organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Beef wrote: »

Was just glad to get finished after how that felt. Found it incredibly difficult and had to run/walk the last 7 miles. Great to meet some boardsies in the Woodford afterwards but I'm sorry for being so off I was in a daze and didn't feel well at all. I had every intention docjewel of popping back over to say goodbye to you and your family but my stomach had other ideas and I ended up in the bathroom hugging the porcelain telephone... :)

After perking up a bit now though after some food and lots of water. Never doing a June marathon again though! :)

Next time Beef!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Beef wrote: »

Just when twas your round too ;-)

Good to meet you today C & don't worry we'll meet again ,probably Clonmel half.

Hope you recover soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

What a day! Started out nicely by meeting up with some nervous but 'well trained ;)' boardsie's before the gun. Great to finally meet some of you!
    Managed to hang on to the coat-tails of TFB's group until the final relay point , but blew up at mile 23..it was walk , run, walk run till just before Patrick street
    where i actually sprinted the last 300 meters ( don't know how really? ) and managed to come in just under the 03.19...delighted with that result as looking back now I can see the heat did affect me.
    Great race day, great crowd, well done to all who ran it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Headline currently on RTE News website:

"Mini-marathon to take place in Cork & Dublin"

For those of you who've been doing your long runs should be no bother to you at all now as a mini-marathon is only 10k I think.

Best of luck to everyone running - looks like perfect marathon weather at the moment -cool & overcast

The Journal decided to go with 'marathons' taking place in Dublin and Cork.

Well done to everyone who took part. If that heat was anything like it is here this evening, it must have been a tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Looked like a great day today. I was support crewing- got pretty hot down at the mardyke.

MrsCreosote was doing the half- a number of complaints about the start line facilities and delays etc. Anyone else have a similar experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I did the half today, the one thing I delighted with because I may not have finished in the time I did,was the amount of spectators with jellies and oranges. If any are reading thanks very much for your generosity

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Barty

While I missed my target time today, I want to say a massive Thank You to the two 3:30 pacers, Mark and Tim, you were absolutely brilliant, always supporting everyone around you, giving tips and advice and supporting people that were struggling. My legs cramped up just after mile 21 and I never recovered, but up to that point I really enjoyed the day.

Tim - I didn't find out what happened to you, another 3:30 pacer appeared beside me around mile 19, I hope you're alright though.

Well done to everyone who took part today, to all the supporters and to the organizers.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

A big thank you to the Cork folk for putting on a great show today. The support all along the way from both fellow runners and the crowd was fantastic particularly crossing the last bridge and into Patrick St. Got myself a PB at 3:25:xx but had to wait till I drove back to dublin before I could reward myself with a beer...worth waiting for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

I don't think there could ever be better weather conditions for marathon running than today!

p1749751648-2.jpg

It's taking an awfully long time to upload all my photos (my own personal marathon!) but all should be there when I wake up tomorrow.

All my photos from the Cork Marathon are here

http://www.racepix.com/Cork-Marathon-2013/pictures/893/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Huge congrats Paulie, absolutely nothing to be gutted about, excellent time.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

As someone who has never run a half marathon before, I have to say that yesterday was brilliant. Marvellous people, weather and atmosphere. My only real goal was to finish so I started with the 2:30 group. Almost cried with delight when I passed the 2:00 pacers in the final mile.

I was a little upset with the shuttle buses where ppl who shoved their way to the front were rewarded and manners got me nowhere but apart from that minor issue it was great.

By the way, does anyone know if the half was timed from when you crossed the line, or by when the clock started? My stopwatch had me in at 1:57 but my result shows me at 2:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

Having had time to reflect, although delighted with 4.33 for my first go, 18 weeks prep is not long I maybe should of given myself 20 or 21 weeks in case of injury, I definalty think maybe sub 4 for next year with better training, well done who took part yesterday and well done Cork

Rob! wrote: »

By the way, does anyone know if the half was timed from when you crossed the line, or by when the clock started? My stopwatch had me in at 1:57 but my result shows me at 2:00.

No timing mat at the start apparently, so it was off gun time/when the clock started. I'm not sure why they would do chip timing without a mat at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

MrCreosote wrote: »
    No timing mat at the start apparently, so it was off gun time/when the clock started. I'm not sure why they would do chip timing without a mat at the start.

Because otherwise it be impossible to record every ones time unless a person is there calling out the times when people cross the line

What I'm trying to say is that it's a bit silly to go to all of the trouble and expense of putting in a chip timing system and only doing half the job. Surely the whole point is getting an accurate individual time which needs a start and finish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

MrCreosote wrote: »
    What I'm trying to say is that it's a bit silly to go to all of the trouble and expense of putting in a chip timing system and only doing half the job. Surely the whole point is getting an accurate individual time which needs a start and finish time.

Its very common really. If the field isn't that big, there is no point in doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Its very common really. If the field isn't that big, there is no point in doing it.

It's probably more common in the bigger races that chip timing is offered rather than gun timing only.
    There were 1,700 doing the HM so I think the field was certainly big enough. Also, the entry price is high enough to expect an accurate chip timing system. This is the second time in the past few weeks Precision Timing have delivered less than what I'd expect from them.

FAQ section from here states:
    How will I get an official time for my race?
    Each marathon participant will wear a timing chip. This will automatically log your start and finish time. Your official race time is gun-to-chip but your chip time will also be listed in the results. The race results will be posted on our website shortly after the race finishes.

I know it speaks of marathon participant bu it doesn't mention that the half marathoners would be treated in any way differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Agree with belcarra, for the price and the numbers running just the Half it definitely justified a starting mat for the half.

Not sure if it was precisions call or the marathon organisers call to not do it but it was the wrong choice. With about 1500 running the half it was one of the biggest half marathons in the country.

Advertisement