Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Nice article here on the examiner about when Gary O'Hanlon met eventual winner for the first time on the route.

I'd say Gary must of thought he was hearing things when Bartosz said his PB was 2:17! :D:D

Would love to have seen the look on his face! Nice to see a suprise coming out of nowhere and have someone different win. Phenomenal run by Gary in the last few weeks all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

belcarra wrote: »
    It's probably more common in the bigger races that chip timing is offered rather than gun timing only.
    There were 1,700 doing the HM so I think the field was certainly big enough. Also, the entry price is high enough to expect an accurate chip timing system. This is the second time in the past few weeks Precision Timing have delivered less than what I'd expect from them.

FAQ section from here states:
    How will I get an official time for my race?
    Each marathon participant will wear a timing chip. This will automatically log your start and finish time. Your official race time is gun-to-chip but your chip time will also be listed in the results. The race results will be posted on our website shortly after the race finishes.

I know it speaks of marathon participant bu it doesn't mention that the half marathoners would be treated in any way differently.

Depends what the organizers of Cork half paid for. Precision timing could of done their job correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Depends what the organizers of Cork half paid for. Precision timing could of done their job correctly.

Well they certainly didn't do their job right in Johnstown Bridge!
    But yes, perhaps that wasn't included in the agreement and it may be the CCM organisers issue alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I was at the start of the half and I know that the Start Line Officials (a very experienced crew BTW,) were expecting a mat and were making frantic phone calls about it. Haven't a clue what the they were told in the end but that'll probably all come out later. There was definitely a mat there last year so I can't see why they wouldn't have one ordered.

Re the Bus Chaos: I went back towards City Hall after the start to collect my bike and there were HUNDREDS of people heading that way for the buses. Obviously they all had the same idea to watch the start and then head down. Logistical nightmare I'd imagine and from what I've heard it wasn't helped by the route some buses took.

BTW, from the Link Road to the Church in Mahon via the Borreenmanna Road is 5km. Nice warm up????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

The complaints I heard regarding the start of the half (was supporting myself) were:

-lack of a timing mat
    -delayed start of nearly half an hour without any reasons given. Wasn't too bad given the weather but people were apparently getting twitchy as there was no idea how long the delay would be.
    -lack of sufficient toilets. Usual problem, and difficult with a point-point race, but there were 50% more half marathoners than marathoners, and only a handful of toilets

24 hours later and it's only the timing mat that's still annoying. MrsC was hoping to go sub-2 hours, started well after the 2 hour pacers, and finished ahead of them, and with 1:59 on her clock. But the official/gun time is still over 2 hours. First warning she got of an absence of a mat was when the starter said "start your watches now" as the gun went. It wasn't going to be a PB, so a minor quibble, but I can imagine if someone was close to a PB that it would be very annoying.

Otherwise it sounds like it went great- perfect weather and super support en route!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

This might sound stupid when is best to start training again and what type, I was thinking about trying a run tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭will3001

you probably k now best yourself and it may be determined by what you have coming up..if your feeling tired then go for some stretch's and a light run towards the end of the week but if you feel ok then I would say train away..
    I'm planning a good bit of core work tomorrow and a 10K run at the weekend but my longest planned race is 4m over the next 4-5weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Airtel31 wrote: »
    This might sound stupid when is best to start training again and what type, I was thinking about trying a run tomorrow

You'd be wise not to run tomorrow, or for the next 7 days for that matter if you went 100% at it yesterday. But everyone is different, however that's what I'd recommend. Your body has been through a lot in the last 18 weeks and it needs a mini-break. Rule of thumb is a easy day for every race mile.

So once you have taken a few days off, the following couple of weeks should be recovery and very easy running, say no faster than MP + 1 minute.

But that's just based on my experience. Start back up by doing too much too fast and you could breakdown. Maybe target a race for 4 weeks time to put the marathon training to good use in shorter distances when you are fully recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

** My Review ** Long post warning **

Well, yesterday was my first marathon after avoiding doing a full for a couple of years now. I had always wanted Cork to be my first marathon but I also had hoped that I would go sub 4 for my first attempt also. I guess I had always felt that I would be well capable to go sub 4 given my times at half marathons (1.42 mins) and ten milers (74 mins) etc. I knew though that endurance would be my biggest downfall as I rarely ever do a long runs and my fears were well ad truly realized yesterday.
    So I started my training in March and after only 2 weeks got struck down with foot injury due to new runners I think. This forced me out of training for about a month. When I got back to running, my foot always niggled at me and has only really left in the last two weeks - so upside is that I am now injury free. My training for the marathon was a shambles. I done one 20 mile run, and a half marathon race 4 weeks out. I dont think I ever ran a consistent weeks training probably maxing out at 30 miles one week which included a 20 mile run. Realistically, I should have not done the marathon off such a poor schedule but as I was paid up I said I would go for it.

RACE:
    I hopped out of bed and had my usual bowl of porridge and a slice of toast. I actually felt quite sick-ish and wasnt very hungry possibly due to nerves, im not sure. By the time I got to the start it was just about ready to kick off. I met a few friends and had a few quick words before the horn went and we were off. My plan was to follow the 4.00 hr pacers but there was too much of a crowd around them so I pushed ahead of them. The weather was warm and humid but overcast which I though was quite nice. I ticked off the first 10 miles nice and handy. I wasnt at all fazed by the pull in the tunnel and I felt strong going up it and out. I got talking to a friend at this point as well and I felt really good going around mahon point. When I got to the turn off down the water front, I saw the pacers were quite close to me. At this point, I felt my legs were getting slightly tired and I felt a tightness in my butt. I often run the marina/waterfront trail and I dont quite like it that much. It felt quite long this time and this was the first time where I had to check my watch to ensure I was staying the pace. I kept telling myself to just knock off the first ten miles, then the second ten and then the race will start. I was mentally preparing myself for the last 6 miles as I knew it was going to be a slugfest. My plan was to stick on the iPod at around mile 20 when the going was getting tough to help give me a lift. As we got around by the sextant pub, I started to realize that we were about to approach the link road and an uphill climb. I was starting to tire now but was still about a minute ahead of the pacers. As we started the climb, I unleashed the iPod. I must say it did give me a lift and urged me forward. After checking my garmin afterwards, I actually picked up the pace slightly on the hills here due to iPod (no revealing what I was listening to :))
    Next we were running through turners cross and up by cash and carry. At this point, I felt even more weary. Again, there was another uphill pull which this time started to really test me. Then, as I just got through this, comes a stepp uphill at around mile 19 i think. I struggled here. My pace had dropped from 9 mins to around 9.45. Eventually, the pacers caught me. As they drew onto me, I tried pushing to keep the pace with them. It felt very hard just to keep up with them. Mentally, it was draining as I knew I had 6 miles or so to go and I couldn't possibly keep up with them. I reached for my last gel and struggled badly to even open it. I downed it but felt no affect from it really. As we made our way to model farm road, I knew it was going to be the hardest thing I ever had to run up. At this point, I have to say overall the Cork marathon is actually a tough course. Mile 17 - 21 are very hard with multiple hills and pulls at a time when you are physically tired. Model farm road was torture. My legs were screaming at me every step I took. I stopped every 500 meters I think to walk. At this point I knew time was no object and I just needed to finish and had 4.15 in the back of my head. Onto the straight road and cramp was well and truly eating into every muscle in my legs. I couldnt run for more than a minute or so before I had to walk again. I stopped for the first time in the race to stretch my legs against the railings. I started back running but my calf and tight locked up which forced me to walk again. A nice man, tried to encourage me on as I ran slowly next to him. He urged me forward and I wish I could have responded to him but the legs just wouldnt stop cramping. I had to walk. It was pretty much a run/walk strategy all the way to Patricks bridge, when I jogged across the line. Im quite dissapointed that I didnt take in the atmosphere at the finish as I was too busy concentrating on not falling over with cramp.

I ended up with a finish time of 4.13 which I am actually quite happy about. I didnt respect the distance of the marathon and paid with my legs :)

I look forward to Dublin marathon 2013 but even more so, following P&D marathon plan over the next few months and will never be so unprepared for such a gruelling race again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I've done all 3 events down in Cork and the problem is that the marathon is the lowest of the 3 events in number so they have tried in the past to juggle things around but can't manage it as you can't have 3 masters.

The year i did the half, we were hanging around for ages (11.30) waiting for a gap in the marathon to start. And we had a starting mat - how they didn't have one yesterday is a joke though. I think the course is quite a fast one if my memory is right.

The relay is the money making element but the changeovers are a bit of a mess as people don't pay much attention about where to stand for the changeovers. The problem is that they are trying to get the marathon winner over the line first and that won't happen as yesterday shows. Also the bringing of relay runners to the changeovers will cause further problem as they city is half closed down and traffic is mad.

Last year from memory, the later full people had little water as the relay had taken what was left out.

I think that if they started the full at 9, the relay at 10 and the half at 11 or 11.30, they would stagger the day much better and it would help some of the bottleneck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Cork City Marathon 2013

Background

This was my 9th marathon (1st in Dublin 2010) and 3rd Cork marathon. Steady improvements have me ready to crack 3hrs this year.

Latest marathon was in Boston 7 weeks ago and that resulted in 3:02:16. Originally was going to simply enjoy Cork but having come so close in Boston I was ready to give myself another flogging and flog myself I did.

Took 9 days off after Boston and then basically followed the P&D 6 week between marathons plan.

Ran a 10k PB 2 weeks ago and then had great fun running in the Wicklow Way Relay a week ago - all of which meant I didn't suffer from taper madness in the lead up.

Having not run beyond 18 miles since Boston I wash't sure how the body would hold up. Core and quads have had lingering soreness since but strangely enough don't hurt as much in speed sessions. Had the sniffles in the days before the race but this time I think its hay fever rather than the usual slight cold.

Race Weekend

Headed down with the family to what is now a traditional prep in the Hayfield Manor. Miraculously got 2 full nights sleeps with 3 kids not stirring (one is 3 months and another 19 months).

Got up at 6am for the usual breakfast of porridge, toast, banana and coffee. Helped get the kids ready then Mrs. Yifter drove us down close enough to the start. Had a chat with a club mate before hugs and kisses for the family and I stepped into position alongside the 3hr pacer.

A few mins later and we're off.

KM 1 - 10

Run with the 3hr pace group early on but I'm not feeling too comfortable in the middle of the group. After about 3k I decide to moved just a bit in front of them. I'd planned anyway to make the most of any downhills and maybe relax a bit more on the uphills - that downhill hammering from Boston and the Wicklow Mountains makes me a better downhill runner now - right? Feels warm but thankfully not sunny so happy enough. Take my 1st gel before we head down into the Jack Lynch tunnel.

KM 10 - 20

I'm happy enough aerobically at the pace but the legs do feel a bit dead. I'm managing to stay about 10secs ahead of the 3hr pace group but I am a bit surprised I haven't pulled a bit further ahead. Take gel 2 as we turn onto the walkway before Blackrock Castle. I feel the breeze here has forced me to up the effort to sustain the pace - I'm running alongside a girl and another chap but not entirely happy. I probably lose about 20 seconds off my target pace here but sure that's no biggie - is it?

KM 20 - 30

The 3hr pacer for the 2nd half picks up the job here. I cross halfway in 1:29:37 which is ok-ish but to be honest I was hoping to be there at 1:29:00. I enjoy the part of the course along the pathway but when the new 3hr pacer looms up I cop on and push the effort on a bit more to open up a bit of a gap again. Looking at my Garmin splits thats at about 23k. I settle back into the target pace again about 10 secs again ahead of the 3 hr pacer. I'm getting ready now for the tough section of the course. Take gel 3 along the marina. On the South Link Road I feel like a bit of a tool running the tangents cause there's not many of us and the road is wide but every second counts. Take the short sharp climb up to Turners Cross and start looking forward to seeing the family at 32k. I look over my shoulder and can't see the 3hr pace group so I'm happy.

KM 30 - 40

All of a sudden the 3hr pacer is alongside me. For fup's sake! There was no group because they've all dropped off. Looks like he's cruising and I'm struggling and can't help but think it's easy for him only starting at mile 12! Anyway I stick with him but the effort is beginning to tell. I take my 4th gel at the Lough before drowning myself with a sponge - bit of a mistake - how the hell do they hold so much water? Wave to the family but I'm not in as high spirits as I was here in previous years. I then hammer it down the hill to open up a gap on the pacer again but he catches up with me again as we climb back up towards the Wilton Road. When we hit the Model Farm Road he opens a gap on me but I know that after about 500m we'll be on the downhill again so I'll save my effort. Sure enough I'm back on his shoulder before we get to the last relay changeover point. At this stage the hard part is done and I'm beginning to feel confident but I do have one nagging doubt in my mind. I drive down the hill into the lane on the turn for home in front of him. 5th and final gel goes in.
    Then we hit the Carrigrohane Road and my nagging doubt smacks me. On the weather forecast I had no issue with the temperature but a 15kph breeze from the east bothered me and sure enough it felt like a gale at this stage in the race. The pacer catches me and then passes and I can't keep with him as hard as I try. I felt like I threw in the towel too early in Boston but this time I'm telling the bad devil to fup off and I'm gonna try and hang in for a long as possible. The pacer disappears into the Mardyke so now I don't even have anything in the distance to chase. The mental and physical pain is taking its toll and if there was a shortcut to the finish I would have taken it.

KM 40 - Finish

When I hit the 25 mile marker at the bridge in Fitzgerald Park I look at my watch and I have 8 mins - 8 mins for 1.2 miles - I can do that? Can't I? The mile I can work out but how long does it take to run 0.2 miles - I'm a metric man so I haven't a fuppin clue and certainly not the ability to work it out at this stage! Despite the pain and nausea I try to put the boot down. The dappled shade from the trees has me struggling to make out the path and I feel I could faint or vomit at any point. I then leg it up the quays. Where the fup is the bridge - where's the bridge? Then I see 3 other runners in the distance and I start to give chase and all of a sudden the pace increases for the first time in ages. Why oh why couldn't I have seen them earlier? I have to carefully go past the first lad as he's all over the shop - toast - could easily be me. I finally catch the other 2 at Patrick's Bridge and I feel like I'm flying. I hear the compere asking will we get anybody else in under 3 hours and with that the crowd are roaring like crazy for me. However as I round the turn and finally see the clock I see 3:00:11 on it and I know I've missed it as I hear the compere call out my name. I come to a complete stop one step over the line - 3:00:18 - somebody hangs a medal around me but I'm gutted :(. Finished 43rd overall.

Chat to the family through the wire - go out and meet them in a bit of a daze before going back into the finish area to get a massage. I was happy just to lie down to be honest. Later Mrs. Yifter said I looked atrocious at the finish - she's never seen me look so bad after a race but that's a good thing because it suggests I gave it everything. Still I can't help but feel I could have made up 19 seconds somewhere - I think a lack of focus and effort from Blackrock Castle up a mile after half way is where 20 to 30 seconds were given away cheaply.

I'm sure I'll have another crack in the autumn but I actually fancy doing a bit of mountain running in the next couple of months just to take the focus and stress off the clock if nothing else and to run for pure effort.

Well done to all the other boards runners - especially those tackling the distance for the 1st time.

Fup it anyway :cool:

Garmin Data

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

:mad:Steward at Sextant Pub turning point was infuriating & fvck1ng useless. I was over there to see the leaders pass after I had run the 1st leg (and to run the 4 th leg), only to see a lot of the leading runners with their hands out looking for direction on which way to go at that intersection. The steward was busy chatting to the local RTE crew and looking the other way. I lefy a roar at him finally to wake the fvck up and direct people, it didn't imrrove matters. At least when the mass numbers were running that section they had someone to follow.

Otherwise briliant day albeit quite humid. Cajoled three others from work into doing the relay and they really zipped up the men suits to record a 3:31:36 for 56th place. Medal "ceremony " at work yesterday was a bit of fun. :D

Well done Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Cork City Marathon 2013

Background

This was my 9th marathon (1st in Dublin 2010) and 3rd Cork marathon. Steady improvements have me ready to crack 3hrs this year.

Latest marathon was in Boston 7 weeks ago and that resulted in 3:02:16. Originally was going to simply enjoy Cork but having come so close in Boston I was ready to give myself another flogging and flog myself I did.

Took 9 days off after Boston and then basically followed the P&D 6 week between marathons plan.

Ran a 10k PB 2 weeks ago and then had great fun running in the Wicklow Way Relay a week ago - all of which meant I didn't suffer from taper madness in the lead up.

Having not run beyond 18 miles since Boston I wash't sure how the body would hold up. Core and quads have had lingering soreness since but strangely enough don't hurt as much in speed sessions. Had the sniffles in the days before the race but this time I think its hay fever rather than the usual slight cold.

Race Weekend

Headed down with the family to what is now a traditional prep in the Hayfield Manor. Miraculously got 2 full nights sleeps with 3 kids not stirring (one is 3 months and another 19 months).

Got up at 6am for the usual breakfast of porridge, toast, banana and coffee. Helped get the kids ready then Mrs. Yifter drove us down close enough to the start. Had a chat with a club mate before hugs and kisses for the family and I stepped into position alongside the 3hr pacer.

A few mins later and we're off.

KM 1 - 10

Run with the 3hr pace group early on but I'm not feeling too comfortable in the middle of the group. After about 3k I decide to moved just a bit in front of them. I'd planned anyway to make the most of any downhills and maybe relax a bit more on the uphills - that downhill hammering from Boston and the Wicklow Mountains makes me a better downhill runner now - right? Feels warm but thankfully not sunny so happy enough. Take my 1st gel before we head down into the Jack Lynch tunnel.

KM 10 - 20

I'm happy enough aerobically at the pace but the legs do feel a bit dead. I'm managing to stay about 10secs ahead of the 3hr pace group but I am a bit surprised I haven't pulled a bit further ahead. Take gel 2 as we turn onto the walkway before Blackrock Castle. I feel the breeze here has forced me to up the effort to sustain the pace - I'm running alongside a girl and another chap but not entirely happy. I probably lose about 20 seconds off my target pace here but sure that's no biggie - is it?

KM 20 - 30

The 3hr pacer for the 2nd half picks up the job here. I cross halfway in 1:29:37 which is ok-ish but to be honest I was hoping to be there at 1:29:00. I enjoy the part of the course along the pathway but when the new 3hr pacer looms up I cop on and push the effort on a bit more to open up a bit of a gap again. Looking at my Garmin splits thats at about 23k. I settle back into the target pace again about 10 secs again ahead of the 3 hr pacer. I'm getting ready now for the tough section of the course. Take gel 3 along the marina. On the South Link Road I feel like a bit of a tool running the tangents cause there's not many of us and the road is wide but every second counts. Take the short sharp climb up to Turners Cross and start looking forward to seeing the family at 32k. I look over my shoulder and can't see the 3hr pace group so I'm happy.

KM 30 - 40

All of a sudden the 3hr pacer is alongside me. For fup's sake! There was no group because they've all dropped off. Looks like he's cruising and I'm struggling and can't help but think it's easy for him only starting at mile 12! Anyway I stick with him but the effort is beginning to tell. I take my 4th gel at the Lough before drowning myself with a sponge - bit of a mistake - how the hell do they hold so much water? Wave to the family but I'm not in as high spirits as I was here in previous years. I then hammer it down the hill to open up a gap on the pacer again but he catches up with me again as we climb back up towards the Wilton Road. When we hit the Model Farm Road he opens a gap on me but I know that after about 500m we'll be on the downhill again so I'll save my effort. Sure enough I'm back on his shoulder before we get to the last relay changeover point. At this stage the hard part is done and I'm beginning to feel confident but I do have one nagging doubt in my mind. I drive down the hill into the lane on the turn for home in front of him. 5th and final gel goes in.
    Then we hit the Carrigrohane Road and my nagging doubt smacks me. On the weather forecast I had no issue with the temperature but a 15kph breeze from the east bothered me and sure enough it felt like a gale at this stage in the race. The pacer catches me and then passes and I can't keep with him as hard as I try. I felt like I threw in the towel too early in Boston but this time I'm telling the bad devil to fup off and I'm gonna try and hang in for a long as possible. The pacer disappears into the Mardyke so now I don't even have anything in the distance to chase. The mental and physical pain is taking its toll and if there was a shortcut to the finish I would have taken it.

KM 40 - Finish

When I hit the 25 mile marker at the bridge in Fitzgerald Park I look at my watch and I have 8 mins - 8 mins for 1.2 miles - I can do that? Can't I? The mile I can work out but how long does it take to run 0.2 miles - I'm a metric man so I haven't a fuppin clue and certainly not the ability to work it out at this stage! Despite the pain and nausea I try to put the boot down. The dappled shade from the trees has me struggling to make out the path and I feel I could faint or vomit at any point. I then leg it up the quays. Where the fup is the bridge - where's the bridge? Then I see 3 other runners in the distance and I start to give chase and all of a sudden the pace increases for the first time in ages. Why oh why couldn't I have seen them earlier? I have to carefully go past the first lad as he's all over the shop - toast - could easily be me. I finally catch the other 2 at Patrick's Bridge and I feel like I'm flying. I hear the compere asking will we get anybody else in under 3 hours and with that the crowd are roaring like crazy for me. However as I round the turn and finally see the clock I see 3:00:11 on it and I know I've missed it as I hear the compere call out my name. I come to a complete stop one step over the line - 3:00:18 - somebody hangs a medal around me but I'm gutted :(. Finished 43rd overall.

Chat to the family through the wire - go out and meet them in a bit of a daze before going back into the finish area to get a massage. I was happy just to lie down to be honest. Later Mrs. Yifter said I looked atrocious at the finish - she's never seen me look so bad after a race but that's a good thing because it suggests I gave it everything. Still I can't help but feel I could have made up 19 seconds somewhere - I think a lack of focus and effort from Blackrock Castle up a mile after half way is where 20 to 30 seconds were given away cheaply.

I'm sure I'll have another crack in the autumn but I actually fancy doing a bit of mountain running in the next couple of months just to take the focus and stress off the clock if nothing else and to run for pure effort.

Well done to all the other boards runners - especially those tackling the distance for the 1st time.

Fup it anyway :cool:

Garmin Data

Super run and report. I laughed when you mentioned the sponge - I drowned myself with the first one too, didn't realise they would have that much water in them! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

:rolleyes: Personally, I was more relieved than anything when I crossed the finishing line. I was fighting wave after wave of nausea over the first 10 miles but didn't think a pacer standing at the side of the road puking his guts out would make a good impression on the pacees, so I kept going.

Fair Play for keeping it going Thomas. I turned to you at 5 miles to see how you were doing and you were as white as a sheet. At 9 miles you really did seem to had made your mind up to stop.
    But the sea air on the Blackrock Walkway seems to have done you the world of good and you were soon back on form!

Not sure if there was many boardsies in our pacing group but group outside of Blockic - who incidentally breezed through the race and had enough in the tank to take a 2 mins out of the last 2 miles and end up at 3:12! Onwards and Upwards from there.

Well done to everyone who finished on what was a tough day for running.

My pacing race report for 1:40 in the Half Marathon is over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

Monday was my 5th marathon and 2nd in Cork. Went out too fast (with 3:45 pacers), though not as much so as in Rotterdam in April. I should have been less ambitious, but a PB for both half and 5k and a comfortable 20 miler last month had me feeling a cautiously optimistic.

I started to fade around 30k, though I was still moving well enough. Had to stop with cramp around 38k, and was nearly ploughed by an ambulance, as I rubbed it out. I hope whoever was in it is ok, they didn't too good when I passed them a few minutes before. I got going again, but the other leg cramped a few km later, which meant another stop/walk. Thanks to the lady in black/pink (who was also struggling) for the much needed encouragement!

Anyhow, finished in 4:01, 2 minutes slower than Rotterdam and Cork last year, and almost 20 minutes off my best. The heat obviously doesn't suit me. However I can't complain it was an experience as always and Cork but on a good show again and the t-shirt was much better than last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭pah

Just talking to a guy here in work who did the full. He got a split time for the halfway point so I wonder did precision timing assume the halfway point and the start of the half marathon were the same point?

Not sure about last year but there was definitely a mat at the half-way point in 2011 as well.
    Surprising that CCM Organisers or Precision Timing haven't come out and said something about this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

There was a mat at the start of 2012 1/2 as I remember crossing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Did the half this year

i had done the last relay section a couple of years ago and have done last 3 Ballycottons

all run/walk/run

wanted to get good bit of training done as 13.1 miles would be longest i've ever run

was goin ok in my program up to 8 miles when i got injured. danged hammys

even with physio it took ages to recover before goin again

lost lot of training time but said i'd give it a go on monday with thigh support and help from a friend

got down to start point at 10.20 and was all warmed up only to be told of 10 minute delay. this turned into 30 mins. lack on information very frustrating

plan was to stick with 2.30 pacers and ease myself into a rhytm

started well and was ok through mile 5

heat started to get at me round the lough

was keeping up until model farm

series of inclines was tough esp when that was longest i had continually ran

slowed down to walk just by changeover point

got back running on straight road before necessary pitstop stopped me up again

bunkered down and ran rest of way

finished just before 2.38 but my watch had just under 2.36

missed target by 6 mins but i'll get better next year

pacers were fantastic support. you have to admire ppl running withing themselves to help the likes of me

paying for run with sore legs but def well worth it and might even do another half in few months time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not sure about last year but there was definitely a mat at the half-way point in 2011 as well.
    Surprising that CCM Organisers or Precision Timing haven't come out and said something about this yet.

Was pacing 2:15 last year at the half, I definitely remember a mat at the start...

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

pah wrote: »
    Just talking to a guy here in work who did the full. He got a split time for the halfway point so I wonder did precision timing assume the halfway point and the start of the half marathon were the same point?

If you look at the official results, there are no halfway splits for the marathon runners.

Sorry if my post was a bit confusing.

There was a mat at the Half Start last year and the Half-way point of the full had one in 2011 and this year and most likely had one last year as well. As Pah said above, and others I know have also mentioned, it's possible that the timers mistook the half-way point for the Half Marathon start but given their previous experience I find that unlikely.
    It was a major cock-up but in fairness to the CCM organisers they tend to fix their mistakes in subsequent years and the overall success of the day year after year is reflected in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭pah

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    If you look at the official results, there are no halfway splits for the marathon runners.
    http://www.precisiontiming.net/result/racetimer?v=%252Fen%252Frace%252Fshow%252F1306%253Flayout%253Dprecision_timing%20

Looking at the results i think there is but I'm new to all this?

click on the persons name to get the 1/2 split

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

rom wrote: »
    click on the persons name to get the 1/2 split

Is it just me or do none of the results apear to be working?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

menoscemo wrote: »
    I haven't been able to get into that website and i've been trying since Monday! Thought it was just post race volume at that stage, but there definitely seems to be a problem.

I was onto PT earlier and they advised that the lack of the timing mat at the start of the HM was down to what was/was not requested by the race organisers, i.e. the CCM team's decision.

Also, they mentioned their website is undergoing a bit of construction at the moment and that everything should be back to normal 'shortly'.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

I paced the 1:30 group for the HM - we were very close to the front at the start so we didn’t suffer from the mat being absent. At most we lost 3 or 4 seconds. The delayed start was a real mess up though and personally I think it’s a bit churlish of the marathon organisers not to put their hand up and say “sorry, we screwed up on the mat and the delayed start - we’ll get it right next year”. They get so much else so right on the day that they should have the confidence to admit the two mistakes.

As a pacer you find yourself being asked by the competitors why the start is late and why there was no mat but we were as much in the dark as anyone who entered. To a certain extent you’re out front taking the heat for the ballsup while those who are to blame are not having to face the music.

Apart from those points it was a great day out and a really enjoyable run. We had a grand big crew with us as we came up the Marina through 2 miles and merged with the 4:00 marathon runners. We were able to work through them just fine (with a few warning shouts) and we were lucky that when we caught any formal pacing group it was always on a wider part of the road. We passed the 3:45 crew just before the third relay changeover and the buzz as we hit the relay point was intense. A wave of supporters parted on the road as we came through – Tour de France style - and the cheering was epic.

We had knocked out the first few flatter miles around 6:44 pace which meant we had 30 seconds or so in the bank by the time we hit the hillier middle section of the race. As a result we were able to drop the speed a bit on the climbs up to Turner’s Cross and Ballyphehane Church and that allowed our main nucleus to stay intact. Inevitably the hills took some bit of a toll but we still had around ten or fifteen lads (and one female) with us as we hit the Model Farm Road.

I let everyone know that these were tough drags but that this would be the end of it and by the time we got past the Tennis Village and descended to Inchigaggin we were able to start telling some of the fresher runners to think about moving ahead and look for a sub 1:29 or 1:28 finish. As mentioned, the headwind on the straight road nailed a few more of our posse but we were able to shield the remainder fairly well. We also had the advantage of those few seconds in the bank and were able to drop the speed a bit towards 7:00 pace to ease the way. A lot of full marathoners were suffering on this section and we saw a few either falling or already panned out and receiving attention.

By the time we hit the quays we had passed all the marathon pacing groups apart from 3:15 and 3:00 and had good empty roads to cruise home. The crowds were building and there was a fantastic atmosphere as we hit Patrick’s Bridge. With 30 seconds in the bank we could send everyone on ahead after the bridge and drop back to pick up a few stragglers.

It's amazing what lads can do over the last quarter of a mile when you're shouting at them. "Come on, come on, you won't regret it! You can still make the 1:30!" Runners who might have died away a bit at 11 or 12 miles seem to be so happy to discover that they still have a chance of making the time that they pull out all the stops. The last lad we got home was way back on the bridge when we dropped back towards him but he plain lifted it once he saw it was still on. The crowd were superb though – they’d see the pacer encouraging a particular runner and they'd immediately respond, lifting lads towards the finish line.

Crossed the line in 1:29:45 and enjoyed the wind-down with other runners hanging out at the finish before heading for a very enjoyable pint and sandwich at the Long Valley. What a blast.

I heart Cork Marathon

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    They did work the other day as I checked a few people's half splits.

Advertisement