Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

I'm running my first one got my entry about 3 weeks ago my number is 222 so I might finish in the top 300

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I think I've been roped into doing this as part of a relay, 4-5 of us doing it.

Does anyone know if we all get technical t-shirts for entering? I know you do as an individual alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hi name changed, I was part of a relay team last year and it was cotton t shirts we got. They were fairly rubbish tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

That's poor. The best thing in my opinion about doing such races is getting the t-shirt to train in. It feels like you accomplished something then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Check out the latest post on CCM on the Running in Cork blog, great video of the course which I hadn't seen before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

That's poor. The best thing in my opinion about doing such races is getting the t-shirt to train in. It feels like you accomplished something then.

The (full) marathon shirts of the last two years were absolute top quality, technical shirts.

Yay... I've officially entered! No turning back now :D
    snoopy_happy_dance.jpg

Is it really sad to get excited about running 26.2 miles :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

ncmc wrote: »
    Yay... I've officially entered! No turning back now :D
    snoopy_happy_dance.jpg

Is it really sad to get excited about running 26.2 miles :D:D:D

Most "normal" folk would say yes, your a bit sad but most of them will never have the experience what you will on the day.
    Best of luck with the training!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hi name changed, I was part of a relay team last year and it was cotton t shirts we got. They were fairly rubbish tbh.

I thought the relay tshirts were pretty decent quality, not tech ones admitedly, but have had far, far worse cotton tshirt handed out at races where they have claimed they were tech ones before.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

I'm just wondering about hotels for the event. I plan on going to Cork from Dublin on the train on the Sunday to collect my number and stay overnight and head back Monday evening. Does anybody know if the hotels will let you use their shower facilities or anything like that Monday afternoon? I'd rather not book a hotel for 2 full nights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

gerbear1 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering about hotels for the event. I plan on going to Cork from Dublin on the train on the Sunday to collect my number and stay overnight and head back Monday evening. Does anybody know if the hotels will let you use their shower facilities or anything like that Monday afternoon? I'd rather not book a hotel for 2 full nights!

I stayed in a hostel the first time I did the relay, and when I explained that I was running that afternoon they had no problem with letting me come back for a shower at around 3pm that afternoon. Depends on the hotel though.

Women's t-shirts for the half last year were nice but very small fitting - I had a serious struggle with my size 12 shirt and that is my normal size.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

I stayed in a hostel the first time I did the relay, and when I explained that I was running that afternoon they had no problem with letting me come back for a shower at around 3pm that afternoon. Depends on the hotel though.
    What was the name of the hostel? Was it close to the start line?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Kinlay House - not quite as close as I'd have liked it, but still close enough. Up a steep hill though which is brutal at the end of the race if you've done the full or half.

I'm staying in Issac's reasonably priced aswell, and it's close to the start aswell well looking into it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Hows are everyones plans for this coming along?15 mile lsr last week for me,17mile next week,gonna do 11 above pmp today for a step back..looking forward to this now,really not long to go..just need to sort out accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Hows are everyones plans for this coming along?15 mile lsr last week for me,17mile next week,gonna do 11 above pmp today for a step back..looking forward to this now,really not long to go..just need to sort out accomodation.
    Did my first 20 today Tom. Next week ill include pmp. Really looking forward to it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Half marathon for me. Hopefully I can get the Tuesday off work, nothing like a piss up in Cark :)

Speaking of piss up, where do the boardsies normally head afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Speaking of piss up, where do the boardsies normally head afterwards?

Good call ncmc. At the end of the day, is this not the only reason for running, a guilt free seisiún afterwards! :cool:

Cost of entry increases by €10 to €75 on Monday, so might be an idea to enter today in case you forget over the long weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Cost of entry increases by €10 to €75 on Monday, so might be an idea to enter today in case you forget over the long weekend!

Registered this morning myself, just need to book accomodation now! Really looking forward to it...17 miler this Saturday, the only way is up!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Have a 15 miler tomorrow morning bright and early...Followed by 17 and 20 in the coming weeks...Have spent the last 3 years watching this marathon from the sidelines so I am really looking forward to this...Just hope the training goes to plan...

So is there any boardsies pacing this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

nellocono wrote: »
    Have spent the last 3 years watching this marathon from the sidelines so I am really looking forward to this...Just hope the training goes to plan...

So is there any boardsies pacing this year?

Yes, there should be a few from here pn pacing duties, myself included. We should know more next week in terms of times etc

Good luck with the training, i guess it only 9 weeks or so away.

I've being out with flu for getting back today following Hal Higdon which I should be at the 15 mile, I've missed a 10 and half marathon weeks I wonder should I be giving it extra to make up the mileage or do you just continue with the week that you should be on

Airtel31 wrote: »
    I've being out with flu for getting back today following Hal Higdon which I should be at the 15 mile, I've missed a 10 and half marathon weeks I wonder should I be giving it extra to make up the mileage or do you just continue with the week that you should be on
    How many weeks have you actually missed Airtel? I wouldn’t try and cram any extra miles in to make up for lost runs, that’s a sure way to cause an injury or overdo things. If it were me, I would just pick the training back up where you’re supposed to be, the odd missed run won’t make much of a difference in the scheme of things.

However, I would try and fit in a half marathon or a 10 mile race at some stage. It’s a great indicator of where you are fitness wise and it’s a great dry run for the marathon itself. Where abouts are you based? There’s the Great Island 10 in Cobh on April 21st and the Wexford HM on the same day.

I missed 10 days this included a 10 and 13 mile run, have a half marathon in Galway, on the 24th of April, so should know where I'm at, also the programme says 15 miles this week

Airtel31 wrote: »
    I missed 10 days this included a 10 and 13 mile run, have a half marathon in Galway, on the 24th of April, so should know where I'm at, also the programme says 15 miles this week
    Just pick up the plan at the current week, don't worry about the missed runs, they aren't very significant in the overall plan. It would be different if it was your 20m LSR, but a 10m and a 13m aren't worth adding in extra miles to this week and maybe getting injured. Don't worry that your HM isn't exactly when HH recommends, once it's not too close to the marathon and yours is 6 weeks out so you'll be well recovered

Just pick up the plan at the current week, don't worry about the missed runs, they aren't very significant in the overall plan. It would be different if it was your 20m LSR, but a 10m and a 13m aren't worth adding in extra miles to this week and maybe getting injured. Don't worry that your HM isn't exactly when HH recommends, once it's not too close to the marathon and yours is 6 weeks out so you'll be well recovered

Thanks for the advice Im going to take it handy this week do my runs but not going to kill myself don't need an injury at this stage

Good call Airtel, you may find the going tough this week, having the flu can really knock the stuffing out if you, even after you've started to feel better. Don't panic if it takes you a week to get back into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Good news - Signed up this weekend, less than an hour before the price went up :D
    Bad news - Right hammy issues caused me to miss a run today and maybe tomorrow :(

Looking back at previous plans from last year I did miss several runs due to varoius sprains and niggles, but as ncmc has stated , a few missed runs shouldn't be a cause for worries.

Advertisement