Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

ncmc wrote: »
    Have you any time in mind J or are you just going to see how you feel on the day? Remember, all the cool kids are aiming for 3:40ish ;)

Haha, not decided yet, anything between 3:15-3:45, will see how the legs are the week before, are you dropping a hint? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

blockic wrote: »
    Haha, not decided yet, anything between 3:15-3:45, will see how the legs are the week before, are you dropping a hint? :D
    My hints aren't that subtle :pac: Why do I get the feeling you'll be closer to 3:15 than 3:45.... I reckon when the race atmosphere kicks in, you'll have to force yourself to pull back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

To be perfectly honest I think you guys are nuts. And that's coming from me!

The one and only time I tried to race 2 marathons in quick succession (6 weeks apart) was 4 years ago when I ran Dingle in 3:12 and then blew up at mile 15 in Dublin to limp home in 3:24.

Running marathons in quick succession is fine but racing them both is asking for trouble IMHO.

I was of the same opinion before last year. But if you think about it, you've done a fantastic, race-condition 42k workout as well as plenty training beforehand, so why not use that base?

I do think you're basically right about racing the two. I got away with it but I wouldn't recommend it to all. I suppose I should say I got a nasty flu (and I don't mean a cold!!) soon after the second which laid me low for a while but by then it was December and I had no races or anything planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

That's worryingly funny :eek:

FWIW last year I did:

Rotterdam in 3:25 (ran easy)
    Cork in 3:14 (7 weeks later raced it with the assistance of TFB and his balloon)

Dingle in 3:18 (10 miles easy with last 16 at target Dub pace)
    Dublin in 3:06 (8 weeks later raced it)

Couldn't run for 6 weeks after Dublin.

This year:

Boston 3:02 (raced it)
    Cork ? (7 weeks later - currently feel like having a lash)

We'll see what happens assuming I get to the start line healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Itziger wrote: »
    I was of the same opinion before last year. But if you think about it, you've done a fantastic, race-condition 42k workout as well as plenty training beforehand, so why not use that base?

I do think you're basically right about racing the two. I got away with it but I wouldn't recommend it to all. I suppose I should say I got a nasty flu (and I don't mean a cold!!) soon after the second which laid me low for a while but by then it was December and I had no races or anything planned.

Well I'm living that dream so to speak at the moment, ran the Conn Ultra, followed two weeks later by a marathon in Leipzig and will be running the Belfast marathon next Monday which is two weeks later again. I felt grand in Leipzig but must admit I've been fairly tired since & am currently on my 2nd dose of cold.

At least once Belfast is done, I don't plan anything longer than half-marathon distance in the taper for Comrades in June (assuming I make it that far!).

Hope everyone has a great run in Cork, I've run it the last three years so bit sorry to miss it this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Name|Gold Time|Silver Time|Bronze Time
    beef|3:54|3:59:59|don't want to think about it
    ncmc|3:37|3:42|3:44:59
    vinny1313|3:40|3:47|3:54
    PaulieYifter|2:59|2:59|2:59
    jcsmum|3:29|3:29|3:29
    Steroo|3:29|3:39|3:45
    Ecoenergy|3:24|3:27|3:29:59

This can vary quite a bit depending on temperature and winds on the day but fingers crossed.
    I heard mention of the Roundy for after race drinks. Is the loo here not upstairs?? Based on Dublin experience last year, stairs are a major no no.
    Other possibilities might be, Bodega, The Washington Inn, Reardons, The Old Oak. These are the only ones I can think of off hand with a downstairs loo which are rare enough in Cork City but maybe someone can recommend a few more.

Ecoenergy wrote: »
    This can vary quite a bit depending on temperature and winds on the day but fingers crossed.
    I heard mention of the Roundy for after race drinks. Is the loo here not upstairs?? Based on Dublin experience last year, stairs are a major no no.
    Other possibilities might be, Bodega, The Washington Inn, Reardons, The Old Oak. These are the only ones I can think of off hand with a downstairs loo which are rare enough in Cork City but maybe someone can recommend a few more.
    Having done a bit more research, you're right about the Roundy and also the Raven having upstairs loos so they're both out! The Bodega could be an option as it's good and big, or The Wash is another good suggestion. My suggestion was the Vicarstown Inn on North Main St, but Blockic is being a snob about NM St!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Another thing?! Are ye all heading off to get showered and changed after the race and if ye are - where? I could probably head back to the office on the monahan road for a shower but god knows what time I'd get back into town at.

Beef wrote: »
    Another thing?! Are ye all heading off to get showered and changed after the race and if ye are - where? I could probably head back to the office on the monahan road for a shower but god knows what time I'd get back into town at.
    I refer you to my post here....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84433458&postcount=3734

Badge. Of. Honour!

I don't think anyone will be going home to shower etc, there'll be loads of other runners around, so you won't be the only Stinky Pete :D

Stinky_Pete.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Perfect! :D
    I'll stagger into whatever pub smells worst then. ;)

• Advertisement

A few baby wipes and a can of lyncs and you'll be sorted! :D

Beef wrote: »
    Perfect! :D
    I'll stagger into whatever pub smells worst then. ;)
    blockic wrote: »
    A few baby wipes and a can of lyncs and you'll be sorted! :D
    Absolutely, Cavan mans shower and sure after a couple of drinks, your sense of smell will be gone anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

opus wrote: »
    Well I'm living that dream so to speak at the moment, ran the Conn Ultra, followed two weeks later by a marathon in Leipzig and will be running the Belfast marathon next Monday which is two weeks later again. I felt grand in Leipzig but must admit I've been fairly tired since & am currently on my 2nd dose of cold.

At least once Belfast is done, I don't plan anything longer than half-marathon distance in the taper for Comrades in June (assuming I make it that far!).

Hope everyone has a great run in Cork, I've run it the last three years so bit sorry to miss it this year.

Jesus, Opus, that's way beyond the two quickies though. I notice fellas can go a bit mad after the sub 3 is in the bag. Unless you're a KielyU/Krusty who's aiming for another 20 minutes off, then one direction is the Ultras and another is the multiples. (Goes off to check Opus' Leipzig result)

G'luck in Belfast.

ncmc wrote: »
    Absolutely, Cavan Monaghan mans shower and sure after a couple of drinks, your sense of smell will be gone anyway :pac:

:pac::pac::pac:

Oi! Cut that out... That's like me calling you a Kerry man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Can't find the pack I got in Feb, am I right in saying they sent out numbers with timing chips etc?!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Steroo wrote: »
    Can't find the pack I got in Feb, am I right in saying they sent out numbers with timing chips etc?!

Nope,they just sent out a letter with what your race number will be, that your supposed to bring to registration with you,I'll dig mine out tomorrow & see if there's a contact number or help email address on it.

docjewel wrote: »
    Nope,they just sent out a letter with what your race number will be, that your supposed to bring to registration with you,I'll dig mine out tomorrow & see if there's a contact number or help email address on it.

Thanks doc I just found it under the cutlery drawer! Anti climax :) but best to have it. Now I can sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

scriba|3:35|3:40|3:45

Pending relatively cool conditions. A flash of sunshine and all bets are off!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Tipp man running|3:09|3:12|3:14

Pending relatively cool conditions. A flash of sunshine and all bets are off!

Again weather dependent as I've ran in anything from the beating sun to the pouring rain in this marathon during the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

Anything under 5 hours and I'd be happy I've had nothing but niggling injuries over the last 6 weeks struggling to 15 miles at the moment, it's my first one so just going to enjoy it and aim for a decent time in DCM, but with 4 weeks you'd never know I think adrenaline might get me through

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The one and only time I tried to race 2 marathons in quick succession (6 weeks apart) was 4 years ago when I ran Dingle in 3:12 and then blew up at mile 15 in Dublin to limp home in 3:24.

Running marathons in quick succession is fine but racing them both is asking for trouble IMHO.

When we were beginning training for Rotterdam 2012, we were encouraged to run either Limerick or Cork afterwards and giving both a proper bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Mr.Wiggle|3:15|3:20|3:26

Hopin to beat last years time of 3.26(I think), and would love to beat last years Dublin M's time of 3.16, but they were both run in great weather conditions, so fingers X'd !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Was hoping for something like 3:50 but as of now, with a sore ankle I cannot put weight on for at least a week now, I doubt if I will be fit for it. Might try to downgrade to the half marathon and try to salvage something out of it, but even that looks doubtful at the moment :(

Mr.Wiggle|3:15|3:20|3:26
    docjewel|3:29|3:34|3:39

Feel at the moment that the goal medal time may be just beyond my reach but will still train with that time in mind & might readjust on the day depending on weather etc

murphd77 wrote: »
    Was hoping for something like 3:50 but as of now, with a sore ankle I cannot put weight on for at least a week now, I doubt if I will be fit for it. Might try to downgrade to the half marathon and try to salvage something out of it, but even that looks doubtful at the moment :(

Sorry to hear that Murph,have you had the ankle looked at by a physio or doctor?

docjewel wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Murph,have you had the ankle looked at by a physio or doctor?

Yes, I have. Rest has been ordered but there has been no improvement in a week now. Second visit tomorrow but I'm not feeling too optimistic.

Yes, I have. Rest has been ordered but there has been no improvement in a week now. Second visit tomorrow but I'm not feeling too optimistic.

Ouch!,best of luck tomorrow.I'm assuming if you can't put weight on it your not allowed cycle either,how about swimming just to keep you ticking over?

Let us know how tomorrow goes, if no joy then maybe consider other options... Osteopath etc. I'm out myself with discomfort when I put weight on left leg. Physio tomorrow too.

• Advertisement

Steroo wrote: »
    Let us know how tomorrow goes...

Well seeing that you asked.:rolleyes:

The problem is peroneal tendonitis and might be related to wearing neutral shoes for some of my shorter runs (that's another story, starting with a bad gait analysis a in a very reputable running shop). She was surprised at the lack of improvement over the past week but is hopeful that another week of rest should do it. It is definitely starting to feel less sore, but slowly. Physio made up a temporary orthotic insole to help with the recovery.

Physio agrees with me that Cork marathon wouldn't be a good idea - too many missed long runs and not enough time to make it up. She thinks half marathon might be achievable so I'm going to shoot for that I think. I assume the Cork authorities will permit a downgrade?

The problem with this kind of tendonitis is not being able to push off the ball of the foot so walking (never mind running) any kind of distance is uncomfortable. I can manage fine around the house but that's about it.

Cycling is fine - got out for a quick 20k this morning which felt good.

So there you are - an injury out of the blue, no warning whatsoever. I know all that miserable winter training will stand to me in the long run but it's disappointing. Ah well, the sub-4 will have to wait for DCM.

Advertisement