Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

knipper wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice I'll pass it on to him.
    His plan is to get up at 6 have a bowl of porridge with nuts sultanas and a banana.
    I'll advise him to bring another banana with him and a sports drink and maybe have another with family along the way.
    Hopefully the improved race prep will help make it a more enjoyable run for him.
    I'm no help on the day as I'm doing the half but hopefully I'll see him at the end for a bbq.
    Thanks again.

Porridge is a good choice...and a popular one with a lot of runners. He can bring the banana along as you say. Shouldnt however have a need to carry sports drink. There should be plenty of water stops along the way and he should grab a drink and carry on. Drink depending on the weather conditions but If he drinks enough fluids in the days before he should only have to sip on drinks on the day. Hydration can be overdone also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Quick question, my bro is doing the cork marathon.
    He's quite heavy 5ft9/15stone.
    He has been doing long runs after his sun dinner and bringing a berocca in his bottle with a few jellys.
    Is there something anyone recommends for him to try out nutrition wise before his last long run this weekend.
    He has a 4 hr run sunday before tapering off and aiming to finish the marathon in 5 hrs.
    I'm just worried he's not getting enough nutrition and will suffer accordingly on the day.
    Any advice much appreciated.
    Many thanks

First of all, please, please tell your brother not to do a 4 hour run on Sunday! That would be total madness, it can take a couple of weeks to get over a tough run like that, even on the toughest training plans, a 20 mile run (which I'm guessing is about 4 hours for him if he's aiming for a 5 hour marathon) would be followed the next week with a step back week i.e. a shorter long run. He should do a max run of 10/12 miles this week and even that is pushing it a bit. No run he can do at this stage is going to make the slightest bit of difference to his marathon performance. What is most likely to happen is that he will either be exhausted after a tough run and under perform or worse still, he could end up injured.

I would normally council against trying anything new at this stage, but has he ever tried gels? Maybe he could try one or two on his run on Sunday. They are easier to carry than a banana. If he's trying them for the first time, then the High 5 Isogels are a good brand to start with, they are easiest on the stomach as they contain quite a bit of water. The one issue with them is that they are quite large, so he would need to carry some kind of gel belt. I do know of people who run without gels though, so if he doesn't want to introduce anything new at this stage, he might be ok with water, lucozade, jellies and maybe someone having a banana for him along the route. You can actually buy sports jellies, I think they have more calories than ordinary jellies, but they could be a marketing gimick! I have used them and found them good (til I dropped them all over the road halfway round Dublin City Marathon!). I agree with the porridge suggestion, porridge with sugar and a cup of coffee is my standard pre LSR breakfast. I will have a banana about 90 mins before the race also so I'm not hungry at the start line.

Best of luck to your brother, and best of luck to you in the HM.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

I've used starburst sweets on my LSR and found them great gave an extra bit when I needed it, found the sports drinks made me more thirsty

Airtel31 wrote: »
    I've used starburst sweets on my LSR and found them great gave an extra bit when I needed it, found the sports drinks made me more thirsty
    Do you mean original Starburst in the wrappers? Do you unwrap them in advance :pac:

I find even with the sports jellies that they feel very gummy in my mouth as the race goes on, I find the whole chewing part very difficult! That's were the gels are great, although they are rank, no chewing involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

The original ones I unwrap them put them in sweet bag I don't chew I leave them in my pocket of my shorts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Thanks all again for the advice I'll let him know to leave off the long run this week and keep it short maybe 5 miler instead.
    Lucky I checked in here.
    It's a massive acheivement for him and I just want him to enjoy it as much as you can enjoy a 26mile run!!

Airtel31 wrote: »
    The original ones I unwrap them put them in sweet bag I don't chew I leave them in my pocket of my shorts
    That's mad (and a bit gross) Ted!
    Thanks all again for the advice I'll let him know to leave off the long run this week and keep it short maybe 5 miler instead.
    Lucky I checked in here.
    It's a massive acheivement for him and I just want him to enjoy it as much as you can enjoy a 26mile run!!
    Good call there, there’s a much bigger chance he’ll enjoy it if he goes in to it with fresh legs (and without a Sunday roast sloshing round his stomach!)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

So do we know who the pacers are at this stage?

I am bricking it as its my first marathon and I am hoping togo sub 4 hrs although its probably not in me..

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

nellocono wrote: »
    So do we know who the pacers are at this stage?

I am bricking it as its my first marathon and I am hoping togo sub 4 hrs although its probably not in me..

Yes. names are listed on the website. look under 'race' and you will find the list of pacers there. You have some very experienced pacers at 4hr slot. There is also a pacers stand at the expo in city hall at the weekend if you have questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

The list of 2013 pacers is on the website:

MARATHON
    03:00 Grellan McGrath & Conor Anderson
    03:15 Thomas Bubendorfer & Alan O'Brien
    03:30 Mark Melia, Tim Poullain-Patterson & Paul Daly
    03:45 Brian Ankers & Alan Boon
    04:00 John Desmond & Graham Whittaker
    04:15 Patrick Quinn & Ruthann Sheahan
    04:30 Eamonn Dargan & Tom Enright
    05:00 Jerry Healy & Ger O'Brien

I'm also not going to be able to go sub 4 but I'm going to go out sub 4. :o
    Stupid taper madness. See you at the start line!

• Advertisement

They're all men! How come no female pacers :(

Are most of these guys from boards?

Hello Brian and Alan, my new best friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

ncmc wrote: »
    They're all men! How come no female pacers :(

Are most of these guys from boards?

Hello Brian and Alan, my new best friends!

Looks like the 3hr pacers will be doing a half each! Looking forward to meeting them! :pac:;)

Some are from Boards looking at it, others not. I met Brian last week, lovely guy. You are in good hands ncmc! :)

Also you are being harsh on the 4:15 pacer saying they are all men! :)

blockic wrote: »
    Looks like the 3hr pacers will be doing a half each! Looking forward to meeting them! :pac:;)

Some are from Boards looking at it, others not. I met Brian last week, lovely guy. You are in good hands ncmc! :)

Also you are being harsh on the 4:15 pacer saying they are all men! :)
    I'm so sorry Ruthann! That's what you get for reading threads first thing in the morning!

Are you heading out with the 3hr guys Blockic?

Are you heading out with the 3hr guys Blockic?

I am not! :eek: Taking it handy. Once I don't see the 3:30 guys I'll be happy.

I am not! :eek: Taking it handy. Once I don't see the 3:30 guys I'll be happy.
    That's what I thought, was thinking you'd taken some mad notion to go for a sub 3 :eek:. You'll be able to do 3:30 in your sleep at this stage (that's if you stop messing about on the track for a week and actually rest up a bit :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Serious question now........

Any boardsies around on the Monday night for some post marathon celebrations? Last year there was a good gang of us in the Bodega.

Aimman wrote: »

Any boardsies around on the Monday night for some post marathon celebrations? Last year there was a good gang of us in the Bodega.

I believe the after-party venue has been decided as the Woodford. I'll be aiming to be there at approx 12:30 keeping the seat warm for ya Aimman. :pac:

What's this Monday NIGHT business? I intend to be in the pub by no later than 12:55! And yes, The Woodford is where all the cool kids will be :pac:

What's this Monday NIGHT business? I intend to be in the pub by no later than 12:55! And yes, The Woodford is where all the cool kids will be :pac:

Tuesday booked off work too! :cool:

Tuesday booked off work too! :cool:
    I have to go in on Tuesday :(

Can see that being a productive day :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

No work till Tues nite ! So that means I get to show my fellow boardsie's what 3 pints does to me !!:P:pac:
    Looking forward to meeting all of you!
    Mr.W~

Tuesday off also.
    1 month of no beer colliding with a marathon and lots of beer = crumpled mess.
    A few pints in Cork then a snoozy spin home to get washed and more beer.
    I prob won't be capable of talking by tea time Monday so work on Tuesday was never going to be a runner. :)

Nice one, I'll have to find the Woodford, not sure if I've been in that bar yet. (I only said night time as part of a contractual agreement with drinkaware.ie :D)

Nice one, I'll have to find the Woodford, not sure if I've been in that bar yet. (I only said night time as part of a contractual agreement with drinkaware.ie :D)

It's right next to McDonalds at the top of Patrick Street on Daunt Square. Can't miss it and about a 2min hobble from the finish line!

Can someone confirm if the Woodford has downstairs loos? One of the lads in work thinks they may be upstairs but he's not 100% sure. If that's the case then maybe the Bodega is a better idea?

It's right next to McDonalds at the top of Patrick Street on Daunt Square. Can't miss it and about a 2min hobble from the finish line!

Ah yeah, I know it now. I haven't been barred ... enjoyed a drink in there yet. :D

Ah yeah, I know it now. I haven't been barred ... enjoyed a drink in there yet. :D

This time next week I plan to be ordering at the bar! :D Not sure about the loo's although I'm sure last time I was in there there was one downstairs.

I'll ring them at lunch!

This time next week I plan to be ordering at the bar! :D Not sure about the loo's although I'm sure last time I was in there there was one downstairs.

I'll ring them at lunch!
    Beat ya to it! Just rang them, they have a disabled loo downstairs but the main loos are upstairs. Not sure if legs in bits after running a marathon counts as a disability!

Between drink and everything else I'll be disabled enough for all of us.

• Advertisement

Beat ya to it! Just rang them, they have a disabled loo downstairs but the main loos are upstairs. Not sure if legs in bits after running a marathon counts as a disability!

Ha, think we are fine so!!

Advertisement