Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Beef wrote: »
    Between drink and everything else I'll be disabled enough for all of us.
    blockic wrote: »
    Ha, think we are fine so!!
    Ok, so are we all happy with The Woodford so? Lets be honest, we'll all be so dehydrated, the loos will be a moot point anyway :o

On a totally different topic, a work friend of mine is running the half marathon, does anyone know if there are pacers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

HALF

01:30 Vivian Foley, Martin Leahy & Tony Brennan
    01:40 Dr Ben Gearey, Grellan McGrath & John Coleman
    01:50 Elaine Guinane & Joe Roche
    02:00 Geraldine Sullivan & Maura Regan
    02:15 John Dunphy & Trevor O'Neill
    02:30 Charlie Fearon & Ann Cashman

Oh I knew I had something else to ask. What route are people taking into town on Monday morning and where are ye leaving your cars?
    I'll be coming in the M8 so should I head for the tunnel or go in by tivoli?

HALF

01:30 Vivian Foley, Martin Leahy & Tony Brennan
    01:40 Dr Ben Gearey, Grellan McGrath & John Coleman
    01:50 Elaine Guinane & Joe Roche
    02:00 Geraldine Sullivan & Maura Regan
    02:15 John Dunphy & Trevor O'Neill
    02:30 Charlie Fearon & Ann Cashman
    Cheers for that.... you're full of information today :D

Sher I've practically written off any notion of doing the pile of work gathering up in front of me and I've been staring at the marathon website half the morning so I may as well put it to good use.
    :)

Sher I've practically written off any notion of doing the pile of work gathering up in front of me and I've been staring at the marathon website half the morning so I may as well put it to good use.
    :)
    I warned you that you could just write off work for the week :pac:

Hence why I've been replying on Boards all morning ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

ncmc wrote: »
    Can someone confirm if the Woodford has downstairs loos? One of the lads in work thinks they may be upstairs but he's not 100% sure. If that's the case then maybe the Bodega is a better idea?

Stairs are your friend.......your keeping the muscles active...a gradual warmdown in between drinks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

Hey gang,

Very vain question of me but anybody have images yet of the t-shirts for all stages (full, half and relay)?

And have they improved on the fabric on prior years. Did the full way back in 2010 and the fabric was truly awful, would of suited for scrubbing dishes it was so rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Nidot wrote: »
    And have they improved on the fabric on prior years. Did the full way back in 2010 and the fabric was truly awful, would of suited for scrubbing dishes it was so rough.

Yes, the 2010 t-shirt was made of the worst material I have ever encountered in a running shirt. By contrast 2011 and 2012 were the best ones so far - they clearly have taken feedback seriously!

No idea about this year, but after the last 2 years I'm quite optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭angelIRL

Information for East Cork runners (and spectators!) participating in the Cork City Marathon:

Two rail services are operating to Cork from East Cork on Bank Holiday Monday, 03 June 2013:

- 0730 Cobh to Cork (arr. 0754), serving all stations
    - 0745 Midleton to Cork (arr. 0808), serving all stations

There is free parking at all East Cork railway stations with a carpark.

There is an hourly service operating on routes from Cork to Cobh and to Midleton all day.

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Oh I knew I had something else to ask. What route are people taking into town on Monday morning and where are ye leaving your cars?
    I'll be coming in the M8 so should I head for the tunnel or go in by tivoli?

If I was you I'd come in along Tivoli, along Horgans quay, and take the right turn just before Penrose quay( if you miss that trun just take the next right no bother), and park in Alfred street. Its perfect for getting back out of the city and your 2 minutes from Patricks street.
    Google map it Beef.

BTW, whats the story with the Expo? No mention of one onthe website, so I presume there's none?
    Its always a good time/place to get some cheap gear/gels etc...

• Advertisement

Brilliant - I know the spot, thanks Mr. Wiggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I'm also not going to be able to go sub 4 but I'm going to go out sub 4. :o

You and me both!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

mr.wiggle wrote: »

BTW, whats the story with the Expo? No mention of one onthe website, so I presume there's none?

The Expo will be in City Hall on the Saturday and Sunday along with the race number collection. Not sure what products / events will be there, but there will be a pacer stand at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I'm also not going to be able to go sub 4 but I'm going to go out sub 4. :o

Bit late in the day now for this, but if ye know that sub 4 is not realistic you should not start with the 4hr pacers. You'll only be in for a world of pain in the second half of the marathon.

You'll have a much better experience starting conservatively and pushing on late on if you have something left.

Doing the above could result in you being turned off doing another marathon by having a bad experience. Just a bit of food for thought.

Aimman wrote: »
    The Expo will be in City Hall on the Saturday and Sunday along with the race number collection. Not sure what products / events will be there, but there will be a pacer stand at it.

Will you be gracing the stand with your presence Aimman? :P

I think Beef's training has been very solid so far though and all indications are that he's well on for a sub 4, I reckon he's just got the 'taper heebee jeebies'. You just have to believe in your ability beef and trust the training!

Bit late in the day now for this, but if ye know that sub 4 is not realistic you should not start with the 4hr pacers. You'll only be in for a world of pain in the second half of the marathon.

You'll have a much better experience starting conservatively and pushing on late on if you have something left.

Doing the above could result in you being turned off doing another marathon by having a bad experience. Just a bit of food for thought.

Cheers blockic,
    To be honest I think my training / 1:48 half time does point to sub 4 (all going well). I just meant in my post that the demons are in my head at the moment and sub 4 may as well be sub 3 at this stage. :o

Still feeling a bit rubbish this week though - sore throat and blocked ears. Doctor booked for tomorrow just to see if he can give me something mild to alleviate the symptoms. I fully expect to be right as rain by next Monday.

Cheers blockic,
    To be honest I think my training / 1:48 half time does point to sub 4 (all going well). I just meant in my post that the demons are in my head at the moment and sub 4 may as well be sub 3 at this stage. :o

Still feeling a bit rubbish this week though - sore throat and blocked ears. Doctor booked for tomorrow just to see if he can give me something mild to alleviate the symptoms. I fully expect to be right as rain by next Monday.

Cool, I was just reading that line in isolation! 4hr pacers looks like a good plan off a 1:48 half.

I'm the same with a cough and cold this week. Here's hoping it's gone by the weekend!

Cool, I was just reading that line in isolation! 4hr pacers looks like a good plan off a 1:48 half.

I'm the same with a cough and cold this week. Here's hoping it's gone by the weekend!
    Maybe if you stopped messing around on the track for 5 minutes, you wouldn't feel so crap :mad::pac:

Hope you both feel better by the weekend ;)

Maybe boards is contagious? I've got the same issues and I'm worried about pacing on Monday. On top of that, I haven't been sick for years and now I just cannot handle not feeling healthy.

• Advertisement

Maybe boards is contagious? I've got the same issues and I'm worried about pacing on Monday. On top of that, I haven't been sick for years and now I just cannot handle not feeling healthy.

You wouldnt stand me up would you Thomas? :confused::)

mr.wiggle wrote: »

Mahers Sports and John Buckley sports have always had stands at the expo and should be ok to get Gels there. I see no reason why they wont both be present this year also.

EauRouge79 wrote: »

Might be hopping on ye're bus on Monday for a while lads so make sure ye are all recovered! :)

Might be hopping on ye're bus on Monday for a while lads so make sure ye are all recovered! :)

Good stuff....was getting a bit lonely there for a bit.

Must give John Buckley 5k a go tonight and will hopefully be still standing by tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Will you be gracing the stand with your presence Aimman? :P

Yep, think I have the 5pm shift on the Sunday. :cool:

EauRouge79 wrote: »

I'll do my best - I wouldn't want to miss a date with you! ;)

Surely you don't need pacers at what is jogging pace for you! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Aimman wrote: »
    Yep, think I have the 5pm shift on the Sunday. :cool:

I'm 4-5pm myself.

Getting the 1:00pm train down, arriving into Cork at 3:30pm and straight to Expo.
    Returning to Dublin on the 16:20 train on Monday evening which should allow for a few celebratory pints before i depart!

Surely you don't need pacers at what is jogging pace for you! :confused:

Don't need pacers alright but will be good for some banter on route!! If it gets boring I'll do what you done in Killarney! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

belcarra wrote: »
    I'm 4-5pm myself.

Getting the 1:00pm train down, arriving into Cork at 3:30pm and straight to Expo.
    Returning to Dublin on the 16:20 train on Monday evening which should allow for a few small glasses of wine before i depart!

Fixed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Itziger wrote: »
    Fixed :)

I suppose nothing but Murphys is allowable down there??:rolleyes:

Advertisement