Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Ah, you could have a daycint pint 'a Beamish. But that's for sub 3.20 runners........

What you going for. Or are you pacing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Itziger wrote: »
    Ah, you could have a daycint pint 'a Beamish. But that's for sub 3.20 runners........

What you going for. Or are you pacing?

Pacing the 1:40 Half Marathoners.
    2.5 Weeks to go to Portumna Marathon and a 'daycint' PB hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

belcarra wrote: »
    Pacing the 1:40 Half Marathoners.
    2.5 Weeks to go to Portumna Marathon and a 'daycint' PB hopefully!

Say Hello to Kentucky Pete, he's pacing the 1.30 crowd.

No pressure on the 1.40, no? ;)

Itziger wrote: »
    Say Hello to Kentucky Pete, he's pacing the 1.30 crowd.

No pressure on the 1.40, no? ;)

Not a bother...I hear the other pacer has it all in hand!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Beef wrote: »

I'd take that! Although it's a bit early to be accurate. Looks like it's going to be lovely on Wednesday and Thursday, wish I was off work!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

It's saying on Met eireann that its going to a bit cloudy with sunny spells and mild with a possibity of a bit of drizzle which wouldn't be too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Number collection is sat & sun only?
    Any chance of number collection on Friday? It would be handy for after work collection on Friday, instead of having to travel in again on sat or sun, and again on Monday.
    I think I know the answer but just thinking out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Barty

A question for the pacers on here - if you're the 3:30 pacer, is your intention to cross the line at 3:30 on the start/finish line clock or 3:30 on your chip? As there may be ~1 minute between the start of the marathon and the time when the 3:30 pacer passes the start line then if you're aiming to cross the line at 3:30 on the finishing line clock then your chip time will be 3:29.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Barty wrote: »
    A question for the pacers on here - if you're the 3:30 pacer, is your intention to cross the line at 3:30 on the start/finish line clock or 3:30 on your chip? As there may be ~1 minute between the start of the marathon and the time when the 3:30 pacer passes the start line then if you're aiming to cross the line at 3:30 on the finishing line clock then your chip time will be 3:29.[/quote

Hi Barty. The intention is cross the line just a little under 3:30 on the chip. Pacers will only start their watches as they cross the start line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

I'm looking forward to finally smashing all known logic behind those damn 'online running calculators', particularly the McMillan running calculator, that man is on drugs.
    My half is probably a low 1.40's. Recently done 1.44 on tired legs so would prob knock a few mins off that if I was fresher.

I think this is probably the most accurate calculator I have seen online

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/training-calculators-improvedriegel.php?

It will be interesting to hear how all the sub 4's get on given their half marathon times. I seen a thread on this recently but cant find it now and it showed a huge discrepancy in half times to fulls (obviously due to poor training)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

nellocono wrote: »

It will be interesting to hear how all the sub 4's get on given their half marathon times. I seen a thread on this recently but cant find it now and it showed a huge discrepancy in half times to fulls (obviously due to poor training)

That calcultor is very conservative, perhaps it is really designed for first time marathoners?
    For my first marathon it would have been pretty much spot on, but for subsequent marathons if I had aimed for those times I would have been vastly underperforming...Interesting that it calculates a different time for males and females, I guess statistically women run better marathon times based on their times for shorter distances?

Agree with Meno - I'd say it's about 15 mins too conservative for me at the moment.
    Although Portumna will tell all!!

Ah jaysis I didn't need to see that bloody calculator today!

Edit:

Just looking at the differences:
    Mcmillan
    3:47:17 off the back of a 1:48.
    Riegel
    4:09:29 off the same time.

Now I know that Mcmillan is way too hot for me but Riegel also looks too slow (in terms of ambition). I'm happy enough to go for sub 4 based on falling somewhere in between.

nellocono wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to finally smashing all known logic behind those damn 'online running calculators', particularly the McMillan running calculator, that man is on drugs.
    My half is probably a low 1.40's. Recently done 1.44 on tired legs so would prob knock a few mins off that if I was fresher.

I think this is probably the most accurate calculator I have seen online

I'll not lie, I would be disappointed if those times are accurate, 3hr47 time for a woman off a 1hr43 half? I would hope to knock at least 5 mins off that estimated time. I would say it's even less accurate for a mans time, a fellow boardsie did a half in the same time as me last year, 1hr48 and according to that calculator he would have been aiming for a 4:10 full, he did it in 3:52. I would say they are 10-15 minutes too conservative.

I think online calculators are fine to give you a rough idea, but they are never going to be fully accurate. Very hard to predict how people will perform in a marathon versus a half, especially for those doing their first or second marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

McMillan has been pretty accurate for me:

1:25 half in Meath in March
    3:02 in Boston Marathon in April
    38:46 10k in Maynooth 2 weeks ago

Then again I tend to target what McMillan suggests so its a bit circular.

I do think McMillian is a bit optimistic for marathons until you've done 2 or 3 and have experience to complement the training.

Now I know that Mcmillan is way too hot for me but Riegel also looks too slow (in terms of ambition). I'm happy enough to go for sub 4 based on falling somewhere in between.

I'd suggest going for the sub-4 based on that HM time.
    (Where was the course? Hilly or flat? wet/windy or calm?)

Ultimately with these calculators there can be an overall sense of 'throw enough sh1t at the wall and some of it will stick*'.
    *Just remember though, your wall is still covered in sh1t!;)

It was in Wexford - I don't know how to describe the course... :)
    It was a week after my first 20mile LSR if that would make any difference?

It was in Wexford - I don't know how to describe the course... :)
    It was a week after my first 20mile LSR if that would make any difference?

That must be this year's race back in April where I paced 1:45?
    That was a pretty tough (yet not impossible!:P) course alright so I'd be even more confident of the sub 4!

Ah jaysis I didn't need to see that bloody calculator today!

Edit:

Just looking at the differences:
    Mcmillan
    3:47:17 off the back of a 1:48.
    Riegel
    4:09:29 off the same time.

Wexford was a tough course, it was quite hilly when we all expected it to be flat and it was one of the first warm days of the year when we weren’t used to running in any kind of warmth.

Look, I would avoid all those calculators etc at this stage, all they are going to do is cause confusion and nerves and dent your confidence. Your training has been very solid, you have trained towards a sub 4, your half time indicates a sub 4, you just need to have confidence in yourself and trust your ability and the training! Of course things go wrong and yes, after 21 miles is unknown territory, but chances are, you will be fine and you will achieve your goal with time to spare.

Stop doubting yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Anybody else go for a deep tissue massage recently. I had one this morning it hurt like hell. She found trigger points I didn't even know were there. :eek:

I'm hoping this isn't too close to the race as I think it'll take a couple of days for the legs just to recover from this.

Ecoenergy wrote: »
    Anybody else go for a deep tissue massage recently. I had one this morning it hurt like hell. She found trigger points I didn't even know were there. :eek:

I'm hoping this isn't too close to the race as I think it'll take a couple of days for the legs just to recover from this.
    I had mine on Monday and while it wasn't that painful at the time, I was very sore yesterday from it and even this morning a bit. I had a knot on my left calf and that was really sore after he worked it out, but it seems to be a lot better today. They recommend that you don't run for 24-48 hours after a deep tissue massage, so I haven't been out since. I may go out tonight, or I may even let it go another day, I'll make the call later. I am erring on the side of resting up this week. I also find I bruise very badly after a massage, so if you see a woman with bruised legs on Monday, then it's probably me, come and say hello :pac:

Back from the doc, and I'm not exactly on my death bed. He gave me a weeks prescription for antibiotics and some nasal sprays. I only took 3 days worth of anti-biotics from the chemist as I've no intention of taking them past Friday/Saturday. Doc said 3 days should be fine. Hopefully will be a new man by the morning. :)

ncmc wrote: »
    Wexford was a tough course, it was quite hilly when we all expected it to be flat and it was one of the first warm days of the year when we weren’t used to running in any kind of warmth.

Look, I would avoid all those calculators etc at this stage, all they are going to do is cause confusion and nerves and dent your confidence. Your training has been very solid, you have trained towards a sub 4, your half time indicates a sub 4, you just need to have confidence in yourself and trust your ability and the training! Of course things go wrong and yes, after 21 miles is unknown territory, but chances are, you will be fine and you will achieve your goal with time to spare.

Stop doubting yourself!

Cheers NCMC - my moaning officially stops now. Telling my inner demons to STFU and let whatever's meant to happen, happen. If I don't go sub 4 it's not the end of the world. First marathon is to be enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Back from the doc, and I'm not exactly on my death bed. He gave me a weeks prescription for antibiotics and some nasal sprays. I only took 3 days worth of anti-biotics from the chemist as I've no intention of taking them past Friday/Saturday. Doc said 3 days should be fine. Hopefully will be a new man by the morning. :)

Not sure what that says about the medical profession.

Be careful, Beef. Running while ill is not much fun, and not conducive to good times, or good long term health. Sometimes you have to hold off and put it down to bad luck.

Cheers Murph - tbh I'm not dying with a heavy cold or anything, more lethargic with a cough and stuffy head. I do suffer from sinus infections - especially in hayfever season so the 3 day course of drugs was to keep anything like that at bay and only to be taken if needed.

Feeling a bit better this morning. Defo going to go for a short run tonight to make the most of the good weather.
    Hope everyone else is tapering well and the nerves are not too jangly. Mine are shot! :)

Cheers Murph - tbh I'm not dying with a heavy cold or anything, more lethargic with a cough and stuffy head. I do suffer from sinus infections - especially in hayfever season so the 3 day course of drugs was to keep anything like that at bay and only to be taken if needed.

Feeling a bit better this morning. Defo going to go for a short run tonight to make the most of the good weather.
    Hope everyone else is tapering well and the nerves are not too jangly. Mine are shot! :)
    My husband suffers badly with sinus infections and blocked sinuses, he was at an ENT consultant yesterday and he said the best thing for sinus issues is a sinus wash. You can get them from any chemist and they are about €12 for a starter kit. Brian used it last night and while it is extremely gross :eek: last night was the first night in I don’t know how long that he didn’t snore at the volume of a nearby locomotive train! Might be worth a try over the weekend? I’m sure you’d try anything at this stage!

I'm sure I'm not the only one obsessively checking the forecast (am I the only one repeatedly opening my umbrella indoors though :pac:) It looks like it's going to be a warm one, anything between 16-18 degrees. I have been doing a bit of reading and thought this article was interesting

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/science-of-hot-weather-running/

It has a nifty little calculator about how much you should adjust your goal pace based on the temperature.

I also found the results of the acclimatisation studies interesting. Basically, it takes 15 days to acclimatise to running in the heat, but the biggest improvements are noticed after 5 days. So hopefully the running in the heat of the last week will stand to us and hopefully there will be no repeat of the problems suffered in some of the earlier marathons.

I think the main advice is:
    • Sunscreen
    • Hat
    • Drink loads
    • Electrolyte drinks
    • Pre race cooling (ie pour water on yourself)
    • Look out for the warning signs of sunstroke and slow or stop as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Anybody else getting worried about the weather for Monday? Looks like it's going to be quite warm. :cool: On the plus side, it will make the beer all the more refreshing.

I had to be treated in the first aid tent after DCM for hyperthermia. I don't think I'll have this problem on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck to everyone for Monday, CCM was my first marathon three years ago & I've run it each year since so small bit sorry to miss it this time round.

Hope the race goes well for everyone!

Advertisement