Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Best of luck to everyone the weekend. It looks like a hot one so bring and carry a small sponge, wet it at water stations as its more effective at cooling you down then pouring water over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

They also hand out sponges at about the 18 mile mark. I'm sure that will feel like heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

By the looks of the weather next Monday, I think I may have taken over from the Krusty curse! :eek: The hot weather seems to follow me around for marathons! :rolleyes:

Good news is that all is good if you finish before 1pm! ;) yeah right! Can't see it being 8 degrees at 12pm!

256128.png

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

There'll be some nice shade in the tunnel ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Nearly there now.....for those of you that haven't run the course before there is a mile by mile preview of the full course with photos on the excellent "cork running blog".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good luck to everyone doing this on Monday :D

I'm like a child with ADHD on Christmas Eve today! I predict the amount of productive minutes performed in work today will be in the single figures :D

Isn't it mad how you can be so excited about slogging 26.2 miles in the heat, feeling pain and fatigue like you have never known? And it's not even my first marathon, so I know what's in store and i'm still mentally excited :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Ah it's bloody ridiculous at this stage. I'm looking out over Cork City from the office and I feel like shouting at it, you won't break me you bastard. :D

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

Latest update...getting better :cool:

256245.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Scifo

Just looking for some opinions here on what time I should try for in Cork. My best long run in training was 20 miles at 8 min/mile pace, did a half in Omagh back at the end of March in 1:36 and my most recent race was the Dunboyne 5 miler last Tuesday in 32:30. Longest training run was 22.

My training has gone reasonably well, the usual long run, interval session and longish midweek run and no major injury concerns. What I am worried about is the heat as I always seem to struggle once the temperature goes above 17 and suffered badly before with this in Cork in 2008 (where I had to drop out in the heat) and inBerlin in 2009 where I ran the second half 17 mins slower than the first when the temperature reached 26 by the time I finished.

I’m carrying more weight than I’d like (13st, 5’9’’, not built like a ‘runner’ ;-)) and I haven’t been able to lose weight easily this time around.

My plan was to break 3:30 running 8 min miles, which should be achievable in normal conditions. But I’m conscious of the fact that it’s a race and I should push to the max - but not sure of what I’m capable of nowadays. My marathon pb is 3:04 but that was 6 years ago when I was in far better condition.

I should add that I have an entry for Chicago but not sure if I can afford to go, the plan there would be to run a BQ (sub 3:10) or maybe even try for sub-3 if training went well.

Any thoughts from the wise heads on here - should I go out at 7:45’s and hope I can hang on in the heat in the last 6 miles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/cork/207697/morning-weather-forecast/207697?day=4

seems to change depending on the website. I don't like the bit on this one which says RealFeel 20degC.:eek:

Scifo wrote: »
    What I am worried about is the heat as I always seem to struggle once the temperature goes above 17

Very specific temperature ;)
    My plan was to break 3:30 running 8 min miles, which should be achievable in normal conditions. But I’m conscious of the fact that it’s a race and I should push to the max - but not sure of what I’m capable of nowadays. My marathon pb is 3:04 but that was 6 years ago when I was in far better condition.

I should add that I have an entry for Chicago but not sure if I can afford to go, the plan there would be to run a BQ (sub 3:10) or maybe even try for sub-3 if training went well.

Any thoughts from the wise heads on here - should I go out at 7:45’s and hope I can hang on in the heat in the last 6 miles?

If your plan was to break 3:30 I wouldn't go out at 7:45s. Play the first half conservatively if anything. Stick the the 8 min miles for up to say 15/16 miles or later if you are not feeling it.

If you feel strong at this stage then start looking to push on closer to the 7:45 per mile mark.

Not knowing the full story it's hard to make a call, but you have a much better chance breaking the 3:30 (and then some if you have it in you) by doing the above rather than starting off at 7:45 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck to everyone doing this - hope the weather turns out ok. Looking forward to reading the reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Just looking for some opinions here on what time I should try for in Cork. My best long run in training was 20 miles at 8 min/mile pace, did a half in Omagh back at the end of March in 1:36 and my most recent race was the Dunboyne 5 miler last Tuesday in 32:30. Longest training run was 22.

My training has gone reasonably well, the usual long run, interval session and longish midweek run and no major injury concerns. What I am worried about is the heat as I always seem to struggle once the temperature goes above 17 and suffered badly before with this in Cork in 2008 (where I had to drop out in the heat) and inBerlin in 2009 where I ran the second half 17 mins slower than the first when the temperature reached 26 by the time I finished.

I’m carrying more weight than I’d like (13st, 5’9’’, not built like a ‘runner’ ;-)) and I haven’t been able to lose weight easily this time around.

As just stated its hard to call without the full training record. My initial reaction was around 3hr 25mins would be a good target for you based on your half marathon time. The best way to achieve that time would probably be to go out with the 3.30 pacers (this will discipline you to hold back earlier) and push on later on in the race, all depending how your feeling.

Only you will know what condition your in, you have run faster before so you know what it takes. Cork is a very fair course and if you have anything left the last 5 miles are very fast.

I have similar times to yourself this year (1.35 half in Clonakilty Dec, 32.53 5m in Carrigaline in February & 40.54 10km in April) and I'd like to go under 3.25 on Monday with a step back target of 3.30. I'm I'm hoping that the temp from 9am to 11am won't be too excessive and I'm going to stick with my original plan of 7.45-7.50/ mile from the start and try to run an even pace throughout. Being conservative and going 7.55/mile for the first half would mean having to go 7.43 for the 2nd half to reach 3.25 (2.5min negative split) and the 2nd half is when the sun will be at its hottest.

It's a tough call but I'm hoping the training will pay off and I can maintain the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Just want to wish all here the best of luck this weekend! I'm heading out of the country today so my training for my marathon effort in Waterford will be interrupted a bit but maybe the rest will do me good! I hope you all tear the sh1te out of it and achieve all your goals! I'll be in your boat on June 29th!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Best of luck everyone. I'm coming down from Mullingar to run it.

My second marathon (first was Limerick a month ago).

Does anybody have any recommendations for where to park ?

Redjeep! wrote: »
    Best of luck everyone. I'm coming down from Mullingar to run it.

My second marathon (first was Limerick a month ago).

Does anybody have any recommendations for where to park ?

If you're driving down in the morning then there will be lots of street parking. Just take a look at the route map and avoid getting blocked in. I've parked across river from the bus station for the past few years and I've then been able to drive back out of the city with no impact from the race route afterwards. At the back of Penrose Quay over there is also a good spot. Also don't cut it too late to arrive as the road into Cork closes just after 8am. Best of luck on the day. Very nice race but possibly a little warm

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

If you're driving down in the morning then there will be lots of street parking. Just take a look at the route map and avoid getting blocked in. I've parked across river from the bus station for the past few years and I've then been able to drive back out of the city with no impact from the race route afterwards. At the back of Penrose Quay over there is also a good spot. Also don't cut it too late to arrive as the road into Cork closes just after 8am. Best of luck on the day. Very nice race but possibly a little warm

I'll be staying overnight at Jurys, but had heard the local parking was expensive. A friend told me that he paid €23 last year and I was just trying to make sure that I don't get stung.

Redjeep! wrote: »
    I'll be staying overnight at Jurys, but had heard the local parking was expensive. A friend told me that he paid €23 last year and I was just trying to make sure that I don't get stung.

In the past I haven't paid anything for parking, whether that's correct or not for a bank holiday Monday.

Might be worth ringing Jury's and asking about it.

• Advertisement

Bank holiday Monday is the same as a Sunday. Free street parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Scifo

Thanks for the advice....consensus seems to be to start conservatively and try and pick it up, probably requires running a negative split.....this seems to make sense but I also understand the rationale behind trying to take advantage of the lower temperatures in the morning.....all my best runs have been in the rain, I do not cope at all well in the heat....I might just go with my gut and see how I feel when I wake up on Monday morning....best of luck to everyone running and be safe.....last time I ran tried to run Cork on a hot day back in 2008 I had to pull out after 14 miles as I was dizzy and getting sick and couldn't keep any fluids in....one of only races I've ever failed to finish, but despite the fact that it was definitely the right decision in hindsight, it still gets at me to this day so Monday is about putting that right.....

Go n-éirí and t-ádh libh.....beir bua....

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Revisions, in light of an interrupted training programme.

Name|Gold Time|Silver Time|Bronze Time
    beef|3:54|3:59:59|don't want to think about it
    ncmc|3:37|3:42|3:44:59
    vinny1313|3:40|3:47|3:54
    PaulieYifter|2:59|2:59|2:59
    jcsmum|3:29|3:29|3:29
    Steroo|3:29|3:39|3:45
    Ecoenergy|3:24|3:27|3:29:59
    scriba|3:59:59|3:59:59|Bás
    Tipp man running|3:09|3:12|3:14
    Mr.Wiggle|3:15|3:20|3:26
    docjewel|3:29|3:34|3:39
    outforarun|3:34:59|3:37:59|3:39:59

Heading into the expo later this afternoon, which should crank the excitement up a bit, and I'll hopefully meet the pacers.

scriba wrote: »
    Heading into the expo later this afternoon, which should crank the excitement up a bit, and I'll hopefully meet the pacers.

You'll be in good hands in the 4 hour slot with mr. cork running himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

blockic wrote: »
    You'll be in good hands in the 4 hour slot with mr. cork running himself!

I know, unless he's flahed out from his mammoth information posts over the last few days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭will3001

anyone else think this is bad value

Just picked up me stuff for the cork 1/2 on Monday, for €52 its crap value..a snot green t-shirt that would cost a fiver in LIDL and some shampoo and a bar...its also the worst organised pick up ever...still packing the bags when you get there!!..
    For €10 for the BHAA its by far a better deal...people getting greedy methinks...wont be entering next year

sorry for the buzzkill but its really really annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Will there be gels (namely hi 5) available tomorrow at the expo to buy? Buzzing now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

will3001 wrote: »
    anyone else think this is bad value

Just picked up me stuff for the cork 1/2 on Monday, for €52 its crap value..a snot green t-shirt that would cost a fiver in LIDL and some shampoo and a bar...its also the worst organised pick up ever...still packing the bags when you get there!!..
    For €10 for the BHAA its by far a better deal...people getting greedy methinks...wont be entering next year

sorry for the buzzkill but its really really annoying

Seems odd that you would pay the money for the half marathon and yet complain about value for money based on the 'goody pack' before the race has even taken place? Or were you just interested in the goody pack?
    €52 seems a lot for a HM in fairness but your comments sound like your priorities for value for money were a little skewed...

I think half marathons that are part of a full marathon tend to be more expensive than standalone HM's. I think you're paying for the road closures/gardai etc for the whole race. On the plus side, the atmosphere will be unlike any standalone HM, so that will make it worth the extra money. Off to the expo now, all excited!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭will3001

Its not about the goody bag its about the value and affordability. You can do the Cork-Cobh race for €10 in Oct and its 2 miles longer than the 1/2. The bhaa manage 22 races over the year and they never rob you and you get great value, there is tea and sandwiches provided after all the races and these guys still manage to make a profit.
    What you got for your entry before was at least decent value but its becomming less and less so.
    I ran the Cobh 10 in April and it all goes to charity so I dont buy the story about the expense of road closures etc...The city gets the money back with the thousands of extra visitors that come for the weekend anyway..

Advertisement