Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing tutorial groups

Options
  • 14-01-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Just got my new timetable and I'm down for a tutorial 4-5pm on a Friday.
    The only bus going to my hometown leaves at 3pm and I work at the weekends.
    I was down for a similar slot last semester and I got it changed easily.
    Just wondering, should I email the lecturer asap to request being changed?
    You know, before everyone starts emailing asking ...
    But on the other hand, I've never had this lecturer before so would she find it a little rude?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

I'd say just email her and say 'sorry to email you so soon before the semester starts' - y'know, just be really polite. Explain that the tutorial time means that you can't possibly get home for the weekend via bus, and that you have to get there for work. You could ask them then if you could change the tutorial time, and say you emailed early so that it wouldn't be left until last minute and then become a problem. Just display conscientiousness and the lecturer will not think you're being rude. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Chances are it will be cancelled anyway owing to low attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Usually when that happens I just go to a different one and say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I think I'll email her. Better safe than sorry.
    If she thinks I'm being rude then hopefully she'll have forgotten about it by the time we start.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

Not all lectures cancel as of low attendance. There was one Friday evening lecture I had that had an enrollment of 250 students....An average of 2 turned up to that lecture.

I attended it once and it comprised of myself sitting by the entrance of the Jean Monnett, the other fella sitting at the very top and back cornor, both of us giving odd glances at each other while the lecture babbled on.

The reason for the low attendance was simply because the lecturer was pretty useless. People beyond the first four rows could not hear here and she went into trivial detail for a pretty straight forward module.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Just a heads up a low attenance lec/tut could also have the lecture giving a role call for marks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Whether or not you need to formally arrange a switch depends on how the lecturer plans to use the slot, and how large the class is.

In a small class, there may only be one tutorial slot, and it's not uncommon to see this used as an additional lecture slot, with tutorials being run occasionally as a section of the material is concluded.

If it's a large class and it's being run as an actual tutorial, then you should just be able to switch and say nothing.

Either way, tutorials don't usually run until week 2, so you'd have plenty of time to suss it out when the semester starts.

Advertisement