Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solicitors in limerick

• 14-01-2013 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

hey guys in court next week for a minor traffic offense(no tax) i no im stupid just wondering does anyone know any good solicitors that will stick up for me im not very outspoken

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

hey guys in court next week for a minor traffic offense(no tax) i no im stupid just wondering does anyone know any good solicitors that will stick up for me im not very outspoken

If I were you, I would represent myself. Regardless of whether you have a solicitor or not, you're still going to get fined. The money you will pay for the solicitor could cover the fine you're likely to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Court for no tax?
    Is this not a fixed penalty offence?
    The information here would suggest it is.
    I know that when I was tagged for this it was an €60 fine(I think...Coulda been €80)and no court appearance.
    The norm for a court appearance after ignoring or missing the penalty charge notices seems to be that you pay the outstanding back tax, as well as the current tax period(minimum 3 months) and take a hit for a fine too could be a pricey day out.

As for recommending a Solicitor, I'd say in this fairly simple situation they would be much of a muchness and you could be aswell off without 1 and just speaking to the court yourself and putting the money saved towards the tax/fine.
    But I have good experience's of Julianne Kiely(Ted McCarty's practice)
    There isn't really much that can be offered in way of mitigation in a case like this, as far as the Judge is concerned you either had tax, or didn't.
    Coupled with not clearing the fine when it was just a fixed penalty notice, meaning as far as the Judge is concerned you are adding unnecessary work to the courts.
    There are some good threads on what to expect over on the Motors forum
    But here's an example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

banie01 wrote: »
    Court for no tax?
    Is this not a fixed penalty offence?
    The information here would suggest it is.
    I know that when I was tagged for this it was an €60 fine(I think...Coulda been €80)and no court appearance.
    The norm for a court appearance after ignoring or missing the penalty charge notices seems to be that you pay the outstanding back tax, as well as the current tax period(minimum 3 months) and take a hit for a fine too could be a pricey day out.

As for recommending a Solicitor, I'd say in this fairly simple situation they would be much of a muchness and you could be aswell off without 1 and just speaking to the court yourself and putting the money saved towards the tax/fine.
    But I have good experience's of Julianne Kiely(Ted McCarty's practice)
    There isn't really much that can be offered in way of mitigation in a case like this, as far as the Judge is concerned you either had tax, or didn't.
    Coupled with not clearing the fine when it was just a fixed penalty notice, meaning as far as the Judge is concerned you are adding unnecessary work to the courts.
    There are some good threads on what to expect over on the Motors forum
    But here's an example

cheers for the reply guys i was supposed to have gotten the fine in the post i never received it i wasnt caught at checkpoint so i take it a squad car picked me up i was caught the end of june had an accident in april and theyre was a dispute with the mans insurance company who refused to fix my car i got it back the 21st of june when the issue was revovled only used it twice in this period as u was on holidys the last week of june and i taxed it from the 1of july

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You will find Solicitors in the Court on the day. You can hire them on the spot. Some like to be paid Cash there and then and some have offices where you can call and pay your fee. They get a text then saying you paid and boom you are then represented

Although I'd just represent myself, dress neatly and remark about the amount of Gardai attending court that could be "fighting crime". :rolleyes:

Beer Baron wrote: »
    You will find Solicitors in the Court on the day. You can hire them on the spot. Some like to be paid Cash there and then and some have offices where you can call and pay your fee. They get a text then saying you paid and boom you are then represented

Although I'd just represent myself, dress neatly and remark about the amount of Gardai attending court that could be "fighting crime". :rolleyes:

"fighting crime" ah come on what i did was wrong as well they are entitled to a day out too ;) ah no seriously i dont wanna get smart with any judge,in fact if anything i dont wanna cross him the wrong way the gardai do a good job as well guess ill just be honest and explain my piece and hope i dont get banged up :D

• Advertisement

"fighting crime" ah come on what i did was wrong as well they are entitled to a day out too ;) ah no seriously i dont wanna get smart with any judge,in fact if anything i dont wanna cross him the wrong way the gardai do a good job as well guess ill just be honest and explain my piece and hope i dont get banged up :D

You could have 80+ convictions on your record and still not get jail. Wait till you see some of folks in court.:D :D

You could have 80+ convictions on your record and still not get jail. Wait till you see some of folks in court.:D :D

im actually bricking it :( thoughts are actually giving me migranes and was even at the doc today with high blood pressure he asked what i was stressed about i told him and he said dont worry ive killed no one and be honest and hire someone if i dont have the confidence to speak up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

im actually bricking it :( thoughts are actually giving me migranes and was even at the doc today with high blood pressure he asked what i was stressed about i told him and he said dont worry ive killed no one and be honest and hire someone if i dont have the confidence to speak up

The posters here are right. Don;t worry about it, judge is dealing with this day in, day out. People can't afford to pay it. You'll get a fine and warning to tax your car. Don't bother with a solicitor - waste of money for a case like yours.

How long was the tax out for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

That is the worst piece of advice I have ever seen given on Boards.ie. Are you on a troll?

OP: Should you appear in court without representation, under no circumstances should you mention anything to the judge that is not directly relevant to your case.

That is the worst piece of advice I have ever seen given on Boards.ie. Are you on a troll?

OP: Should you appear in court without representation, under no circumstances should you mention anything to the judge that is not directly relevant to your case.

I'm not suggesting the op say that to the court but in hindsight I agree it does read like that.

Rather I meant the op will see all the Gardai in the court and probably think "they could be out fighting crime" rather than dealing with trivial minor offences like the op says she has.

• Advertisement

I'm not suggesting the op say that to the court but in hindsight I agree it does read like that.

Rather I meant the op will see all the Gardai in the court and probably think "they could be out fighting crime" rather than dealing with trivial minor offences like the op says she has.

I take your point, it did read like that. One other piece of advice.

I didn`t even pull you on the solicitor remark, if there was any further description in that sentence you could have been looking at a defamation case.
    What you said suggests to me that there are solicitors who will accept cash in hand for work.
    It could also suggest that some solicitors hawk for work at the court house and have no place of employment, itinerant, I believe is the word.

Every citizen in the country is both protected by and subject to the Defamation Act 2010.

With respect to the amount of Gardai swarming around the court house: When lots of Gardai are in court that means there are lots of Arresting Officers in court to give evidence against the lots of accused. From that it can be deduced that when not in court the Gardai must be fighting crime.

It`s just information for you and all the readers. Be careful in what you post publicly.

To be fair Brian you are making a lot of assumptions and taking things out of context by saying Hawk, Itinerant and Swarm. None of those I said.

As for defamation. Who is exactly did I defame? The entire legal profession or the Department or justice of the Gardai?

Solicitors who operate in the court on the day will take your case if you ask them. I never said they hawk. You can approacha solicitor on the day and solicit their legal aid on the day. You are the one who said itinerant, not I.

And yes there are a lot of Gardai in the court on any given day. They need to be there as they are the Gardai who might have originally being involved in the case r written the original ticket for the op. I never said swarm. You said that.

And when not in court, what other than "fighting crime" should the Gardai be doing? Surely that is their purpose? To tackle as prosecute people for indiscretions contrary to the laws of this country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Represent yourself and make sure to tell your story regarding the car and accident in full and also that you never received the original fine in the post. You might actually get away with only having to pay the original fine on the ticket or at worst have a larger fine imposed. Depends on the judge and his/her mood.

Worst thing you can do is not show up like I did once to my cost...never again.

Hey Beer Baron,
    I wasn`t trying to trip you up, or accuse you of defaming anybody or bodies.
    I was merely pointing out to you and all the readers to be careful about what you post.
    That is all.

To the OP, Bucks73 is on the ball.
    Generally out of tax for up to one month is not so serious, 2-3 months is serious and over three months the Gardai can impound your car.
    However you mentioned that there was an accident, and it seems to me like the insurance company wouldn`t pay because technically the car was not entitled to be on the road.
    Who is bringing you to court?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

Well, if you genuinely didn't get a fine in the post then maybe you shouldn't be held responsible for the particular purpose of the court appearance.

Maybe you should just simply state that you didn't get a fine in the post, and that if you had you would have duely paid it. Basically you had no knowledge of a fine being due (or maybe even commital of an offence) until you received a notice/summons to appear in court, and therefore failure to pay a fine was not your fault.

The circumstances you outline for having an out of date tax disc could also be seen as understandable, and possibly mitigating, considering the particular nature of the situation you mention.

Ok, you say that you only got your car back on June 21st, so it was not used by you before this date, and that you hardly used it (and maybe then only because you had to) until you taxed it from July 1st when you returned to work, and maybe this was without knowledge that you were already caught without an up to date tax disc. Assuming your car was property taxed at the time of your accident, and it was out of commission since then and that you had no reasonable knowledge or notification regarding the particular nature of the implicated offence, then the situation could be reasonably seen as being fairly innocent, understandable and innocuous in nature. I assume you have details of where the offence was alleged to have been committed, and that it was in a public place.

Maybe you could also very briefly, concisely and succinctly outline your situation in writing beforehand, in your own time and clearly typed out, and then have it handed to the judge - rather than having the burden of trying to properly explain the situation verbally in a court situation.

Considering the particular nature of the situation you outline, and assuming it's genuine, then maybe the most you should be held liable for is the cost of the fine in question. And why should you have to even pay a solicitor (how much, and for what??) for a court appearance that was essentially not your fault, not to mention the needless and unnecessary burden and convenience imposed on you. I'm sure you can clearly see the logic of the situation for yourself, when you properly think about it... Just my passing 2c :) Best of luck!

Advertisement