Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Music to Biology now?

Options
  • 14-01-2013 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello :)

So yeah, I'm in fifth year so it's not as bad, but I really am unhappy in Music and I'm failing it.

To explain, I don't play piano or a "proper" instrument, I never had until last year when I started playing guitar but I'm self taught so I never learned how to read music or the "background" you could say. I done music in First year as a subject and was getting B's, I was one of the best in the class. But due to subject restrictions and scheduling, I had to give it up at the beginning of second year in place of one of my other subjects.
    This year, I made the stupid mistake of taking back up the subject after consultation with my music teacher in transition year who suggested I should take it back up. Now, let me tell you, that teacher told me that on the first few days of the year that she would give me a "Crash" course of the syllabus over a few days after school. That never happened, though I have asked numerous times. And now, I'm finding myself in tears over the subject. I really, really hate it. I can understand how people who have played an instrument since they were younger would enjoy it, but because I never done it for junior cert, I'm clueless. Literally. I don't understand a thing the teacher says, and I'm pretty sure she thinks I understand everything and that i'm just not working. When I probably work the hardest out've anyone in that class.
    I failed my christmas test in Music and my parents are now on my backs about it.
    I am really considering moving to Biology which is on the same band as music meaning it'd be an easy swap and I don't do a science at the moment, so it'd be nice to have one. Also, I have done home economics since first year, and from what I've made out, so far the biology class has mostly only done nutrition and food, which I have covered in home ec.

Is it a good idea? I plan on doing higher level Biology. My subjects currently, are below.

Irish (o)
    Maths (o)
    English (H)
    French (o)
    Home Ec (H)
    Business (H)
    Music (H)
    LCVP

Thank you for any help or suggestions cause right now, I really don't know what to do. I just know, I'm really unhappy in music, and I think i'd be happier in Biology. But is it a bad idea taking it up late? Thanks :)

Should I change from Music to Biology now? 12 votes

No.
    0% 0 votes
    Yes.
    16% 2 votes
    I think it's a bad idea taking it up now.
    50% 6 votes
    Leave it a bit longer.
    33% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

It's possible, but you will have to put in a good bit of work to catch up. If you'll have a good bio teacher who would accommodate you coming in late and help you catch up, then it should be ok. Though bear in mind there is a huge amount to learn in biology. It's full of specific details. If you think you'll be fairly interested in it, it shouldn't be a problem though. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

well it can't be worse than failing music in fairness! i cant imagine too much has been covered yet and as you said youve covered most of it, id do it if i were you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Hmmm, well I moved from Chemistry to business this time last year, and I have to admit I was completely out of my depts for the rest of 5th year but I've fully caught up now and I'm aiming for an A in the LC. Now with biology you would probably have to do a lot more catching up than I had to for business but seeing as your in a similar situation to me I'd thought I'd share my experience, feel free to PM me btw if you have any questions :) i should also mention its still a huge risk, personally I love biology but its down to the individual

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Colourmebright

Thanks, I just feel like if I keep at music, I'll just get further out of my depths and it'll be too late to back out then. I think I might take the chance when I have it, if that makes sense.

The Biology teacher seems to be a good one, makes her class write up a mandatory copy like for Junior Cert and Makes the class write chapter summary's/weekly summary's to help them revise along with monthly class tests I believe. I'm not a keen science person, but I believe that I'll have a bigger interest in it than I have now, due to the fact I'm just becoming depressed in music. My boyfriend is starting to really worry about me cause I'm so stressed out and down in the dumps about it, and lets face it, I'm not even half way into fifth year. I think if I buy a good revise wise for biology and catch up on all the chapter summary's and write up all my mandatorys then I'll be just fine. Would you agree? or am I just kidding myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Thanks, I just feel like if I keep at music, I'll just get further out of my depths and it'll be too late to back out then. I think I might take the chance when I have it, if that makes sense.

The Biology teacher seems to be a good one, makes her class write up a mandatory copy like for Junior Cert and Makes the class write chapter summary's/weekly summary's to help them revise along with monthly class tests I believe. I'm not a keen science person, but I believe that I'll have a bigger interest in it than I have now, due to the fact I'm just becoming depressed in music. My boyfriend is starting to really worry about me cause I'm so stressed out and down in the dumps about it, and lets face it, I'm not even half way into fifth year. I think if I buy a good revise wise for biology and catch up on all the chapter summary's and write up all my mandatorys then I'll be just fine. Would you agree? or am I just kidding myself?
    Revise wise is good if you're just starting off but later on in the year get exam essentials, very straight to the point if you get it now you'll probably get confused. Seriously though you sound just like me and chemistry, biology would be very useful to have btw a lot of courses require a science subject, not going to lie though, it's going to be tough, real tough but I can empathise with your pain, my advice is change if you really feel that way, for the 1st few months you'll probably feel like you're sinking but keep at it, that's just my advice though, probably as useful as a chimps :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I moved from Physics to biology mid November in 5th year and got a B2 in the Lc but I worked for it.

Tbh I only worked after Christmas last year properly in biology. But the sooner you start to learn it the better

Advertisement