Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality restaurant Dublin city

Options
  • 14-01-2013 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Myself and the better half are heading to Dublin on the 23 Feb and were looking for a good quality restaurant.
    I tried to book Chapter One but they were fully booked.
    Ideally we would like a tasting menu but were up for a standard 3-5 course meal.
    We eat all foods.
    We want something a bit special
    What would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

The Greenhouse, Dawson Street has been getting rave reviews since it opened.

http://www.thegreenhouserestaurant.ie/home.php

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

We had lunch in Locks the other day, and it was really really gorgeous. Can only imagine that dinner would be equally good!

Lovely canal-side setting as well if you can get a window table.

http://www.locksbrasserie.com/

Have also heard equally good things about their sister place, Pearl Brasserie, although have never been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Ate in San lorenzos on George's st last year with the other half. Fantastic meal, nice atmosphere and not pretentious. Great wine. Pricey though but worth it for a special occasion.

http://www.sanlorenzos.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

locks is fantastic. go there op then walk down the canal for a pint in the lower deck at portobello harbour

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

+1 for The Greenhouse. It's an amazing dining 'experience' and the food is amazing. Very quirkey. Staff are lovely. I'd also be booking ASAP if you choose to go with that one. You won't be disappointed.

Mouth is watering thinking of it!! Nom nom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

+ 1 pearl, the greenhouse and dax brasserie

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

cheers for the suggestions
    was looking at
    Sabor Brazil
    any comments on this restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Only heard of that place recently because they did a half price deal for their seven course menu. 100 euro for two instead of 100 euro per person. It would have to be pretty special for me to pay that price.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the pigs ear has a tasting menu.

love the food there

http://www.thepigsear.com/?page_id=320

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

The Pig's Ear on Nassau Street is really great. As is the Greenhouse. Hugos on Merrion Row is nice too.

• Advertisement

These tasting menus can they be had when only 2 people are dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

If you were willing to go to Chapter One then imo L'Ecrivain is probably the closest to that standard you'll get. €90 for the tasting menu I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Sabor Brazil is very nice. The food probably isn't as nice as some of the other places mentioned but as an experience it is fantastic. You will be made feel like royalty there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

cson wrote: »
    If you were willing to go to Chapter One then imo L'Ecrivain is probably the closest to that standard you'll get. €90 for the tasting menu I think.

L'Ecrivain is a great restaurant, I would definately recommend it.
    Its much better than Chapter 1 in my opinion.
    I havent tried Locks or the Greenhouse though

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

cheers for the suggestions
    was looking at
    Sabor Brazil
    any comments on this restaurant

I was there around 2 years ago, and loved it. It really is special! This was when they still had a la carte menu, they only have the €100 tasting menu now :(

But if you want to impress....Sabor is the place!

Also wonderful are Pearl Brasserie & Dax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Trocadero just of dame street is very nice and would be nice if you were willing to go to chapter one!

http://www.trocadero.ie/

Hey guys and girls.
    Ive booked The GreenHouse
    Going to go for the 7 Course tasting menu with matching wines
    Shes going for the 5 course with wines and the SELECTION OF ARTISAN CHEESES as an extra course.
    Really looking forward to this
    Will get pics and do a review of it once completed
    Cheers for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Hope you enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Good choice! Jealous! Let us know how it goes..... Oh and whether they do tables for one....... Sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Would you recommend Isabel's. It looks good although bit of a lack of choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I was looking for a nice place for my friend's birthday on Saturday.

I couldn't afford the Greenhouse (at least not this month), but I have booked Bite, a new place on Sth Frederick St.

I will try and post some feedback here next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I couldn't afford the Greenhouse (at least not this month), but I have booked Bite

Good choice, a bit heavy on the chips in my opinion (I know it's sold as a fish and chips place!), but the seafood is excellent, try the baby stuffed squid if it's still on the menu. The lobster burger is really good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    We had lunch in Locks the other day, and it was really really gorgeous. Can only imagine that dinner would be equally good!

Lovely canal-side setting as well if you can get a window table.

http://www.locksbrasserie.com/

Have also heard equally good things about their sister place, Pearl Brasserie, although have never been there.

I had dinner in Locks a few weeks ago. Found it massively overpriced for very mediocre food. Their steak came with fries which were literally crystalline with salt. Like the salty putty you get at the end of a bag of chipper chips when you've drowned them in salt and vinegar.

Here's a few restaurants I like in Dublin anyway

Saba - Asian
    Rustic Stone
    La Bodega - Tapas
    Bang Cafe

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Loved Bite when I was there. Great food and delicious cocktails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I'm afraid Bite didn't work out - my friend (whose birthday it was) hated it on sight and so we left. We (just) got a table in the Unicorn which was very nice.

I may try Bite on my own in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm afraid Bite didn't work out - my friend (whose birthday it was) hated it on sight and so we left. We (just) got a table in the Unicorn which was very nice.

That's mad!!

The Unicorns always a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Twenty10 wrote: »
    Only heard of that place recently because they did a half price deal for their seven course menu. 100 euro for two instead of 100 euro per person. It would have to be pretty special for me to pay that price.

That deal looks to be back up and running.

http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/deals/644

Advertisement