Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public art in Viking triangle

Options
  • 14-01-2013 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Delighted that there is finally going to be a john condon memorial put up in viking triangle, other cities war dead have pride of place where we hide ours in Ireland. There is also a 2 seat strongbow and aoife seats/sculpoture happening too, both look great.

Fair play to city council and people drving the viking triangle. Good news it seems with the reg getting the cash for re-opening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Max Powers wrote: »
    Delighted that there is finally going to be a john condon memorial put up in viking triangle, other cities war dead have pride of place where we hide ours in Ireland. There is also a 2 seat strongbow and aoife seats/sculpoture happening too, both look great.

Fair play to city council and people drving the viking triangle. Good news it seems with the reg getting the cash for re-opening.

They put a wooden model of that John Condon sculpture up a good while ago to get an idea of it, now unless they have changed it, it is huge and ugly taking up and disrupting the open-ness of the square. Have you got a link to the current plans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

I read this wrong a couple of times and thought it said "Pubic Art" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Ha! I thought I was the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Public art in any form is good. esp for tourism, both local, national and international. the Viking triangle seems to be the investment hub for Waterford at the moment. Great Museums, Theatre, Cafes. How many local people have visited the Bishops Palace, Medieval Museum, Reginalds Tower. in my work place, anyone from outside the county has, the locals have not. very strange not to visit your own history, on your own doorstep.
    i believe there were plans for a Sculpture trail through the city, hope this idea can be revived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

jennygirl wrote: »
    Public art in any form is good. esp for tourism, both local, national and international. the Viking triangle seems to be the investment hub for Waterford at the moment. Great Museums, Theatre, Cafes. How many local people have visited the Bishops Palace, Medieval Museum, Reginalds Tower. in my work place, anyone from outside the county has, the locals have not. very strange not to visit your own history, on your own doorstep.
    i believe there were plans for a Sculpture trail through the city, hope this idea can be revived.

I have to disagree. Look at that horrible coffin they put in John Robert's square.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

jennygirl wrote: »

I also have to disagree, I'm all for art but if you saw the structure they had in place to give an idea of the sculpture you would also agree, it was just about 9 or 12 square pillars right in the middle of the square, it would actually ruin the square if put in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

could hear a dublin couple saying lets go to the viking triangle its nice down there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

could hear a dublin couple saying lets go to the viking triangle its nice down there

great to hear things like that. it is a lovely area. nicer obviously when works finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I like what they're doing down there, but I'm really not mad about the name "Viking Triangle". It just sounds so makey-uppey.

On the continent, the pretty much universal expression is some translation of "old town" (e.g. citta' vecchia, stare miasto).

...or do we not want to use the word "town" in anything to do with Waterford? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

HAHAHAHA! Terrific!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I have to disagree. Look at that horrible coffin they put in John Robert's square.

Thats a fantastic work of art compared to the heap of crap they installed 100metres away with a bunch of tv screens in it,

Myself and my mrs were walking past it when it was being constructed one night, we commented to each other on what a total waste of money it was and it wasn't in keeping with anything in the area.

We were obviously overheard by somebody supervising the work...perhaps the person that designed it. Anyway she approached us and commented on how much of a great piece it was and how it wasn't just newyork and paris that should get things like this.

We just looked at each other and laughed and walked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Cabaal wrote: »
    Thats a fantastic work of art compared to the heap of crap they installed 100metres away with a bunch of tv screens in it.

Yeah, how they even that got past the planners is beyond me. It destroys the view of JR Square down from where Dunnes is. Pointless, ugly thing.

Advertisement