Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV set to go into administration

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

No matter what happens I'm 200 euro out its very hard to not get pissed off

20 or 30 euro I could hack but 200?? **** you HMV...

Rang Liffey valley and was told don't hold out too much hope.. The ****ing neck on the manager brushing me off like that

To be fair it's not actually the manager's fault. The manager's hands are tied in this situation, they were told they can't accept the vouchers. Also the manager has just most likely lost their job. I understand how frustrating it is being out of pocket that much but try think of it from their perspective before taking it out on the staff.

EDIT: Mentioned above. That's what I get for not refreshing the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No matter what happens I'm 200 euro out its very hard to not get pissed off

20 or 30 euro I could hack but 200?? **** you HMV...

Rang Liffey valley and was told don't hold out too much hope.. The ****ing neck on the manager brushing me off like that

The neck on you for being pissed off by something he was most likely ordered to do, yeah you lost 200 but as said before he and his entire staff most likely just lost their jobs, people need to get over themselves and stop blaming the store because they didnt spend they're own vouchers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

VinLieger wrote: »
    The neck on you for being pissed off by something he was most likely ordered to do, yeah you lost 200 but as said before he and his entire staff most likely just lost their jobs, people need to get over themselves and stop blaming the store because they didnt spend they're own vouchers

Im sorry, but if I was robbed out of €200 by HMV, I wouldn't worry that much about staff I dont know, possibly loosing their jobs, as all id be worried about is getting my €200 back. It is a lot of money you know.

Tinie wrote: »
    Im sorry, but if I was robbed out of €200 by HMV, I wouldn't worry that much about staff I dont know, possibly loosing their jobs, as all id be worried about is getting my €200 back. It is a lot of money you know.

Yes but the point is there's no need getting angry at the staff. It's not their fault and they can't do anything to help you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well, that's the difference between you and me.

I'd be very, very upset about the 200 euro, and would perhaps try and find a way to get it back, but I would be acutely aware of the staff and the hardship they are facing, and wouldn't dream of making what must feel like the end of the world for some of them worse. It's called empathy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Yes but the point is there's no need getting angry at the staff. It's not their fault and they can't do anything to help you.
    They're the representatives of the company, they're also the individuals who sold vouchers to people in the run up to and during Christmas.
    I think its very understandable that people may vent their frustrations out on them for that reason alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Terrible news about HMV, hope someone buys them out and it stays open
    C14N wrote: »
    The most expensive games I have ever seen in there are €59.99 for a few games and I see that everywhere. Granted some of their pre-owned prices are stupid.......

This is ridiculas... Example right here, went into Gamestop last week to pick up Blops 2 for the WiiU, €69.99 :eek:, went into HMV, €56.99, picked it up in HMV, now, its not a great game and went back in on Sunday just gone, traded it back in and got a Voucher for the face value and was going to hold off on using it for Dead Space 3 on the 8th, guess thats not happening for the time being, ah well.

But yes, Gamestop is a RIP on new titles full stop, their second hand is terrible too, I have stopped buying 2nd hand in Gamestop over the past year and I have been much happier buying new from HMV and Smyths. Gamestop can go to hell!

CEX are just as bad with 2nd as Gamestop are too, but sometimes you can get lucky.

We need a new retailer (Irish maybe) to set up a games company. They would make a killing if they charge the right price.

/Rant

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

They're the representatives of the company, they're also the individuals who sold vouchers to people in the run up to and during Christmas.
    I think its very understandable that people may vent their frustrations out on them for that reason alone.

I don't think it's ever understandable for one person to treat another rudely, tbh, especially when they've personally done nothing wrong to them (it's the administrators fault, not the floor staff).

Why do the rules of civility go out of the window because they're in a shop? It's like people who think it's fine to treat people like crap online too. They're still people, and people going through a horrible time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Terrible news about HMV, hope someone buys them out and it stays open

This is ridiculas... Example right here, went into Gamestop last week to pick up Blops 2 for the WiiU, €69.99 :eek:, went into HMV, €56.99, picked it up in HMV, now, its not a great game and went back in on Sunday just gone, traded it back in and got a Voucher for the face value and was going to hold off on using it for Dead Space 3 on the 8th, guess thats not happening for the time being, ah well.

But yes, Gamestop is a RIP on new titles full stop, their second hand is terrible too, I have stopped buying 2nd hand in Gamestop over the past year and I have been much happier buying new from HMV and Smyths. Gamestop can go to hell!

CEX are just as bad with 2nd as Gamestop are too, but sometimes you can get lucky.

We need a new retailer (Irish maybe) to set up a games company. They would make a killing if they charge the right price.

/Rant

It's been covered a few times here by an Irish retailer, but to compete on price, they would need to operate at a loss. Maybe if HMV was gone, and no one was selling new games for below cost they could complete on price, but that price would be more expensive than we are currently used to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They aren't. That guy who did the Press Release on the news earlier today is the representative for the company. The instore staff are just "Clerks."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

/Rant

But what is the right prices? The "rip off" price that people see on new games - especially in a small market like Ireland - often represents very little profit to the store itself and may even represent a loss on the wholesale price that they've bought it for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Trouble is; what is the right price? If I remember correctly, someone here once wrote up something about how stores like Gamestop, HMV etc actually sell some games at a loss, as they're supposed to charge more for them. This can be seen mostly clearly when you try to download a new game from the PS Store and it costs €60-70. That's the price companies want the game to be sold at. Because Gamestop make most of their money from pre-owned, they can sell games cheaper than the €60-70 and still make a profit overall (though the fact they've been raising their prices would suggest they're not making as much of a profit now). HMV/XtraVision/Smyths/Tesco can sell games cheaper than Gamestop because they sell things besides games which can balance their losses on games.

I might be talking complete horseh*t (probably most likely), but if I am right about that, then I think it would be next to impossible for a new Irish chain of games stores (or even one store) to start up and sell games for cheaper than Gamestop, especially without having an existing stock of pre-owned games.

What? You seem to think the staff knew this was coming and therefore maliciously sold these vouchers knowing people wouldnt get their money back?

I don't think it's ever understandable for one person to treat another rudely, tbh, especially when they've personally done nothing wrong to them (it's the administrators fault, not the floor staff).

Why do the rules of civility go out of the window because they're in a shop? It's like people who think it's fine to treat people like crap online too. They're still people, and people going through a horrible time.

I'm not excusing people treating the staff badly, but people are frustrated.
    And as agents of the company they will be the first port of call.
    If you work for them, you represent them in my view. Just as I represent my employer while on the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Well look at it from his point of view. He's done nothing wrong and possibly woke up this morning to learn that he and his staff may well be collecting dole in a few weeks without much chance of getting another job in the near future. On top of this, he's probably had plenty of people coming in and calling throughout the day to give him rants for something that wasn't his fault. Are you honestly saying you'd still chirpily and politely respond to the umpteenth caller demanding their money back?

So I'm sorry but if I was robbed of my full time I employment I wouldn't worry that much about customers that I don't know possibly losing their Christmas presents as all I'd be worried about is keeping my job. It is a lot of money you know.

What? You seem to think the staff knew this was coming and therefore maliciously sold these vouchers knowing people wouldnt get their money back?
    You can see how some people may see it that way.

Well, that's the difference between you and me.

I'd be very, very upset about the 200 euro, and would perhaps try and find a way to get it back, but I would be acutely aware of the staff and the hardship they are facing, and wouldn't dream of making what must feel like the end of the world for some of them worse. It's called empathy.

No, no I didnt mean I would berate the staff or anything, I know theres nothing they can do. I mean its getting annoying reading people saying to stop complaining about your voucher not being redeemable and to consider people that are possibly loosing theyre jobs instead. utter nonsense.

No i cant tbh and anyone who does see it that way is a paranoid moron

C14N wrote: »

So I'm sorry but if I was robbed of my full time I employment I wouldn't worry that much about customers that I don't know possibly losing their Christmas presents as all I'd be worried about is keeping my job. It is a lot of money you know.
    Haha its funny because you copied what I wrote but replaced a few words LOLZ XD

You misinterpreted what I said, read my rebuttal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

The neck on me?? I'm not a wealthy man I'm a joe soap with a huge mortgage 2 kids wife can't work through illness. 200 euro is a lot for me. And to those saying losing jobs yeah and arse fell out for me over a year ago so I'm still struggling working again but financially strangled...

The ****ing neck on you for judging me without knowing me or my situation.

Also I wanted to purchase a console on Sunday and I was told no stock currently and would be midweek before they get one so hold onto vouchers till then by that manager... So am I right to be pissed?? Yes I am the same manager cost me 200 to call back days after HMV announce this...

Ok they MIGHT lose jobs IF a buyer isn't found but I'm defo out of pocket no matter what happens.

When I lost job nobody gave a **** about me why would I care about them?? They will get redundancy etc I get duck all!!!
    Jesus Internet forums and the angels that troll them :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I'm not excusing people treating the staff badly, but people are frustrated.
    And as agents of the company they will be the first port of call.
    If you work for them, you represent them in my view. Just as I represent my employer while on the job.

I've worked customer services in a call centre before and the rude and abrasive customers were the one I couldn't give a crap about. Id you treat me like **** I don't give a f**k what happens to you or your money. I would be far more likely to go the extra mile for the polite and friendly people, but the simple fact is 50% of the time my hands were tied and all I could do was give them my sympathy.

The neck on me?? I'm not a wealthy man I'm a joe soap with a huge mortgage 2 kids wife can't work through illness. 200 euro is a lot for me. And to those saying losing jobs yeah and arse fell out for me over a year ago so I'm still struggling working again but financially strangled...

The ****ing neck on you for judging me without knowing me or my situation.

Also I wanted to purchase a console on Sunday and I was told no stock currently and would be midweek before they get one so hold onto vouchers till then by that manager... So am I right to be pissed?? Yes I am the same manager cost me 200 to call back days after HMV announce this...

Ok they MIGHT lose jobs IF a buyer isn't found but I'm defo out of pocket no matter what happens.

When I lost job nobody gave a **** about me why would I care about them?? They will get redundancy etc I get duck all!!!

But as I said in my last post the manager can't do anything about it. He was given orders to not accept any gift vouchers, so taking out your frustration on the manager when his hands are tied is just ridiculous. Nobody's trolling you here and your understandably annoyed at the company but don't take it out on the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭quikquest

I actually feel very bad for the staff. Who enjoys going to work? Not that many of us here.

But imagine going to work with the doubt that your job is about to go at any second? That you don't know if you will still have it next week? That you might loose it and not be able to pay bills for yourself or your family? All the worry/anixiety and stress! And then to top it off because of the way the law works, out of your control, your going to have angry people screaming and shouting at you all day over something outside their control??!?!?! Must be soul destroying for the staff :(

I understand that they are frontline staff, but in fairness there is actually nothing they can do. Its not like they really can accept the vouchers and just don't want to. Its actually impossible for them to accept them so people going mad are wanting the impossible.

I think people should complain to whoever it is that allows this to happen. Some TD or whoever, as it shouldn't be allowed that they can sell stuff but not accept vouchers they sold. It is very very wrong. It is also very very wrong that HMV sold vouchers when they knew this might happen but it wasn't the young guy or girl in Grafton st who made this decision.

What do we need to learn from this? NEVER EVER EVER BUY BLOODY GIFT VOUCHERS! ANY store could go tomorrow you just don't know and anyway the person your giving them to might prefer to buy the product online or somewhere else!

AND whoever your giving the voucher to would prob love you a lot better if you handed them €100 to buy some DVDs in a choice of their own. Hell just stick the €100 cash in a card and print out a picture of the shops logo if you still want to give a voucher :)

So what goes around comes around and because you didnt get any sympathy they dont deserve any either? God what ever happened to empathy, surely of all people after going through what you did you might be able to find a trace of sympathy?
    Also we dont know IF they will get redundancy, nobody from game did and this is a very similar case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wonder if http://www.3dgamescorp.com/ will try again. They opened a store on Grafton Street in the run up to last Christmas but it was closed within a matter of months. High prices, staff with no knowledge of the product and a lack of new games did for them - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056104812

But as I said in my last post the manager can't do anything about it. He was given orders to not accept any gift vouchers, so taking out your frustration on the manager when his hands are tied is just ridiculous. Nobody's trolling you here and your understandably annoyed at the company but don't take it out on the staff.

Who said I abused anyone??

I was calm and collected! I am an adult a father a husband not 19 full of testosterone looking for a row!!!

Who said I abused anyone??

I was calm and collected! I am an adult a father a husband not 19 full of testosterone looking for a row!!!

And well done for being so calm but saying he has a neck on him for being a bit curt with you after probably having to deal with 100 other similar calls which may not have been so polite is a bit unsympathetic even if you are out 200

So what goes around comes around and because you didnt get any sympathy they dont deserve any either? God what ever happened to empathy, surely of all people after going through what you did you might be able to find a trace of sympathy?
    Also we dont know IF they will get redundancy, nobody from game did and this is a very similar case.

IF HMV fold, and staff are let go. They will be either paid from HMV or the government but if HMV can't pay them the government HAVE TO!!! It's the law. I would appreciate you backing off tbh I think your just trying to rile me now I would prefer if you didn't respond if your gonna do nothing but make me look a ****!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The people in charge at HMV probably knew, but the staff in each store would be told little to nothing about what was going on within the company. If they weren't told to stop selling the vouchers, of course they would continue to sell the vouchers. Why wouldn't they? They'd have no idea of the company's finances.

• Advertisement

Remember I'm out 200 euro not 20!!

I'm annoyed I couldn't spend voucher on Sunday tbh.. Considering most stock isn't theirs if no orders coming they must have thought something was wrong

Advertisement