Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV set to go into administration

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Penn wrote: »
    The people in charge at HMV probably knew, but the staff in each store would be told little to nothing about what was going on within the company. If they weren't told to stop selling the vouchers, of course they would continue to sell the vouchers. Why wouldn't they? They'd have no idea of the company's finances.

But store managers or regional managers had to know something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Penn wrote: »
    The people in charge at HMV probably knew, but the staff in each store would be told little to nothing about what was going on within the company. If they weren't told to stop selling the vouchers, of course they would continue to sell the vouchers. Why wouldn't they? They'd have no idea of the company's finances.

I'm not disputing that, just that its understandable that peoples backs are up.

I'd imagine there's a lot of disappointed kids and frustrated parents out there right now and staff should keep that in mind when dealing with them.

VinLieger wrote: »
    And well done for being so calm but saying he has a neck on him for being a bit curt with you after probably having to deal with 100 other similar calls which may not have been so polite is a bit unsympathetic even if you are out 200

Sorry for having a go at u!! Just so annoyed tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Id agree here that Regional managers must have been aware of a problem with finances and maybe store managers might have had their own suspicions through stock levels or other factors but maybe not "official" knowledge, however people claiming the staff actually selling the vouchers had this knowledge and were doing it maliciously is a bit paranoid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If they do come out of administration, they'll most likely honour the gift vouchers - GAME did in the UK. Thing to worry about is whether they will make it out and whether Irish stores will be closed even if they do.

• Advertisement

Id agree here that Regional managers must have been aware of a problem with finances and maybe store managers might have had their own suspicions through stock levels or other factors but maybe not "official" knowledge, however people claiming the staff actually selling the vouchers had this knowledge and were doing it maliciously is a bit paranoid

Ah god few I imagine think general staff had any knowledge, those that do think that are clutching at straws alright

If they do come out of administration, they'll most likely honour the gift vouchers - GAME did in the UK. Thing to worry about is whether they will make it out and whether Irish stores will be closed even if they do.

Oh you can be sure Irish operations are gone..

Uk prob different..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 hey19

Oh you can be sure Irish operations are gone..

Uk prob different..
    They have some neck open for business and they wont accept their own vouchers....bloody cheek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I buy a lot of games but rarely in HMV as they seem to be more expensive than the other places (Gamestop, Smyths etc...) I'll miss the great prices they have for DVDs though :(

I feel really sorry for the people who work there also :(

• Just reading through here, this has been on the cards for every dvd / cd / video game retailer for the last five years at least. Bank on xtravision and gamestop next. Sad fact but digital distribution is here to stay. Netflix & new consoles with digital distrubution at the helm. All these companys need to get with the program. At least Xtravision is trying to attempt digital / online sales.

As for the voucher problem he's dead right to be ratty about 200 beans no matter what the situation is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Remember I'm out 200 euro not 20!!

That's a lot of vouchers to have saved up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If the vouchers were bought with a credit card you may be able to reverse the transaction if you contact your credit card company, thats visa or mastercard or whatever, not your bank.

It's a shame to see them go. I still prefer buying CDs instead of downloads, I like the booklets that you get with lyrics and photos and stuff. I've actually spent a lot of money in HMV over the last year, €149 on a pair of bose headphones and I don't know how much on CDs and dvds so I'm going to miss them. There is no other good shop in Galway that has a proper selection of music and films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The letter posted was from a director level. Very little would have been mentioned onto store/regional managers if any at all prior to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

kingtut wrote: »
    I buy a lot of games but rarely in HMV as they seem to be more expensive than the other places (Gamestop, Smyths etc...) I'll miss the great prices they have for DVDs though :(

I feel really sorry for the people who work there also :(

Are you mad HMV has been cheaper on all new releases for the past 8-12 months I hate going into gamestop everything even there used games are massivly over priced, If anything i'd rather they were closing down

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Are you mad HMV has been cheaper on all new releases for the past 8-12 months I hate going into gamestop everything even there used games are massivly over priced, If anything i'd rather they were closing down

Normally by €10 . GameStop are normally the dearest out of them all

F1ngers wrote: »
    That's a lot of vouchers to have saved up.

I had 40 on a card my wife for my 30th put 160 euro on a giftcard and gave me to buy a new console.

Btw we don't have excessive funds so that was a big present

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lol. Ever ran a store? I have.

I'd bet considerable money the store managers knew the company was underperforming, and that was it.

By the way I have every sympathy for your position... but the ire should be aimed at Deloitte, or perhaps the senior management at HMV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,426 ✭✭✭✭noodler

IF HMV fold, and staff are let go. They will be either paid from HMV or the government but if HMV can't pay them the government HAVE TO!!! It's the law. I would appreciate you backing off tbh I think your just trying to rile me now I would prefer if you didn't respond if your gonna do nothing but make me look a ****!!!

If the administrators play poor mouth then, as of Budget 2013, I don't think the staff will get anything.

Everyone has a right to statutory redundancy but previously employers are were given an 85% rebate for this.

In the last Budget this was pretty much done away with.

I don't know how high up redundancy ranks in terms of creditors.

I have said already my beef isn't with staff it's with HMV as a company. The 160 euro voucher was bought last Thursday and on Sunday I tried to buy a console and was told by manager none in stock we should be due delivery on Wednesday so just keep voucher til Wednesday. The issue is why are HMV still open for business when a voucher that my wife bought 5 days ago will not be accepted.. Plus they didn't have console instock so I couldn't spend voucher on Sunday...

Ah it's terrible annoying, just raging now I can't rebut my wii u. Sold mine before Christmas as was strapped for cash and now this FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

I have said already my beef isn't with staff it's with HMV as a company. The 160 euro voucher was bought last Thursday and on Sunday I tried to buy a console and was told by manager none in stock we should be due delivery on Wednesday so just keep voucher til Wednesday. The issue is why are HMV still open for business when a voucher that my wife bought 5 days ago will not be accepted.. Plus they didn't have console instock so I couldn't spend voucher on Sunday...

Ah it's terrible annoying, just raging now I can't rebut my wii u. Sold mine before Christmas as was strapped for cash and now this FFS

i feel your pain, i have 150e lost too

• Advertisement

i feel your pain, i have 150e lost too

It's easy for those to say we should care about staff and job losses if they haven't been burned. So much money to just throw around lightly terrible they can trade after screwing so many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I heard in limerick (98 fm) people are going into hmv, putting their vouchers on the ground and walking out with goods. I don't think I'd have the balls to do this but fair play to them. I mean stealing is for knackers but it's like hmv took your money in exchange for goods and then said nah you can't have your goods which is also a knacker move. I also heard staff im limerick getting awful abuse from customers. Like people above, it's not the staffs fault, just take a game and leave your voucher on the floor on the way out.

So seriously, anyone do that here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Tinie wrote: »
    Haha its funny because you copied what I wrote but replaced a few words LOLZ XD

You misinterpreted what I said, read my rebuttal.

You seem to have misinterpreted what I said as some sort of joke. Your original post was in response to a story about someone who was pissed off at a clerk for being huffy on the phone and the gist of what you said was "I don't care if some guy is looking at redundancy and just found out today, I still expect him to be completely professional and polite on the phone to all his customers".

Of course anyone out of pocket is going to be annoyed and if I had HMV vouchers (especially if they were worth as much as €200) you can be sure I'd be fuming too, but everyone here is annoyed together. It's not fair to start saying "the neck on that lad" when he's in an even worse state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I heard in limerick (98 fm) people are going into hmv, putting their vouchers on the ground and walking out with goods. I don't think I'd have the balls to do this but fair play to them. I mean stealing is for knackers but it's like hmv took your money in exchange for goods and then said nah you can't have your goods which is also a knacker move. I also heard staff im limerick getting awful abuse from customers. Like people above, it's not the staffs fault, just take a game and leave your voucher on the floor on the way out.

Well I think all the games would be behind the counter and not in the display cases. I guess you could grab a pair of headphones or a boxset that has the disks in it.

They used to have a big burly security guy at the door in the cork hmv but I don't think there's any security these days.

I wouldn't recommend this though, I'm sure the "law" would be on hmvs side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Levi87

Essentially grabbing stock off shelves is not going to help The staff either. Staff need customers right now. Not A looting Fest!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

i know one of the regionals in the UK and they honestly didn't have a clue there's been rumours of administration hanging over the company since '08. stock levels didn't fluctuate to much over the past year according to him a bit less stocked this Christmas but nothing out of the ordinary considering trends (nothing like Game).

the shop staff, managers and most regionals have about as much clue as the rest of us as the corporate management are completely disconnected from frontline staff.

my sympathies for the staff who must be receiving a torrent of **** right now and not even knowing if they have a job at the end of the month especially the guys in limerick and cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

33463903.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It's easy for those to say we should care about staff and job losses if they haven't been burned. So much money to just throw around lightly terrible they can trade after screwing so many

Yes, it is easy for me to feel for someone who's potentially about to lose their job and has no way to feed their kid or pay their mortgage yet still has to get up in the morning and find some way- any way- to deal with it and then take on the army of (rightly) annoyed people like you in the desperate hope that someone will take over and keep them on if they play ball and deal with what must be an absolute torrent of hate right now.

You're actually both on the same side, all of you have been stung by Deliotte and I hope there is some intervention to keep them from shafting people, somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,426 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yes, it is easy for me to feel for someone who's potentially about to lose their job and has no way to feed their kid or pay their mortgage yet still has to get up in the morning and find some way- any way- to deal with it and then take on the army of (rightly) annoyed people like you in the desperate hope that someone will take over and keep them on if they play ball and deal with what must be an absolute torrent of hate right now.

You're actually both on the same side, all of you have been stung by Deliotte and I hope there is some intervention to keep them from shafting people, somehow.

Not sure Deliotte are really doing anything out of the ordinary here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

That sucks, I've always found the staff in Cruises Street to be very good and helpful. There's no excuse for the abuse, it's not their fault and they're suffering more than anyone.

Hopefully everything will work out for them, although I don't think it's too likely atm.

Advertisement