Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV set to go into administration

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Cousin of mine worked in HMV in town she said they are acting the bollox with staff too.. She is doubtful she will get anything from them. Isn't it crazy to think they could be operating up north giving they screwed so many people down sourh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

This is all terrible news, I feel so sorry for all the Irish staff this morning! I hope they get their wage next week and get redundancy very soon.

But, on a lighter note, when this was announced on Monday evening, I rang my credit card company to find out how I would go about getting my money back for the voucher I had gotten the day before (sunday). Lady in the credit card company adviced she did not know how all this was going to play out BUT she would start the process of getting the money back for me but wouldnt be able to process it at all at the time as they were in the dark as much as anyone else in Ireland.

So this morning I just happened to check my credit card and saw a full refund had been done! BRILLIANT!

So my advice to anyone who paid with credit card, get in contact with your CC company and they will help you out.

Sorry if this is no help to the guy with the €200 voucher, I do hope they will offer something to you in the next days/weeks coming to cover it.

Not great news for the poor staff but I'm glad I got my money back, phew.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Stag's Head in Dublin are accepting HMV vouchers in return for lunch...for some strange reason.

So it's not a total loss if you have one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Kiith wrote: »
    Stag's Head in Dublin are accepting HMV vouchers in return for lunch...for some strange reason.

Because they recognise people are angry and are trying to make them feel better, also its great PR and they arent the only ones http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/dont-know-what-to-do-with-your-hmv-vouchers-757915-Jan2013/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I find it really hard to imagine that third parties offering to accept the vouchers will break even? Like...if someone comes in a buys 200 euro worth of food, is that really worth the publicity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Zillah wrote: »
    I find it really hard to imagine that third parties offering to accept the vouchers will break even? Like...if someone comes in a buys 200 euro worth of food, is that really worth the publicity?

In most cases they arent offering the full amount, some are simply giving 10 euro off no matter the amount other are offering 50%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Zillah wrote: »

I'd say very few have €200 anyway, most people probably have €10-€30. It's some really solid publicity too, not just a free sample but a "they helped me out when I was pissed off" mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Folks in the Limerick shops holding a sit in , owed money since christmas apparently http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0117/sit-in-at-hmv-limerick.html

• This is all terrible news, I feel so sorry for all the Irish staff this morning! I hope they get their wage next week and get redundancy very soon.

But, on a lighter note, when this was announced on Monday evening, I rang my credit card company to find out how I would go about getting my money back for the voucher I had gotten the day before (sunday). Lady in the credit card company adviced she did not know how all this was going to play out BUT she would start the process of getting the money back for me but wouldnt be able to process it at all at the time as they were in the dark as much as anyone else in Ireland.

So this morning I just happened to check my credit card and saw a full refund had been done! BRILLIANT!

So my advice to anyone who paid with credit card, get in contact with your CC company and they will help you out.

Sorry if this is no help to the guy with the €200 voucher, I do hope they will offer something to you in the next days/weeks coming to cover it.

Not great news for the poor staff but I'm glad I got my money back, phew.

Good Call; Quote RTE News:

'However, anyone who bought vouchers as a gift using their credit card/debit card can obtain a refund through a 'chargeback' from their card issuer.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

sheehy83 wrote: »

Mind boggling stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

560842_10152404648630062_1485556414_n.jpg

as much as I hate to say it. Fair play gamestop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fair play indeed..... Great gesture.

Still.... that 10% will take Gamestop's prices down to HMV prices. :p:)

*runs*

Limericks wrote: »
    560842_10152404648630062_1485556414_n.jpg

as much as I hate to say it. Fair play gamestop

So my 200 voucher is worth 10% off a 50 euro game??

YESSSSSS WHO SAID THINGS WERE NOT GONNA GET BETTER?? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In fairness that Gamestop one sounds like you just have to show your card rather than hand it over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Fair play to them. They will build up some goodwill with this gesture now.

At least you may get something now if you were buying a game.

gamestop are offering that as a way of getting new business they aint out to be mates with us they want all of our business.. give it a month or two and we could be paying 65 euro for new releases instore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

gamestop are offering that as a way of getting new business they aint out to be mates with us they want all of our business.. give it a month or two and we could be paying 65 euro for new releases instore

really? I always assumed gamestop were in business to make friends.

really? I always assumed gamestop were in business to make friends.

You missed my obvious sarcasm and reply with your own??

Ok... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Don't Smyths give you 10% discount on new releases with their loyalty card? Doesn't seem like a great promo from Gamestop tbh.

Instead of paying €45 in HMV, you can now pay €54 in Gamestop. Yay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Don't Smyths give you 10% discount on new releases with their loyalty card? Doesn't seem like a great promo from Gamestop tbh.

Instead of paying €45 in HMV, you can now pay €54 in Gamestop. Yay?

Symths loyalty card does up to 10% discount on certain new game releases. Most of the time its less than 10%, if any discount at all these days.

Fair play to gamestop though, better than nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I heard Sober Lane and SoHo in Cork (two bars) are letting people trae in their HMV vouchers against food or drink in their bars or restaurants.

Fairly decent of them!

According to the facebook page, all staff will receive their pay next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I hope they get it, but Ray D'Arcy had someone on during the week who had been in a similar situation with a different company. They were having a sit-in following company closure, they were promised payment by the receivers so they left. Seven months later, they still haven't received a cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

You know one aspect of this that hasn't been touched on, and given that this is the gaming forum, is that it's going to be an absolute pain in the hole when the new consoles launch. Since the introduction of the last gen we've lost Virgin/Zavvi, Game and potentially now HMV. Cork city Xtra-visions are all gone as far as I'm aware. That's a huge chunk of retail capacity. We're left with Gamestop (which I've always hated), Tesco, Argos and the likes of Harvey Norman. It'll be a disaster.

^This is a true thing. Specially if it turns out to be one of those 'set your own price for it' deals, we're gonna get screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

You know one aspect of this that hasn't been touched on, and given that this is the gaming forum, is that it's going to be an absolute pain in the hole when the new consoles launch. Since the introduction of the last gen we've lost Virgin/Zavvi, Game and potentially now HMV. Cork city Xtra-visions are all gone as far as I'm aware. That's a huge chunk of retail capacity. We're left with Gamestop (which I've always hated), Tesco, Argos and the likes of Harvey Norman. It'll be a disaster.

There is always Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There is always Amazon.

Amazon are very good when it comes to returns but there's still a delay involved compared to B&M.

You have to sort it out with them first then ship the thing off and then wait for it to be checked out before it's repaired or replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Breaking news HMV UK stores are accepting vouchers from tuesday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21118711

What is the story with the Irish operation is it closed for good? Could you travel to the north or England with Irish vouchers? Is their any hope on the Irish Voucher situation?

Advertisement